how much outward freeplay on SRAM Red Shifters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

motorthings

by motorthings

I have a set of 2012 SRAM red shifters with ~10k miles on them, and i'm wondering if they have developed free play in them, or if i messed something up with the last cable change.
The paddles sit inboard of the brake levers (regardless of cable tension), so the travel to shift isn't longer, but the location where my fingers first make contact with the paddles is beyond the brake lever.
I can move the paddle outwards to the edge of the brake lever, but it adds up to a lot of slop, and i'd really like the paddle to sit right even with the brake lever.....like my new rival hydraulic setup on my gravel bike - it has the paddles sitting even with the brake levers, so the shifting is easier on my arthritic hands.

my questions are these: is this a problem in the red shifters (wear?), or have i set something up wrong? i think the paddles were in the right place when I first installed the shifters, but am not sure. if it is wear, what are the odds that SRAM will warranty them (4 years later) or that i can replace the worn bits?

thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

from your wording it sounds like it's the same with both shifters, in which case it seems most likely you've done something wrong

i switched to etap now, but my old red shifters had way over 30,000 km on them with no sign of wear

motorthings

by motorthings

sungod wrote:from your wording it sounds like it's the same with both shifters, in which case it seems most likely you've done something wrong
i switched to etap now, but my old red shifters had way over 30,000 km on them with no sign of wear

i thought it might be cable slack, but when i pull the cable tight from the frame, it does not move the levers...any ideas what i might need to do to fix it?

sungod

by sungod

it's a ratchet system, i don't think cable tension would cause this

are the heads of the cables correctly located in the recesses in the shifters?

best thing to do is remove and start again, with no cables inserted the levers should be correct

motorthings

by motorthings

sungod wrote:it's a ratchet system, i don't think cable tension would cause this
are the heads of the cables correctly located in the recesses in the shifters?
best thing to do is remove and start again, with no cables inserted the levers should be correct

good suggestion...will give it a shot, thanks!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Never seen a Sram shifter with that kind of play. Sorry, I know this isn't helpful. But a worthwhile data point.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

motorthings

by motorthings

I checked the seating of the head of the cables in the shifters, and they are both where they should be, so installation error is not the cause.

i made a video to explain better what i found: https://youtu.be/RNQP4JZF6yk

i'll shoot an email to a contact i have at SRAM and see what they have to say...

xena
Banned

by xena

If you go on the sram site they have a breakdown of the shifters. I have pulled them apart to remove the paddle so I'm sure you could easily find the problem . Just have to take your time. They do sell lots of spares if needed.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

my sram red 13 shifters also does not sit flush with the brake lever but there is no play

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Just checked all of my Red shifters. 3 sets are fine. One first generation rear shifter (one my wife's bike) has similar slop that you show, but it works fine. I do have an older Force rear shifter on a spare bike with a lot of play. It also works very well and has the lightest lever action of the bunch. Probably due to a favourable cable route though.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

motorthings

by motorthings

thanks for the input....i cleaned/lubed the gears on the rear der, and it is less sticky, but still has the slop. i think i may just need a new set of paddles, but will try a full teardown this winter to see exactly what is going on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com