Do you climb on your big ring?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xena
Banned

by xena

cyclespeed wrote:
I spun that section easy in my 26 at the back.

40 cadence is NOT spinning.

I never mentioned my cadence. I never do to me its irrelevant. Speed is relevant if I'm going fast I know it. I don't need no power meter to tell me that.
If I have enough left in my legs to accelerate and go full gas then I know I'm spinning easy.
My powder was dry as they say. The lion was in the cage.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

I haven't read the thread but just answering the title;

I climb in whatever is the biggest ring I can, whilst maintaining cadence and not going over whatever is my current power threshold. Having said that, I don't really look at my power meter loads when climbing and prefer to go on feel. I'll probably change my mind on that over time but for now that is the deal

So if the climb allows for the big ring, then that is what I climb in. If I am I the small ring going up a long one, I might big ring at the end, but know that this will blow me up if I overload for too long.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TheDarkInstall wrote:I haven't read the thread but just answering the title;

I climb in whatever is the biggest ring I can, whilst maintaining cadence and not going over whatever is my current power threshold. Having said that, I don't really look at my power meter loads when climbing and prefer to go on feel. I'll probably change my mind on that over time but for now that is the deal

So if the climb allows for the big ring, then that is what I climb in. If I am I the small ring going up a long one, I might big ring at the end, but know that this will blow me up if I overload for too long.

I agree and do the same.. unfortunately not what the thread is about. Just need to read #1 OP post an you'll know pretty much.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

fa63 wrote:I have been using my big ring for climbing much more since installing this pie-plate on my bike (11-40 with a compact crank):

:D

Shimano rear mtb derailleur?
Spring propel viewtopic.php?t=140915
Fall guru merus viewtopic.php?t=155877
Summer carver nonsense viewtopic.php?t=156795

sungod

by sungod

upon reading this, i'm reliably informed that the ghost of henry ii was heard to say, " will no one rid ww of this turbulent thread?"

fa63

by fa63

Raccooningtanuki wrote:Shimano rear mtb derailleur?

No, it is a mid cage Ultegra with a Wolftooth Roadlink.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

xena wrote:
cyclespeed wrote:

I never mentioned my cadence. I never do to me its irrelevant. Speed is relevant if I'm going fast I know it. I don't need no power meter to tell me that.
If I have enough left in my legs to accelerate and go full gas then I know I'm spinning easy.

No you didn't mention cadence, but I did.

You said you were going up sustained 18 to 20% slopes. Even pros are going to be only in the low teens here, so that's why I said 10km/h.

10km/h equates to 40 cadence in your 53-26 gear.

So either a) you're going a lot faster than 10km/h and spinning faster than 40, in which case a pro contract awaits you,
or
b) you are grinding a too big gear for no reason.

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

cyclespeed wrote:
xena wrote:
cyclespeed wrote:

No you didn't mention cadence, but I did.

You said you were going up sustained 18 to 20% slopes. Even pros are going to be only in the low teens here, so that's why I said 10km/h.

10km/h equates to 40 cadence in your 53-26 gear.

So either a) you're going a lot faster than 10km/h and spinning faster than 40, in which case a pro contract awaits you,
or
b) you are grinding a too big gear for no reason.

I push to big of gears up hills just for training. Just like I add weight to my bike to train. If you tell me to use a turbo trainer then there's no point in biking for me. The correct gear will feel easier on race day.
Spring propel viewtopic.php?t=140915
Fall guru merus viewtopic.php?t=155877
Summer carver nonsense viewtopic.php?t=156795

liam7020

by liam7020

This has probably been said before but surely this is easy to resolve? This lad (OP) sounds like he's in the London area - there must be enough members around the south of England to organize a wee WW group ride, throw in a few hills and see how he fares in his big ring? Would be a good day out...
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Not sure Liam, judging by this I think Jan Ullrich has come out of retirement, moved to London and is looking for a bunch ride to train for vets at Hog Hill. :shock:

Love to see someone come the steep way up Downe Road on the big ring though http://veloviewer.com/segment/3981571/Downe+Road+Climb so maybe that ride would be worth it.

liam7020

by liam7020

That hill looks like it'd bring a tear to a stone rc!! Could it be suitable for the WW Big (ego?) Ring Challenge....?!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Plenty of roads like Downe Road in that area.

No idea why you'd want to ride it in the big ring.

Surely you want to be in a gear that allows you to react when the gradient changes. 53/27 gives you nowhere to go if the road ramps up other than trying to shift into the little ring when you're already on the limit. 39/21 or 36/19 gives you scope to change up or down when the gradient changes.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

liam7020

by liam7020

Thought that gearing would have been a sensible option. Apparently not.... Anyhow few more potential hills for the WW BRC!

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

:smartass:

Thinking about it. I recall JamieL saying he used something like a 39/21 to ride the Catford HC. So 53/27 is obvs doable...

.. so long as you can podium in the nationals and smash out 10-11 W/Kg. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hovis

by Hovis

Stop feeding the troll and let this thread die.