Do you climb on your big ring?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Haydn

by Haydn

This thread has tided me over over in lieu of the pro cycling one being locked, god bless the internet

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

I don't engage in these sorts of PMs

xena wrote:Subject: Do you climb on your big ring?

ergott wrote:Real classy :thumbup:

xena wrote:Subject: Do you climb on your big ring?

ergott wrote:The only way you would accurately determine that is with a power meter like Garmin Vectors that measure force direction.

Seriously, let it go. You clearly don't understand this topic like you think you do.

You don't know what I think. I also never claimed to be a expert or think of myself as a expert .
So please keep your insults and assumptions to yourself . Oh yeah you still manage to post a point though

What a hypocritical at$hol% you are .

:beerchug:

Yeah classy just like all the sarcastic and insulting digs you make at me every chance you get , on lots of posts and threads.
That's ok is it ?
you can insult me and make your shitty put down comments whenever you want?

That's classy is it ?

hypocrite

ergott

by ergott

For the record, these are the 3 threads I've replied to Xena on.

search.php?keywords=xena&terms=all&author=ergott&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Sure does support his case of me digging into him every chance I get.
Last edited by ergott on Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

the op is also the same guy who thinks everyone should be riding on a >20mm saddle to handlebar drop. Please disregard his opinion

BRM

by BRM

Break the chain, just STOP posting in this topic.
Save your energy for something that is worth it . . .

:wink:

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

BRM wrote:Break the chain, just STOP posting in this topic.
Save your energy for something that is worth it . . .

:wink:

i think this is excellent advice

Multebear

by Multebear

Now I finally get it. Xena was right all along. Riding in the big ring creates more power and thus makes you faster uphill. Case closed.

wingguy

by wingguy

xena wrote:There is a small difference where you engage your force . You are higher or lower because the of the difference in height /size between the rings. Go and try for yourself.
Its minimal but it is there.

The difference is called your imagination.

wingguy

by wingguy

xena wrote:I agree the arc is the same. But measure your pedal height from the ground at the point you engage power. Try that and tell me if its the same in both rings?

Buy a power meter that has software that shows you your full pedal circle. Try it in both with that data. Then tell us it's different :roll:

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

For training I don't drop below 50x19 on a 100$ steel road bike with a rear rack.
Spring propel viewtopic.php?t=140915
Fall guru merus viewtopic.php?t=155877
Summer carver nonsense viewtopic.php?t=156795

davidebainchi123

by davidebainchi123

xena wrote:I'm not trolling
Ok

I just got my 40 chaining dirty. First time a chain has been on it.
There is a small difference where you engage your force . You are higher or lower because the of the difference in height /size between the rings. Go and try for yourself.
Its minimal but it is there.

Death Xena,

Why do you even write this post? For a good old well done? There you go : WELL DONE!

Now let's just go out and ride our bikes.
Happy riding :beerchug:

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

This thread is hilarious.

Xena is either really not very smart at all ..... in which case I feel sorry for him ...

Or

He is winding everyone up on purpose (ie: he knows he's wrong, just typing rubbish for the sake of it)......... in which case I feel sorry for him.

Does explain a lot of what he posted on the pro cycling thread though.

gravity

by gravity

I think Xena posted a genuine question, it may be stupid question but so does drilling your chainring to lose weight. WW always tolerate beyond the norm questions, this doesn't make this thread any different. Pro cyclists keep the quoting the word "sensation" but I don't hear any backlash from this community.

OP may or may not be trolling, but you guys bashing the OP doesn't make you any better. Get over yourself.

joec

by joec

Ignoring the bad physics in this topic, this has peaked my curiosity, as I have sort of found evidence to suggest the big ring may be more efficient,

now before you all start I dont belive it either, and have been looking for the error that I suspect to be in the measurments that I have seen.

Basically what I have observed is on my trainer with a PM (Quarq Riken) the trainer wattage ( elite Power Fluid) is higher for a given power on the Riken in the big ring. At first I assumed that this was down to a calibration/ measurement issue between small and big ring, but i seem to be able to do a better workout power/ ftp if i use the big ring,

differnence is in the order of 5 watts on a 200w workout or there abouts, so at 2.5ish % easliy a measument issue or just placebo effect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

That could be part of the inertia effect from your turbo, and overcoming it easier with a "bigger" gear.
Just a thought.
Official cafe stop tester