Specialized S-works road crankset (2017) weight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

endershan

by endershan

Got my crank shipped in today, it has 130mm spider and 172.5mm length. The chainrings are Praxis 53/39. It's not light, but hopefully the new design will enhance stiffness and reduce the possibility of creaks.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Interesting, I didn't know they'd changed the axle design.

I thought it was a pretty good design. I've had 3 sets and never had a problem. Very easy to remove for cleaning.

If I do ever get a creak (rare) it's because it needs a touch more grease, but this is a 5 minute job so not a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3l2jY6yi-8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

endershan

by endershan

cyclespeed wrote:Interesting, I didn't know they'd changed the axle design.

I thought it was a pretty good design. I've had 3 sets and never had a problem. Very easy to remove for cleaning.

If I do ever get a creak (rare) it's because it needs a touch more grease, but this is a 5 minute job so not a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3l2jY6yi-8

No 2017 specialized bikes are equipped with this crank except S-Works Venge Vias Disc. I wonder if road bikes with disc brake have chainline farther from the center of the bike, which could be the reason for them to re-design the crank? The spindle seems wider, I might need more spacer to install it.

spartan

by spartan

my new 2017 etap 53/39 gxp crankset with original rings weighed 605gm. if i upgrade to praxis buzz saw rings can get it to
580gm. don't think specialized will produce cranks in the future. no weight advantage vs sram/shimano.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

sun

by sun

Can you take a pic of the back of the drive side? Does it still have that lock ring that required a special tool? I'm curious if this still works with the Quarq spider for Specialized.

endershan

by endershan

sun wrote:Can you take a pic of the back of the drive side? Does it still have that lock ring that required a special tool? I'm curious if this still works with the Quarq spider for Specialized.

I don't have the crank right by me, but I can confirm that the Quarq spider still works, and the locking ring is still the same. This pic of Venge Vias Disc was taken on a test ride event of Specialized.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

sun

by sun

Ok thanks for linking that.

romalor

by romalor

shut up Hanseunghee
Stop posting just to be able to post what you have to sell

endershan

by endershan

romalor wrote:shut up Hanseunghee
Stop posting just to be able to post what you have to sell

Did you mistake me with someone else? Coz I googled and that is a Korean name, which is not mine. Wrong nationality.

junchen

by junchen

I think there's a hanseunglee who is spamming the forum.. His posts have been removed and he's been banned.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

endershan

by endershan

junchen wrote:I think there's a hanseunglee who is spamming the forum.. His posts have been removed and he's been banned.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Now I understand! Thank you for clearing it out!

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

warx

by warx

Talking of the 2017 FACT crank I just got my Venge ViAS Disc Pro (not S-Works but same crank, different spider) and I am trying to fit my SRM spider. It does not fit! So it has changed shape. There's interference with the SRM cover plate (the part with the decal). Might be able to slightly relieve the crank arm with some machining. What a pain...

rcb78

by rcb78

I've got one still on order and didn't know the spindle changed. Not that it really matters, but is it still a true BB30 length spindle or did the lengthen it and you have to run spacers now like a BB30A, 386evo, or something along those lines.

Good to know about the spider, I've got a Quarq on my desk waiting for it and it's reassuring to know they still fit.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

hello

Any news about the stiffness of this crank.

And any one using this with etap???

Let me know please

Best regards

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I don't think you'll have any problems with stiffness.