Possible for a de hanger to return to misalignment?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BigPoser

by BigPoser

Yesterday I straightened my rear hanger with my Park tool. Got her all lined out within a couple mm on all sides. It was off pretty good before I started. At the end of today's ride, it looks like the hanger is crooked again. What gives? It didn't get hit, touched, or looked at wrong.

Is it possible for the hanger to revert back to old shape?

For reference, it's a Workswell R-066 with a Chorus rear mech. The hanger is a Wheels Manufacturing.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I noticed that on my bike, clamping down the quick release will move the rear derailleur. Are you measuring the hanger alignment by clamping down the rear quick release tightly? A light vs. heavy clamping pressure will likely move the hanger. It's best to align hangers by clamping down the quick release with the same amount of pressure as you would normally ride the bike with. Just a thought...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

em3

by em3

How many times have you aligned the hanger? Even a thick CNC unit from Wheels Manufacturing will soften and lose some of it its integrity/rigidity after two/three alignments, but all depends on how much torquing and twisting u engaged when aligning it.

sungod

by sungod

if the wheel wasn't fully seated in the dropouts and/or the qr not tight enough, this can happen - undo qr, lean over the saddle to put weight on it, then tighten qr

but i'd also check the hanger, mine changed suddenly, on inspection i found a fracture at one of the mounting screw holes

Geoff

by Geoff

That happens with startling frequency. It isn't popular on this Board, but I always say that a straightened alloy hanger is never completely perfect again.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'd replace it to be on the safe side. They are designed to withstand a bend or two but are weakened with each adjustment made. They are not that expensive and the potential consequences of it breaking while mid ride just isn't worth wondering if your hanger has the consistency of cheese after being bent back and forth. You would have the best idea as to how much "bending" you actually did. And it's not really the total distance that you bent it that matters as much as how much "back and forth" it took to get there, as @em3 said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RussellS

by RussellS

pdlpsher1 wrote:Are you measuring the hanger alignment by clamping down the rear quick release tightly?

All rear derailleur hanger alignment tools work by measuring against the rear wheel rim. Therefore you have to have the rear wheel in the bike when using the rear derailleur hanger alignment tool. Can't imagine why someone would not put the rear wheel in normally/clamping when using the derailleur tool. Normally you use the tool by just putting the whole bike in a stand. Take the rear derailleur off the hanger. Screw in the alignment tool. And start measuring. You never change or touch the rear wheel. You go directly from riding to using the alignment tool. So if the wheel was tightened enough to ride, it should be good enough to be aligned too. The quick release is never touched or a factor in aligning the rear derailleur hanger.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I had this happen to me when the two tiny screws holding the hanger in place were not totally tight and not loctited in place. They loosened slightly allowing some movement. This is in addition to all the other good point already raised here.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com