Campagnolo Hydraulic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I was told 2018 release by a campagnolo guy at euro bike.

Roel W

by Roel W

Calnago wrote:I don't believe Campagnolo has ever been fully committed to the idea of disc brakes on road bikes, and has been taking a "just in case" kind of development role. Following the market trend if you will, but wants to make sure it's going to stick before heading into full on production. They are not the behemoth of Shimano, and have no real presence in the mountain bike world, despite getting their feet wet years ago. They likely have to be very careful about new markets they enter these days, from a business point of view. So, they're working on getting them ready for sure but I would bet that they want to be certain the UCI is going to allow them in the peloton, because those are the bikes that showcase their products in the best light. Interesting times ahead for Campagnolo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Campagnolo released the Potenza groupset to compete with Ultegra. If they really want to be on the same level as Ultegra, they need disc brakes as more and more gravel bikes, road bikes, ... are being released with disc brakes. This is a huge market. Not everyone is racing and needs to be compliant with the UCI rules.
I have always ridden Campagnolo but I'm strongly considering disc brakes on my next bike. If Campagnolo doesn't offer this, I'm switching to Shimano.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thebucket

by thebucket

bm0p700f wrote:I was told 2018 release by a campagnolo guy at euro bike.

Model year 2018 or calendar year?

So a speculative wireless EPS v4 is not within 3-4 years from now. Maybe i should really look at the etap Hyd for my next bike

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Roel W wrote:
Calnago wrote:I don't believe Campagnolo has ever been fully committed to the idea of disc brakes on road bikes, and has been taking a "just in case" kind of development role. Following the market trend if you will, but wants to make sure it's going to stick before heading into full on production. They are not the behemoth of Shimano, and have no real presence in the mountain bike world, despite getting their feet wet years ago. They likely have to be very careful about new markets they enter these days, from a business point of view. So, they're working on getting them ready for sure but I would bet that they want to be certain the UCI is going to allow them in the peloton, because those are the bikes that showcase their products in the best light. Interesting times ahead for Campagnolo.

Campagnolo released the Potenza groupset to compete with Ultegra. If they really want to be on the same level as Ultegra, they need disc brakes as more and more gravel bikes, road bikes, ... are being released with disc brakes. This is a huge market. Not everyone is racing and needs to be compliant with the UCI rules.
I have always ridden Campagnolo but I'm strongly considering disc brakes on my next bike. If Campagnolo doesn't offer this, I'm switching to Shimano.

no they don't... potenza is twice the price of ultegra and campag doesn't directly compete with shimano in any way..
the bread winner at shimano is and always be Sora and 105

the wait and see approach is good..

people said campags refusal to go to far east MFG was short sighted and bad for the company..
it was not..
let SRAM and shimano work out the bugs and issues on the OEM crap and launch a sorted high end product in good time .. sounds like an on 'Campagnolo' brand plan to me :roll:

nd2rc

by nd2rc

I was really opposed the disc for a good while there, but the more I see it the more I want it. Sure hope they come to market soon, so many disc road bikes are flooding showroom floors.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

spookyload wrote:Call me crazy, but even though that rotor says campagnolo on it, it looks just like my Magura Storm SL rotors. Exactly like them in fact.

They are Magura. By now.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

XCProMD

by XCProMD

sugarkane wrote:
Roel W wrote:

no they don't... potenza is twice the price of ultegra and campag doesn't directly compete with shimano in any way..
the bread winner at shimano is and always be Sora and 105

the wait and see approach is good..

people said campags refusal to go to far east MFG was short sighted and bad for the company..
it was not..
let SRAM and shimano work out the bugs and issues on the OEM crap and launch a sorted high end product in good time .. sounds like an on 'Campagnolo' brand plan to me :roll:

And there is more to it. Campagnolo took the decision not only one but three times that I know of of keeping both the capital and the manufacturing in-house. They are simply not interested in being huge.

I've been hearing about their demise for three decades now. And thy are still around and this very year their sales are not slopping in what is being a terrible season for the cycling industry.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Potenza is around 630 euro here. Ultegra around 580. Not thát big a difference.

Mackers

by Mackers

600 vs 520 around here.

Enough of a difference for me.

Pieter

by Pieter

Where do you find such low prices?

havana

by havana

Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

BRM

by BRM

Think Hopmans only delivers in the Netherlands and Belgium.

Also people need to be aware that these kind of special offers only have one crankset to choose from.
For the Ultegra offer in this example you are stuck with 172,5mm. When you want that its ok, but if you are out on 170 or 175 cranksets, then it cost you some more. Not 519,- but a total of 615,-

When comparing prices and or finding special offers, be aware of WHAT the offer exactly is.