KMC 11 Speed Chains

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Do the outer plates have bevelled leading edges, or are they just plain unmodified plates?

And are KMC chains just crap?

Thanks.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

They are a well-respected brand, the only ones I have been using in 10 and 11-speed versions for the past 6 years. No particular issues when it comes to shifting or wear.

Probably make other branded chains as well.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Take a look at KMC optimizes X11 chains for 1x drivetrains
I use KMC X-11 DLC chains on road, cross, and mountain bikes and prefer them to Shimano's 9000/XTR level chain.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Stueys

by Stueys

I've just gone the other way and swapped out my kmc chain for a shimano one. No issue with kmc, I've used them for years, but I'm finding the shimano one slightly quieter.

4151zero

by 4151zero

Stueys wrote:I've just gone the other way and swapped out my kmc chain for a shimano one. No issue with kmc, I've used them for years, but I'm finding the shimano one slightly quieter.

same here, loved my X11's, the tech, the colors, the bling!

but... shimano is just a lil quieter, if not just as precise in shifting with or without load.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Stueys wrote:I've just gone the other way and swapped out my kmc chain for a shimano one. No issue with kmc, I've used them for years, but I'm finding the shimano one slightly quieter.

According to Wiki, KMC makes chains for Shimano.

KMC Chain Industrial Co., Ltd. is a roller chain manufacturer headquartered in Taiwan, R.O.C. with corporate entities in the US, Continental Chain Company, and Europe, KMC Chain Europe BV.[2] They make cam driving chains, balance driving chains, oil pump chains, motorcycle chains, and industrial chains.[3] They manufacture and market bicycle chains and master links under their own KMC brand and supply them to others, including Shimano.[4] KMC chains are used in the Tour de France by riders such as Gustav Larsson, Swedish time trial champion.[5] KMC was founded by Charles Wu in 1977,[1] and was the largest bicycle chain manufacturer in the world in 2011.[6]
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

thedonnydino

by thedonnydino

KMC chain is noisier than the shimano chain, particularly when cross chaining.

Solution is to keep everything well lubed and avoid cross chaining, which is a given anyway. :lol:

Stueys

by Stueys

KMC may manufacture the shimano chains (I've no idea) but they are certainly to a different design, they look very different. I've also ditched the quick link and gone back to traditional pin which is a change.

No idea why but it's quieter. Performance seems the same otherwise. Running on Dura DI2, I dont' cross chain and lubed with Squirt.

basilic

by basilic

I also find Shimano chains quieter than KMC, both with quicklinks (10 speed).

Valbrona

by Valbrona

The noise that you hear a chain make is down to what it is coated with. Nickel plated chains will be quieter than ones that aren't, and some coatings are harder than others. I do not think you can equate 'quietness' with 'performance'.

BRM

by BRM

You have more than 1300 posts and you are 5 years active on this forum.
Topics about chains we had frequently. I really dont understand why you ask about the quality of KMC chains. Like it is never discussed before. . . . . :) For me this topic is a deja-vu. People experience Shimano chains as more quiet is also not new information. Its written many times. Topics are this are loop-topics. (subjects that return every month orso).

:?

When you have a specific question, dont put it on the forum as a brainfart but try to look through the eyes of the receivers. Sorry but the way you start this topic. Noone knows what you exactly want. People can only guess.
When you should tell what you exactly want, expect, etc (whatever) . . . You would get better information in return where you can do something with.

You can steer the quality of respons, by making your startpost clear and complete.

Valbrona

by Valbrona

Valbrona wrote:Do the outer plates have bevelled leading edges, or are they just plain unmodified plates?

If you had bothered to actually read the start of this thread, you might have known that the above is how it was started. This question has not been answered, instead quickly moving to the rather vague issue of 'chain noise'.

BRM - Take your pompous assertions somewhere else.

BRM

by BRM

Stop giving people names . . .
I have read your title and startpost.
You come with a question and failed to give PROPER insight WHY you want to know.
Also is missing on what drivetrain you want to use this chain. What your kind of use is, your expectations and wanted properties etc.
Your startpost lacks information there is no concrete reference that helps other people to think with you. I tell you in easy to understand tekst, whats wrong so that you can adapt more succesful ways but sadly you don't capture. Just because you dont see my text as an advice but as an attack. I simply made you aware how to steer receiving intelligent respons. Your focus should be on that.

What was holding you back to google on pictures of KMC chains? https://www.google.com/search?q=kmc+11+ ... gQ_AUIBygC
Next is that you asked if KMC chains are crap?
Means you got very little notice of whats written on this forum about chains. Because its discussed really many, many times.
I can't help don't blame me, I only analyse. :|

Maybe its time to do things different. :wink:
This is a specialized forum where people buying advanced and expensive parts and talk into the most little details. Often even on absurd miniscule levels that doesn't bother in real life. Then I expect intelligent ways in discussion, quality posts and an intelligent approach when people write a startpost. Sadly I see this forum not going up in quality but it goes downwards. More than one reason is responseble for that but one of them is too many 'brainfart topics' and too many topics of the same. (loop-topics)
Be honest: Your way has still nothing delivered anything what was not already written multiple times.

Again when you start a topic its is a good habit to think how others will receive it.
Go out from a situation where other people don't know anything from your person, situation and specific needs.

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

Only KMC for me. :thumbup:

xena
Banned

by xena

I just stuck a 10speed KCM [the light gold one ]on my guru with a sram 11x26 cassette . Its so much noisier than the YBN and recon set up . I do have a spare YBN but waiting for some new recons to come.
It does shift a bit better " anything shifts better than recon " But it is a lot noisier. I used the same cassette with a YBN chain and it was definitely less noisy. I got the chain for £18 new on ebay so worth a go.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com