Cervelo C3 or Cannondale Synapse or Canyon Endurace or new Roubaix?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dasun

by dasun

Hi all,

as you can tell from my question, I am looking for a good endurance bike, that is comfortable but still fast. We are usually riding about 60-130km with friends with occasional Strava segment sprints.

Currently I have a Giant Defy Adv, which is pretty stiff and fast, but even though I had it professionally fitted twice, my back starts to hurt after about 50km. Unfortunately I think at this point the Giant is just the wrong size for me.

So I am looking at different alternatives. I used to have a Synapse, which I liked a lot, and again is on top of my list. But then again I should maybe try out something new...

When checking out the frame geometries, all mentioned bikes seem to be slightly more relaxed than the Defy, which is a good thing for me (I'm 41).

Which bike would you recommend? I couldn't find many reviews and opinions on the C3, the Canyon always gets good reviews (but then again Canyon spends a lot of money on ads in magazines...), has the best built (DA DI2) and lowest weight, the Roubaix looks interesting (and ugly btw), but it might be a little too heavy in a standard Ultegra built and maybe too sluggish?! I guess, I would have to test ride it first. Unfortunately, I cannot testride the Canyon or the Cervelo.

What is your opinion? Which bike should I choose?

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I have found Giants to have typically very long reach.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fluoro7

by Fluoro7

dasun wrote:Currently I have a Giant Defy Adv, which is pretty stiff and fast, but even though I had it professionally fitted twice, my back starts to hurt after about 50km. Unfortunately I think at this point the Giant is just the wrong size for me.

Go get fitted first on Guru, Retul or similar system, it is totally worth it and they can exclude bikes from consideration based on the setup you find on the fit machine. Make sure the fitter is highly experienced and well regarded, it is more than just the machine. Then, go try some bikes that should work and see if you like how they feel.

Doing it any other way in this day and age is just backwards, and makes you liable to be sucked in by clever marketing, eye candy or your friendly neighborhood fanboy.
Wilier Zero7 (1st gen) Fluoro
RIP Cervelo R3 2012 White on Black

uraqt

by uraqt

skip the fit...

Buy the software for the fit on your own there are three or four. Then have a "mate" record you while you riding over hours and hours. Riding up hill, down hill, when your tired and when your fresh...

Then fit your self... then demo the bike that you want...

C

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

can't you just get a shorter stem or shorter reach bar to call it a day? The difference is minimal with the 4 bikes you listed. The bike with the tallest stack and least reach i have found so far is actually a trek domane.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Synapse is a great bike, but it is slightly proportionally longer than many "endurance" frames. In Addison the to those already mentioned, consider:

- 2017 Orbea avant
- Parlee Altum
- Felt Z
- Bianchi Infinito
- Colnago CX Zero (which might be discontinued)
- Kindhuman Kensuke

You didn't mention budget or fit info, so I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for. Some of these are more aggressive but comfortable, others are also more relaxed.

dasun

by dasun

Thanks for the advice with the Guru and Retul systems, I found a dealer close by and will make an appointment. Seems to be a more professional approach than my prior bike fitter.

My budget is flexible, so far I have been looking at bikes around 5k€ or at frames around 2-3k€ (I would strip my Giant for all components then). I guess my Giant Defy in S is slightly to small, I used to have the Synapse in 54 with a 90mm stem and it fitted pretty good.

How realistic would it be to configure an endurance bike with disc brakes to below 7kg? The Canyon apparently weighs in at 7.3kg, the other mentioned bikes should be around 7.5-8kg.

dasun

by dasun

I found a buyer for my Giant, so next week I will get a new endurance bike. I narrowed down my choice to a Specialized Roubaix Expert DI2, which I would upgrade with a better wheelset. As an alternative I have received a very good offer for a 2017 Synapse Black Inc with etap and very good components. From a price standpoint both deals are pretty much the same, the Specialized with the better wheels will cost as much as the black inc Synapse.

I am leaning towards the Synapse, since I feel it's the better deal. Then again I am kinda curious about the new Roubaix. Which one would you choose?

stormur

by stormur

I had Synapse HiMod. Paint was peeling of just from looking at it. I'm not a fan of Spec's, but have to admit ; quality of frame is fabulous in comparison to Cannondale.

What you can find in Cannondale ( HiMod, 3000€ frameset only ) :
- peeling off clearcoat
- any decal can remove all paint ( to bare carbon )
- BB30A ( however C-bear worked astonishingly with campa and sram cranks )
- poor frame "out of the mold" finish : uneven surfaces, crap transitions between shapes... overall finsih is like 500€ frame, not 3000
- overweight : 54 frame is 1130g plus "cannondale" post 200-230g ( depends which FSA you coose ;) ) , fork 350g uncut
- plenty of leftovers from manufacturing inside frame ( plastic foil for example, unfinished transitions... )

Overall build/ finish quality is terrible. Really terrible.

Ride quality : very Ok. It's not even close to BMC GF01, much harsher ( basically soaks only big bumps, small buzzes are on same level as ... any other road frame ( not "endurance" type ) .
Handling : great. geometry is VERY relaxed ( chainstay length, HT angle, fork rake ( basically same as cyclocross bike :) ) - so it's very stabil but also feels bit sluggish- maybe not as much as f.e. Crux ( this is champion of non accelarting frames competition, but also best frame for slippery courses / almost nothing can make this frame feel "nervous" ) , but still far behind any standard frame. One of two frames which I would choose to go downhill without brakes :mrgreen: , last one to go for mountains.

Would I buy it again : NO. Absolutely not. Not a chance. I never had worse made/ finished frame. Including 400€ aluminium Bianchi.

Would I buy Roubaix ? I don't think so. But If I have to choose just between the two : Specialized. No doubts.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I would consider the Bianchi Infinito CV that was already mentioned. It gets good reviews and looks nice.
Also try a Cannondale EVO, its not an endurance bike but you might be surprised. I have one and find it very comfortable.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

really the only reason that endurance frame has softer ride is due to the extended tire clearance. If you run 23mm on a endurance frame it will be harsh. I read somewhere where people did test between multiple aero and endurance frames and the difference is minimal as expected. A 28 or 30mm tire is the way to go

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

dasun wrote:
When checking out the frame geometries, all mentioned bikes seem to be slightly more relaxed than the Defy, which is a good thing for me (I'm 41).

Where are you getting this information from? Giant Defy has the longest head tube of all. Don't give up on Giant, it's a fantastic machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

wingguy

by wingguy

mpulsiv wrote:Where are you getting this information from? Giant Defy has the longest head tube of all. Don't give up on Giant, it's a fantastic machine.

Head tube length is irrelevant. Stack is what matters - and most of the bikes mentioned have a slightly taller stack for a given reach than a Defy.

Several of them come with more steerer tube left on the fork as well. Eg. Synapses come with 55mm of spacers as standard, Defys have 40 or 45mm.

dasun

by dasun

mpulsiv wrote:
dasun wrote:

Where are you getting this information from? Giant Defy has the longest head tube of all. Don't give up on Giant, it's a fantastic machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I was actually looking at the stack/reach numbers, and since my Giant was a size S, it also felt less relaxed than the Synapse in 54 I used to ride before.

dasun

by dasun

stormur wrote:I had Synapse HiMod. Paint was peeling of just from looking at it. I'm not a fan of Spec's, but have to admit ; quality of frame is fabulous in comparison to Cannondale.

What you can find in Cannondale ( HiMod, 3000€ frameset only ) :
- peeling off clearcoat
- any decal can remove all paint ( to bare carbon )
- BB30A ( however C-bear worked astonishingly with campa and sram cranks )
- poor frame "out of the mold" finish : uneven surfaces, crap transitions between shapes... overall finsih is like 500€ frame, not 3000
- overweight : 54 frame is 1130g plus "cannondale" post 200-230g ( depends which FSA you coose ;) ) , fork 350g uncut
- plenty of leftovers from manufacturing inside frame ( plastic foil for example, unfinished transitions... )

Overall build/ finish quality is terrible. Really terrible.

Ride quality : very Ok. It's not even close to BMC GF01, much harsher ( basically soaks only big bumps, small buzzes are on same level as ... any other road frame ( not "endurance" type ) .
Handling : great. geometry is VERY relaxed ( chainstay length, HT angle, fork rake ( basically same as cyclocross bike :) ) - so it's very stabil but also feels bit sluggish- maybe not as much as f.e. Crux ( this is champion of non accelarting frames competition, but also best frame for slippery courses / almost nothing can make this frame feel "nervous" ) , but still far behind any standard frame. One of two frames which I would choose to go downhill without brakes :mrgreen: , last one to go for mountains.

Would I buy it again : NO. Absolutely not. Not a chance. I never had worse made/ finished frame. Including 400€ aluminium Bianchi.

Would I buy Roubaix ? I don't think so. But If I have to choose just between the two : Specialized. No doubts.

wow, thanks for your feedback! I have to admit though, that I have never read such a critical comment regarding Cannondale before. Is it possible, that you had very bad luck with a single Cannondale frame or did others experience such a bad frame quality as well? I have owned several Cannondale bikes and they were all ok. But now that you mention it, the finish quality of my last Synapse was not that great...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com