Do you climb on your big ring?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xena
Banned

by xena

I was just curious to know if any other posters climb on their big ring . I climb very comfortably and pretty fast on my big ring. I have rode most of the famous French col's with no issues at all. I don't grind at all just spin comfortably. I have a 53 on the front and a 27 on the rear. I do ride the majority of my climbs out of the saddle more Bertie style rather than seated.
I really feel no benefit on the smaller ring. I know this go's against the normal advice but it works for me.
I personally feel its about the way my legs turn over [ round the cranks] if that makes sense. It's just a lot easier.
Anyone else find it easier? What's your views. Valverde earlier in the season smashed everyone climbing on his big ring.
Has the spinning era of Froome and Armstrong made us all think that spinning on a tiny gear is the way to go when for some it may not be the best option? Is the science behind spinning right for everyone or should we experiment for ourselves?
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Cross chaining will wear your gears out faster. Otherwise it's a simple formula of gear inches. If you rode the same gear inch on the small ring it should feel the same. It's just math.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

xena
Banned

by xena

ergott wrote:Cross chaining will wear your gears out faster. Otherwise it's a simple formula of gear inches. If you rode the same gear inch on the small ring it should feel the same. It's just math.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I understand that. But I feel more comfy on the big ring. It feels easier turning the pedals.
The rotation is different on the big ring it feels easy " less fussy " is the way I would describe it.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Tension Vs losses

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Let's assume you're climbing in 53-27.

A fairly low cadence of 70, will give you 17.3km/h, but you won't want to use that gear as it's painful to hear the chain chewing itself to death, so let's use 53-24 which is 19.5km/h.

You mention 'famous French cols. Let's take Alpe d'Huez for example. Strava says 7.6km at 9%. The KOM is 19.1km/h and Laurens ten Dam is 18.5km/h.

Now I'm assuming you're not as fast as those guys, so lets drop your cadence down to 50. Now we get 13.9 km/h. That would still put you in the top 1000 out of almost 50 000.

Logic would suggest that it is not optimal to climb in a gear like that, but we're all different, so hey, horses for courses.

dj97223

by dj97223

Xena,

Do you have a TUE for that pace?
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Shrike

by Shrike

Going to try it on hill repeat day next week for a couple of laps, yes it'd be cross chaining for me, but I read on a cycling blog some study that basically showed the big ring is smoother so would deliver more power at an equivalent gear ratio on the small ring..

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Do you climb on your big ring?
Only when I'm hopped up on EPO.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Shrike wrote:Going to try it on hill repeat day next week for a couple of laps, yes it'd be cross chaining for me, but I read on a cycling blog some study that basically showed the big ring is smoother so would deliver more power at an equivalent gear ratio on the small ring..

There is no way that the big ring is going to magically 'deliver more power'.

It could be argued that there is a miniscule reduction in friction losses in the chain as it has a less tight circle to turn, (53 versus 39) but we really are splitting hairs here.

It can also be more coherently argued that a STRAIGHT chain line can reduce friction losses in the chain, but you are doing the opposite by twisting your chain.

Rick

by Rick

I am "more comfortable" when spinning, seated...and going a lot slower.

I am able to stay with the front-end of a race pack longer pushing a ridiculously big gear and spinning about 60 RPM....and suffering the tortures of the damned in excruciating pain.

:mrgreen:
Whether on the big ring or small ring at the time doesn't seem to make a difference, although when going up a steep hill it would almost always be the small ring if it is longer than about 5 min long.

No explanation. Just an observation.
Last edited by Rick on Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LionelB

by LionelB

With the new Cipo M2M I would !

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Depends what gradient you are referring to. But typically i'm in the small ring somewhere between a 21 and the 28 cog. My main bike is a mid-compact. Since you said climb, I assumed you are referring to at least a 10% gradient.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

BRM

by BRM

xena wrote: Is the science behind spinning right for everyone or should we experiment for ourselves?

You should at least THINK for yourself. :wink:
Your questions reveal you have not much knowledge about the science you refer to.

xena
Banned

by xena

The science says spinning is better for you. That's why I'm pointing out that I'm riding In what is supposed to be a less efficient way but for me is more efficient. A point I will make is that I am not riding 6 hours a day.
My time up the madone last year was under 35 minutes. I won't say my exact time or I will be accused of having TUE ( ha ha) My best time up all d huez was lowish 40's but I just rode the climb nothing else.
So for me big ring I think works best.
I have tried the little ring but the leg turnover made it feel harder for me. Horses for courses is right but perhaps for some it's better to experiment and not just accept the normal advice has "word" and see if something better might work for you

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I'm more comfortable climbing in the big ring and I cross chain regularly.

If I'm doing long hilly rides I'll climb in the little ring though to save my legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com