Chewed Up Freehub Bodies - How Much Is Too Much?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

McGilli

by McGilli

I've been looking at used wheel sets. One of the things you see is the varying degrees up chewed up free hub bodies - some look brand new - some look like a shark was chewing on them.

How much is too much though?

And - if a seller posts lots of pictures of their wheels for sale (like 5-10 photos) - but doesn't include a close up of the free hub body do you think that's on purpose - is that a reason to be cautious?

964Cup

by 964Cup

Depends on the price of a replacement freehub. Most of them are fairly inexpensive. For example Novatec bodies, which fit all sorts of things including Ambrosio and PowerTap, are about £35. I guess it's a reasonable proxy for mileage - all alloy bodies get chewed up - but cassette choice, riding style and rider power also make a difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If the freehub is aluminum then I'd ask for a close-up photo. If it's titanium or steel then no worries. My previous wheelset (Shimano C50 with titanium freehub) looked pristine. My current wheelset (Campy Bora 50) has aluminum freehub. However I'm told it's OK as long as l use Sram X-1190 cassette which is what I'm using now.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Or cheat and put a wedge on a spline ;)
Using Tapatalk

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Sounds fishy to me. I would definitely pass on this one!!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

not any more they are not 964cup. I used to sell the Type B2 at £34 but the trade price has gone up by a £10 so the retail has taken a huge hike.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

"" And - if a seller posts lots of pictures of their wheels for sale (like 5-10 photos) - but doesn't include a close up of the free hub body do you think that's on purpose - is that a reason to be cautious?""

Photos posted of the free hub.

nickf

by nickf

If you get a good deal on the wheels and a cheap freehub body is available go for it.

I had a cassette on a king alloy freehub body that was nearly stuck. I eventually got it off and just used a small file to smooth things out. Sram og and xg cassettes ftw.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

If you use Frankengearing, like aftermarket Campy friendly spacers on dismantled Shimano cassettes, even steel freehub bodys are going to get brinnelled.

Mackers

by Mackers

bm0p700f wrote:not any more they are not 964cup. I used to sell the Type B2 at £34 but the trade price has gone up by a £10 so the retail has taken a huge hike.

Still ~$30-$35 shipping included on the bay.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Maybe but the price from novatec has gone up. Once the stock at the older price has been used up prices will go up.

Mackers

by Mackers

Better hurry then :)

$26,02 shipping included on AliE if you buy 2 or more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com