Advice needed on a 25 mm tubular

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lafolie

by Lafolie

Presently running 23 mm Veloflex carbons. But would now like to move over to 25 mm for a little more ride comfort. I'm looking at either the new Vittoria Corsa graphene , Schwalbe one or the trusted Conti comp. Having only ridden latex ( veloflex carbons)........is there a massive road feel difference with the Conti's which are butyl. Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Why not get arenburgs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

RyanH

by RyanH

There's a massive ride difference between Carbons and Sprinters. The Vittoria Corsa's in 23mm are nice (I can't discern a ride difference from the carbons) but they're more expensive. I just put them on so I can't report back on durability but Carbons have been ace in that department.

FMB51

by FMB51

I have been riding 25mm FMB's since switching to 100% tubular on all three wheels sets a couple of years ago. Currently have the Paris Roubaix Pro, Paris Roubaix and Competition CX in use. Love them all. I have a pair of the new Corsa Graphenes on the stretching rims, may try them next. Have ridden the Arenberg's and they are wonderful tires. Great feel, super comfortable and I found them to be reasonably durable (note: our roads are not awful).

Lafolie

by Lafolie

cheers

sungod

by sungod

i've been riding carbon/arenburg front/rear for years, in the last couple of months i fitted the corsa g+ (23/25) to try them out, i'm hoping for improved cut resistance on wet roads (haven't had any wet rides, so too early to know)

at first i though they weren't as plush, but actually i think they're better at slightly higher pressures than i was running the veloflex at, once i increased the pressure the feel improved, not what i'd expected

pbk were selling them at a decent discount, not sure if that's still the case, but worth shopping around

compared to veloflex there's a more pronounced lump around the valve, i had a problem with a tick/click at the valve area on the front, not enough pressure/tension on it when mounting, eventually i had to pull the tyre off and reglue, i'm sure it'll vary with wheels though

my lightweight valve extenders didn't seal well, i got some vittoria ones and they are fine, the diameter of the o-ring that seals them is visibly bigger than the lightweight ones (which maybe are conti)

the basetape is coated, but seems less prone to the coating peeling off when removing that the coating on veloflex

didn't need to stretch them, i found them even easier to fit than veloflex

so far i really like them

Lafolie

by Lafolie

sungod wrote:i've been riding carbon/arenburg front/rear for years, in the last couple of months i fitted the corsa g+ (23/25) to try them out, i'm hoping for improved cut resistance on wet roads (haven't had any wet rides, so too early to know)

at first i though they weren't as plush, but actually i think they're better at slightly higher pressures than i was running the veloflex at, once i increased the pressure the feel improved, not what i'd expected

pbk were selling them at a decent discount, not sure if that's still the case, but worth shopping around

compared to veloflex there's a more pronounced lump around the valve, i had a problem with a tick/click at the valve area on the front, not enough pressure/tension on it when mounting, eventually i had to pull the tyre off and reglue, i'm sure it'll vary with wheels though

my lightweight valve extenders didn't seal well, i got some vittoria ones and they are fine, the diameter of the o-ring that seals them is visibly bigger than the lightweight ones (which maybe are conti)

the basetape is coated, but seems less prone to the coating peeling off when removing that the coating on veloflex

didn't need to stretch them, i found them even easier to fit than veloflex

so far i really like them

many thanks....great advice :-)

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

spdntrxi wrote:Why not get arenburgs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly! I have been rolling Arenbergs for about four years now since I made the move to 25mm tubs. They are plush (at 80/90 psi for my 155lbs) and hard wearing. Great tub. If you like the Veloflex Carbon, you'll love the Arenberg.

em3

by em3

If you do some searching you might find Vitt Paves around on clearance (everyone is making room for the new G+ tires). The Pave is a plush ride and very durable....I just retired a Pave on which I clocked over 3000 miles (only one flat during its service time, and I live in NYC). If you want a bit more plush get some Corsas...a bit less durable but more plush.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have been running the Veloflex Arenbergs for some time now. They are very comfortable and seem to wear well. I have yet to find anything from Vittoria as durable and flat resistant. I have been running 23's because they are more readily available. I think I will buy some 25's when they become available.

superdx

by superdx

Lafolie wrote:Presently running 23 mm Veloflex carbons. But would now like to move over to 25 mm for a little more ride comfort. I'm looking at either the new Vittoria Corsa graphene , Schwalbe one or the trusted Conti comp. Having only ridden latex ( veloflex carbons)........is there a massive road feel difference with the Conti's which are butyl. Cheers

Punctures imo are a matter of luck, but I flatted constantly on Schwable Ones and Conti Comps. Both did not really have longevity, tread would wear away fast as well with lots of cuts, debris stuck in the tread etc.. I'd take those off your list for consideration.

Schwable Ones are latex tubes and Conti Comps are butyl. Schwable Ones is a very very plush ride, while Conti Comps are like riding rocks in comparison. If you get lucky enough not to puncture on either and have good tread wear, I'd run with the Schwable Ones.

I'd also given the Arenbergs a try. I'm on Pro4 tubs at the moment and they seem to be doing fairly well too (also a latex tube).

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I was on the pro4's before the arenburgs and agree the pro4 is a pretty nice tire as well.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

LionelB

by LionelB

One's do not have latex tubes anymore.

Arenberg/Roubaix are the best 25mm tub, ride great, last quite a bit.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

Do you think Veloflex have kept up to date on tyre technology ?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha! It's rubber, it's round, it holds air and it feels good. It's easy to glue and doesn't cut up like Vittorias seem to. And itheyre way easier to mount than a Continental Competition. And if you want a tan wall tire, the color is actually tan and not whitish as are the new Vittorias. Personally I think the white sidewalls of the new Vittorias are a bit too much.
So to answer your question, n a word, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com