Venge Vias Stop Sale and Potential Recall....?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

XCProMD

by XCProMD

thumper88 wrote:
XCProMD wrote:
KarlC wrote:
Sacke wrote:Apparently the Venge Vias can disintegrate "spontaneously" , and Specialized has issued a stop sales and recover any rim brake Vias statement.

Fortunately, there may not be that many to recover. The hate is strong. :)

Sent from magic technical device.

Seeing that picture I wouldn't be worried about the wheel slipping but for paying that sum for such a poorly built frame.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Any carbon frame could fail there with twisting torque from rear wheel coming loose like that. This photo tells nothing about quality of the frame engineering and construction.

It tells a lot. The laminates and the way the seatstays are glued to the seat tube are clear.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

Sounds like they're adding lawyer lips to the hanger based on the comments in this bikerumor thread. http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/10/14/spe ... -failures/

Not exactly an ideal solution, may as well just make it thru-axle at that point.

On the seat stay connection, anyone know how other companies with similarly styled junctions bond them? I don't think judging crashed frames speaks much to how it functions when things haven't gone wrong.

e.g.
Image Image Image

glepore

by glepore

Exactly. Lots of hate here for the Vias, but what does that have to do with this? A tire that's mm from the seatpost and that contacts it full surface at a pedal stand is not like the old days where it pulled and rubbed a chainstay. Although I'm at a bit of a loss as to how you pull out of vertical dropouts-are these more horizontal than the norm?
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Engineering a 90 degree bend with a small radius on a FRP laminate is not rocket science anymore. It's not light but it can be made as strong you want. Cervelo uses one of the most common configurations. I don't know about Felt.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

The theory is that the rear brake pads are in parallel alignment with the slots on the dropouts. So a sudden braking situation will maximize the pullout force the axle experiences as a reaction force to the braking. Most bikes have brake pads not in parallel alignment so the force vector is much less.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

ergott

by ergott

Looks quite the opposite to me. The braking force would send the wheel further into the dropout.

You would have the same problem with disc brakes since the rear caliper is in the same relative plane as a vertical dropout.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Not the reaction force of the stopped tire against the pavement, its the reaction force of the axle in the opposite direction as the brake stops the wheel.

ergott

by ergott

Yeah.

The wheel is rotating down at the point of the brake. That would rotate the wheel up into the frame. Again, see my reference to a disc brake on a rear wheel. Same relative position and wheels aren't ejecting out of frames.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

ergott wrote:Yeah.

The wheel is rotating down at the point of the brake. That would rotate the wheel up into the frame. Again, see my reference to a disc brake on a rear wheel. Same relative position and wheels aren't ejecting out of frames.

Yup. I spent last night looking at this and I am in agreement. Got it backwards! Thanks.

But now the question is under what circumstances does this occur. I suppose a sudden acceleration with crappy qr's could pull the wheel out.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

The new hanggers do indeed have tabs, installed a couple last week.
Using Tapatalk

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I do not have one, but the first thing I would do is grind the tabs off [or not have the recall done].

mile2424

by mile2424

what's the downside to the added tabs? Or why would you want to grind them off?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Tullio Campagnolo didn't invent one of the most significant bicycle technologies in history (the quick release), only to have it thwarted by lawyers who insist that not only must you open the "quick release" lever, you have to turn the nut at the other end a bunch of times before you can get it off. Defeats the whole purpose of the quick release. Be gone with the tabs.
I say that a bit tongue in cheek, because although I personally file off the lawyer tabs on the forks (and the rear hasn't had them till possibly this new development), the number of people I see using the quick release as a kind of lever to turn until tight astounds me. As opposed to getting it where the cam action can do its thing with one quick clamping effort of the lever. So yes, I see the reasoning.
Before someone says "the tabs are now a UCI requirement", yes, I realize that but I'm not doing any UCI races and I like my quick releases to work the way they were intended.
Might as well start using thru axles and shit... oh wait... :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

goodboyr wrote:
ergott wrote:But now the question is under what circumstances does this occur. I suppose a sudden acceleration with crappy qr's could pull the wheel out.

I'm spit-balling here. I'm no physicist, but I wonder if perhaps it's related to grabbing too much front brake? That would at least cause the frame to want to buck up?

Or, I've heard of one or two instances where a person put out enough power that it pulled the rear wheel out of alignment - essentially, the driveside was pulled into the dropout, which gave a little, causing the hub axle to rotate and allowing the rear wheel to rub the NDS stay. Perhaps it is doing that?