Specialized S works romin

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gavin

by gavin

Hi guys is it worth it going for the 2016 S works romin saddle over the evo pro romin ?

I believe the 143 mm saddle is £200 for S works v £120 for evo

Weight difference is 130 g v 200 g

Not 100% sure on weights but think that is what I read

Anyone with experience on these two models ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

peted76

by peted76

Heard good things about the spesh saddles, but everyones arse/riding position is different of course. You can buy a cheaper lighter saddle elsewhere.
Whether it's worth it or not is up to you, how much you value weight, that's the only difference.

I personally am looking at the S-Works Power saddle at the moment and will probably get one. There are two fellas in my club with the cheaper heavier versions of the same saddle who ride faster than me. Being concerned about weight is a slippery slope...

Vermu

by Vermu

I've Sworks romin, power and evo expert gel. My arse lieks spesh saddles.

in my opinnion if the saddle fits you, spesh are good one. I had issues earlier with selle italia saddles and after swapping to spesh I didn't have a single issue.

I've used evo expert on my cc and its stunning. Though I use it for winter riding to work so it does its job. Compined with canyon vlcs 2.0 and all the icy roads become surprisingly smooth.

Had power in aeroad and for aggressive positioning its amazing. Short nose helps to slam that stem ;)

As evo gel and sworks have same padding level. Gel is comfier. Went with sworks for new roadbike due lower weight and knowing that it will be enough.
I'm quite sceptic about going full blown ww in saddle as fit is more important than the actual weight.

3Pio

by 3Pio

I bought Romin Evo Pro 2014 or 2015 model based on short test ride (i thought is very comfortable saddle), and based on measuring to determine my saddle Size in local Specialized Shop. They suggest 143 mm. The Saddle is not uncomfortable, but it's not comfortable whatever angle i tried.. I feel somehow too wide and i hate the locked position in one spot. I didnt have pain while riding, but also could not put my self in really effective position.. I considered somehow like touring saddle..

After few months trying, i just ordered Selle Italia SLR Carbonio Flow in 131mm width (without trying first, and i narrower version then Specialized suggest). This saddle is much lighter then Romin Evo Pro, cheaper and much more comfortable.. I done few very long rides (More then 130 km, few 150-160 km, and the biggest was 252 km), with no pain at all, no numbness (with Romin i had some numbness). It's also offer me different position for different part of the ridings, and just feel right . I just love this saddle..

I guess saddle is personal choice, but even i thought that Romin is comfy for me, at the end does not worked to me..

fh8425

by fh8425

i am on the evo pro 143 mm. I like that it is 1 cm shorter in the nose compared to the older model. My seat post is offset (2.5 cm) so the shorter nose does not look out of proportion when i move the saddle a bit more forward. The level 2 padding helps but with weight penalty. My bottom seems to agree with the evo pro most of the time but sometimes it does not feel right.

spud

by spud

S works Romin no longer appears on the Specialized website. There is a S Works Romin Evo, it appears to have lost the massively dropped nose of the former EVO, while also losing some of the rear kick-up of the Romin. It also has more padding than the standard Romin, which is probably a good thing.

I've ridden both the S works and Romin pro (Not the Evo). I think the S works provide more flexibility with regards to where you sit in the saddle, due to it not sagging as much in the middle as the Pro. However, in the pocket, the Pro is a little more comfortable.

Not sure you'll be able to make any meaningful comparison without actually trying them.

gavin

by gavin

Thanks for the responses guys

I already ride this saddle so definitely happy with the comfort level .

nigajoa1

by nigajoa1

Hi.
Six months ago I changed from BONTRAGER Paradigm xxx to S-Works Romin.
Now is a great satisfaction.

evan326

by evan326

I just got a s works toupe, going from the toupe expert gel. The only real difference is less padding and weight with the s works saddles from what I've seen. I think only the s works series are full carbon.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Have had the Romin Evo Pro, and just recently bought an S-Works Romin Evo. The Romin and the Romin Evo are different saddles, where the Evo is a bit shorter than the regular Romin.

Anyway, the difference between the Pro and S-Works versions is that the latter is light. On my scales it came in at 130 grams, so spot on the claimed weight. Haven't ridden it yet so can't compare the two on comfort, but it seems that the padding level is the same.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vermu

by Vermu

evan326 wrote:I just got a s works toupe, going from the toupe expert gel. The only real difference is less padding and weight with the s works saddles from what I've seen. I think only the s works series are full carbon.

Actually evo expert gel is also full carbon. Difference may be in carbon layup and ofc the added padding increases weight.