Do you climb on your big ring?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Norregard

by Norregard

xena wrote:"So your legs and body are not doing the exact same movement are they"

But you have to put the force down earlier i.e. because the bigger chainring is closer to your body , your leg is going to be a bit higher when you engage[ use force] the big ring i.e. the difference of the height of the rings.

What do you think ? It may not be a huge difference but surly there is a both physical and mechanical difference?

That is completely nonsensical. It only makes a difference if you have somehow welded your cranks directly to the chainrings instead of having them connected to the bottom bracket. The position of your cranks, pedals and thus your legs is EXACTLY the same whether you have a 30, 34, 50, or 104T chainring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

xena wrote:But you have to put the force down earlier i.e. because the bigger chainring is closer to your body , your leg is going to be a bit higher when you engage[ use force] the big ring i.e. the difference of the height of the rings.

So what you're saying then Xena, is that you don't understand the difference between a chainring and a crankarm? You, who have built what I must say are some extremely nice full custom creations, really are that mechanically ignorant? Your trolling is getting desperate now :lol:

If it was the same then everyone would be able to climb on their big ring.

Everyone who can push an equivalent gear inch in the small ring can do it in the big ring. Thing is the vast majority of people (and I fully include myself in that) are not fast enough on serious climbs to make pushing a big ring gear ratio a remotely sensible or beneficial prospect. They will do better using an easier gear. But that is a completely different conversation.

xena
Banned

by xena

I'm not trolling
Ok

I just got my 40 chaining dirty. First time a chain has been on it.
There is a small difference where you engage your force . You are higher or lower because the of the difference in height /size between the rings. Go and try for yourself.
Its minimal but it is there.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

mattr

by mattr

No. There isn't.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

xena wrote:I'm not trolling
Ok

There is a small difference where you engage your force . You are higher or lower because the of the difference in height /size between the rings. Go and try for yourself.

What is higher or lower? Your body, your leg?

No, neither is different.

Put your bike on a trainer, next to a mirror. Do a revolution in 53/24. Now do the same in 39/16. You will note that your leg has described the exact same arc, that your body hasn't changed position at all.

Your cranks are fixed lengths. Your foot will describe the exact same circle no matter what gear you're in.

perwjensen

by perwjensen

xena wrote:I'm not trolling
Ok

That's funny science.

xena
Banned

by xena

I agree the arc is the same. But measure your pedal height from the ground at the point you engage power. Try that and tell me if its the same in both rings?

ergott

by ergott

ergott wrote:
xena wrote:I'm OK with that " placebo". It works for me. It worked for Valverde earlier in the year, it worked for Pantani , it worked for Bertie in 2014.

You don't have to keep making the same point over and over again . I understand.

...and it only took 7 pages to come to that conclusion.

:thumbup:

We were so close.

and the pages keep coming. :roll:

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

xena wrote:I agree the arc is the same. But measure your pedal height from the ground at the point you engage power. Try that and tell me if its the same in both rings?

If you produce your maximum torque at say 2h45mins (bit less than 3 o'clock), then that is where you make max torque every time. It matters not a jot what ring you are in.

xena
Banned

by xena

cyclespeed wrote:
xena wrote:I agree the arc is the same. But measure your pedal height from the ground at the point you engage power. Try that and tell me if its the same in both rings?

If you produce your maximum torque at say 2h45mins (bit less than 3 o'clock), then that is where you make max torque every time. It matters not a jot what ring you are in.

Go and measure your pedal height from the ground.
Don't theorise. Tell me if it is the same when you apply , engage power.
If your right I'm ok with that
but go check and see if you have a difference in height when you apply force

ergott

by ergott

The only way you would accurately determine that is with a power meter like Garmin Vectors that measure force direction.

Seriously, let it go. You clearly don't understand this topic like you think you do.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

xena wrote:Go and measure your pedal height from the ground.

How on earth do you propose I precisely measure "when I apply, engage power"?

My torque may be 5Nm at 12 o'clock, 20 at 1, 30 at 2, 50 at 3. But I have no way of measuring that.

You are suggesting there is a slight difference between rings. But how can you possibly determine the exact moment at which you produce peak torque? You can't.

caballero

by caballero

I just read all 9 pages of this, and clearly xena is full of Shit (re his climb times ) and has no grasp of the subject he's talking about.

xena
Banned

by xena

cyclespeed wrote:
xena wrote:Go and measure your pedal height from the ground.

How on earth do you propose I precisely measure "when I apply, engage power"?

My torque may be 5Nm at 12 o'clock, 20 at 1, 30 at 2, 50 at 3. But I have no way of measuring that.

You are suggesting there is a slight difference between rings. But how can you possibly determine the exact moment at which you produce peak torque? You can't.

You can't get the exact moment but you can see [ I can ] that there is a difference . For me it is noticeable . I can feel and see where my pedal is when I put the power down.
The bigger ring I seem to put the power down earlier nearer the 10 past twelve mark [ that feels easy for me ]. In the small ring I seem to just push through easier and the power "more force" I need for the revolution comes a bit later which feels more awkward . It may not be the same for everyone but I can see it clearly and feel it . I get a much smoother easier rotation when I have to apply the force earlier in the pedal revolution. It may be a minor difference but it is clearly there and makes a difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Real classy :thumbup:

xena wrote:Subject: Do you climb on your big ring?

ergott wrote:The only way you would accurately determine that is with a power meter like Garmin Vectors that measure force direction.

Seriously, let it go. You clearly don't understand this topic like you think you do.

You don't know what I think. I also never claimed to be a expert or think of myself as a expert .
So please keep your insults and assumptions to yourself . Oh yeah you still manage to post a point though

What a hypocritical at$hol% you are .

:beerchug: