Venge Vias Stop Sale and Potential Recall....?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

allenpg

by allenpg

One of the reasons I don't mind spending more on aftermarket skewers that I trust (eg, Salsa). I might take weight penalty, but know that they will hold. BTW, I agree on the poor built frame part. If the frame was damaged in the same area for each incident, that sounds like a frame manufacturing problem, not a dropout problem.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

What exactly is the problem with the dropouts? Are they not deep enough?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/special ... ake-bikes/

Yep, 1000 bikes recalled. Now you kind of know how many of these things they actually sell by the recall number. Only 1000?? At 12K a pop, that is like what, 12M USD? Ouch, that is a hit.

I know just the frame is the issue for the rear drop...but how does the drop out solve this they want to replace? Does it really solve the issue, frame need replacing? They are a little vague it seems. Except they made it clear, Don't Ride the Bike!!!

I only know one guy in our area that even has one of these bikes. So, guess he out of the 100 I typically see on the group rides is affected...haha

Darceking

by Darceking

The skewers are not biting properly into the RD hanger. So they are only replacing a $20 part.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Maybe someone could translate that link.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

My Chinese is far too rusty to be able to read the digest the content of the link. But based on the pictures it seems the writer is blaming not just on the dropout but also the connection between the seat stays and down tube.

allenpg

by allenpg

XCProMD wrote:Seeing that picture I wouldn't be worried about the wheel slipping but for paying that sum for such a poorly built frame.
Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I agree. I would be interested to see where damage occurred on other frames. If it's the same spot, it seems as much a frame issue as a dropout issue.

micky

by micky

Correct me if wrong, but as far as I understood the rear dropout claimed issue make the wheel slip out of the dropouts, wheels/spokes end into the rear brake which damage the frame.
Did I miss something?

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

allenpg wrote:
XCProMD wrote:Seeing that picture I wouldn't be worried about the wheel slipping but for paying that sum for such a poorly built frame.

I agree. I would be interested to see where damage occurred on other frames. If it's the same spot, it seems as much a frame issue as a dropout issue.

From looking at different pictures, it seems like there is a structural (frame) issue as well, not just dropout.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

If google translate gave me the correct gist of what that Chinese article was about, the broken frame in those photos was caused by a car hitting or running over it. Then the author talks about how they believe the frame construction method (bonding the seat stays to the seat tube) could be problematic as opposed to the standard method of a "lugged" construction of bonding two overlapping tubes (last picture on the page).

I recall a thread from at least a few years ago either here or on another forum that had a video of a crash where the wheel slipped during a race and caused the seat/chain stays to split off like the one shown on page 1, sounds like the brake placement may have some contribution as well?

I had some wheel slippage on my Felt AR that I'm pretty sure was caused by the axle end caps not having any knurling. I throw some skateboard grip tape on the ends, which works, but an annoying kludge.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I'm certain if Specialized wanted to make this junction strong enough that if the wheel should slip out it would not break, they would have. I'm certain the joint is strong enough for the real world cycling that we do.

I certainly would have designed the frame that the wheel could not slip out.

thumper88

by thumper88

kgt wrote:An LBS I know well told me that there was a 60% increase in failed or warrantied Spesh frames during the last coule of years.

Mmmm. Not a very useful stat. It makes it sound like a big deal... but if they sold 1 million tarmacs, and only 10 frames were failed or warrantied, and 16 in each of the past two years, well, there, you go. Not significant statistically or otherwise... so it's kind of missing some variables to make sense.

thumper88

by thumper88

XCProMD wrote:
KarlC wrote:
Sacke wrote:Apparently the Venge Vias can disintegrate "spontaneously" , and Specialized has issued a stop sales and recover any rim brake Vias statement.

Fortunately, there may not be that many to recover. The hate is strong. :)

Sent from magic technical device.

Seeing that picture I wouldn't be worried about the wheel slipping but for paying that sum for such a poorly built frame.

Any carbon frame could fail there with twisting torque from rear wheel coming loose like that. This photo tells nothing about quality of the frame engineering and construction.

thumper88

by thumper88

micky wrote:To be fair in the last couple of years their sales increased as well.

This could be related to a 60 percent climb in frame issues, but not necessarily in the way you suggest.
I doubt their sales increased 60 percent, and in any case we don't know the baseline number of failures or the percentage of frames built that it represents... Now, an increase in production could result in a reduction in quality control if stuff is rushed through to meet greater demand, but I don't think that's what youre getting at and haven't seen anything to indicate that is a problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com