Typical beginner's question (Roubaix 2016)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stk57

by stk57

zalle wrote:I live in the south of Portugal, winter is nice here :-D

You bet it's nice ! :x

I'm from Toulouse. Not so bad compared to Paris and north of France but it cannot beat south of Portugal for winter rides.

zalle wrote:Is the ultegra 6800 crank compatible with my 10 speed chain and cassette?

It's becoming a classic around here ... Keep the 10sp chain, cassette and just change the complete crankset incl. rings and you'll be fine. Just confirmed and refreshed my memories with a quick Google search :

Been running a 6800 compact crank for 8 months now with 105 10 speed shifters /derailleurs, 10 speed cassette, and KMC 10 speed chain.

Works incredibly well. Zero issues, highly recommended.

The chain you use should follow the cassette, not the crankset.

(original post)

It seems logical (only outer plates are thinner on a 11sp chains compared to a 10sp) but sometimes real life doesn't match the "on paper" theory.

Crankset is the only way to start a 11sp incremental upgrade as the next (and last) step will be bigger in costs and mechanics. New 11sp stuff will come altogether: RD, cassette, chain and shifter.

Sometimes in the future, I'll go for almost the same upgrade with a 105 11sp RD and new crankset (I have them on my 2017 Allez) for the 2011 Roubaix but I need to abuse the 48-36 chainrings before I convert to 4-bolts Shimano rings/arms where I won't be able to re-use them. They only have 3 month of use and I'll be more on the Allez now. But sure I want a brand new black crank arm without scratches and dents for this fine bike that is the Roubaix.

-STK-

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BRM

by BRM

You should start with a budget. How much is it worth to you to get this bike lighter.
have in mind that most parts only differ a few grams so most individual changes doesn't make a real difference.

When you know your budget you know whats possible and can do calculations on paper.

You have bougt the bike especialy because of the discount price? Well then I think its contradictive you will spend a heap of money to get it really lighter. Ride it as it is and then in the future you can make other decisions when going for a new bike.

Sure you can buy a things as a lightweight saddle, but I strongly advice to buy a saddle that gives you enough comfort, thats more important than just weight.

zalle

by zalle

Hi BRM, thanks for your answer.

I have another bike, an Allez with Claris on it, so I can upgrade both bikes at once...

BRM

by BRM

Well we still dont know your budget . . :wink:
But when you want another group orso, maybe wait till Christmas holiday sales or other coming sales.
Overhere some shops also have special sales in the beginning of the new year (because of company tax reasons)

zalle

by zalle

I don't have a specific budget now, but I could go with an ultegra groupset, some 350€ for wheels, a budget set of carbon bardrops, and should I go for a 150g seat? Or should I leave my original 280g original one? I will buy lightweight tubes and tires too.

From what I gathered this is the cheapest way to get my bike lighter. I guess we're talking about 1000€... Almost what I paid for the bike... Ouch...

Is there a way of making transmission lighter without going for the ultegra groupset? The tiagra 4700 is really nice, but I guess it's heavy :(

I don't need a 7kg bike, but 9kg is a bit too much... Isn't it?

zalle

by zalle

Hi guys,

Updated information, I weighted a lot of stuff (and searched online for some info), and here it is in grams:

skewers 57 + 61 (ti ones in transit right now, 48g)
front wheel 880
back wheel 1200
cont tires 240 + 240
axis brakes 180 + 171 (already upgraded them to ultegra 6800 176 + 168... 7 grams for 80 euro YEYYYY, but I guess I have better brakes now, I hope...)
gel seat (not very comfy though...) 280
tubes 93 + 93
stem 186
bars 280
crank 910 (50-34 Tiagra)
Cassette 355 (11-34 well, I'm a bit chubby right now, my weight is 85kg, so I like it, maybe I could live with a 11-28, I'll pedal a lot and lose some weight this winter!!!)
Bottom bracket 90
Rear derailleur 277
Front derailleur 106
Levers  486 (pretty heavy, aren't they???)
frame 1250 (I guess? It's fact 8. Not sure if fork is included in the weight)
cables 200????
chain 260
fancy carbon seatpost 260
pedals 320
other stuff 750 (could this be the front fork that's not included in the weight of the frame??? Obviously there is "stuff" like grip with gel, that weights something, and a few other bolts)

Am I missing something?

I'm eyeing one of those cool looking carbon integrated handlebars + stem, and I wouldn't mind changing wheels (I'd probably put light latex tubes as well and, who knows, lighter tires???)

I've got a Claris Allez, so everything I take from this one will upgrade the other.

junchen

by junchen

For fact 8 carbon, 1250g sounds right for the frame. Fork would be another 400g.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

zalle

by zalle

Hi guys, I just made an upgrade. I got a (lightly) used compact 6700 black ultegra crank, It weighs 697g, the tiagra weighs 918g, and I got it at sale price (90€). The Roubaix looks faster already, and I believe I'll sell the Tiagra for not much less.

I also got a carbon handlebar, which weighs in at 246g, instead of the 338g of the original. 48g skewers are on their way, to replace the 120g ones, and ultra-light cont tubes (52g each) will go in when I buy new wheels. Let's see if they last...

Anyway, from what I've read around the web, I'm inclined not to spend much more on the bike itself, since it looks like, unless it's rolling weight, it will not make a difference. I'm going for the wheels. I'm torn between 2nd hand Mavic SL; Fulcrum Racing1 OR new cheap carbon ones.

Nevertheless, a lighter 11-28 cassette may tempt me, because it can weigh 100g less, AND because I can use a short cage derailleur, and save another 100-120g, that's over 200g, for not that much money...

AJS914

by AJS914

The rolling weight idea has been debunked with modern science. All weight, including you, will slow you down up a hill.

The easiest, cheapest solution is to ride the bike a lot and drop 5kg around your tummy.

zalle

by zalle

Yes, I know what you are saying. What I understand is that non rolling weight on my bike is the same as weight on me... And I'm a fat bastard. I should lose some 10kg (my weight is 85kg, and I'm 1.76cm (around 5'9"), but this winter I will try to lose 5kg!!!

AJS914

by AJS914

There you go! You got the free solution. Wear out those tires that came with the bike and then get some really good tires.

That said, we all love upgrading our bikes. It is a pleasure to ride a nice bike. I have done the 'buy a cheap bike and then upgrade very single component'. It did make it a better bike but I should have saved more and bought the better bike in the first place.

I'd ride the stock wheels through the winter weather and then maybe think about a nice set of wheels and tires for spring. Maybe over the winter you can hunt for deals (black friday sales, after Xmas sales, etc.).

kulivontot

by kulivontot

fulcrum over mavic for sure, or some handbuilt alloys for even better value. I'd stay away from carbon wheels (especially clinchers) for new cyclists. The weight gains over nice alloys isn't that significant, and the braking woes are real (especially if you go the budget china carbon route).

zalle

by zalle

Well, I have some stuff arriving in the next few days:

Ultegra RD6700 (90g less)
Ultegra cassette 12-30 (170g less)
Ultegra FD6700 (20g less) hahaha, I'm changing this 'cause my 4700 is REALLY stiff, and this way it's all ultegra

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I find it interesting that you buy a new bike then totally disassemble it to measure the components.

My hats off to you. At least you know where you stand and what the improvements will be as you buy new parts. You will find shortly, if you would of stepped up and bought a lighter bike, it would have been cheaper [but maybe not as fun as building your own].

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zalle

by zalle

I bought this model on sale, I get to keep the new parts for resale or upgrade my other bike, and It's a lot cheaper than the ultegra version... I'm happy...