Switching wheels between 10 and 11 speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

McNamara

by McNamara

So, let's say I'm cheap and want to use the same rear wheel for both a 10-speed bike and a different, 11-speed bike. Is this simply a matter of swapping cassettes on the freehub (including whatever spacer might be required)?

The reason I ask is that I don't yet want to go to the expense of upgrading the SRAM Red 2012 on my current road bike to Red 22, but the next bike I purchase is certain to come standard with an 11-speed drivetrain. I'd like to buy just one set of carbon racing tubular wheels for both bikes, eventually.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

huffington

by huffington

Yeah, if you use 10 speed you need a spacer on the freehub, and that should be it. Many wheels come with the spacer included!

McNamara

by McNamara

Excellent, sounds like a plan!

My current wheels are Mavic Ksyrium, with a 10-speed SRAM cassette. Any foreseeable issues with putting an 11-speed Shimano cassette on them? I'm guessing the current freehub has a spacer already; perhaps I should remove it to see what spacer is on there.

huffington

by huffington

I've read that Mavic 10-speed wheels (older models) are already compatible with 11 speed, apparently you just have to remove a spacer and add a thinner one, from 3mm to 1.2mm (or just remove it), so it shouldn't be a problem.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Simple as a cassette swap. My TT bike is still 10 speed, so when switching between bikes on the trainer just need to change the cassettes.

As for Mavic wheels they seemingly were ahead of the curve and most wheels I've encountered are 11 speed compatible. All you need to do is remove the included spacer and your 11 speed cassette will fit perfectly. It's been a while since I've used a mavic wheel, so someone with a current set will be able to confirm.

Bluecoupe

by Bluecoupe

Yes, just remove the spacer when going from the 10spd to the 11spd for the Mavic wheels.

McNamara

by McNamara

Awesome, thanks for the help everyone!

:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

not all 10-speed hubs are 11 speed capable. older wheels have a spacer...but for the Shimano splines...the spacer was for the transition of 9-speed to 10-speed.

if you have an older 10-speed hub with spacer removed...there's a few options. you can use an Edco 11-speed cassette, but have to buy an extra red lock ring especially for this purpose.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc