28mm tyres on a trek madone?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

swissphil

by swissphil

does anyone tried?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't want to run them because of the aero penalty you'd suffer with them on (I have a 5.2, same frame style, different carbon). I think 25c is probably the best balance between aero and comfort.

swissphil

by swissphil

Thank you for your answer. What kind of wheels are you using? The bontrager aerolus are blowing up the tyres a little bit.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Zipp 404's. They make 23's plump up to almost 25c. I'll let you know how the 25's turn out when they arrive next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Madone 9: 28 Conti GP 4 seasons fit with plenty of room to spare on wide aeolus clincher rims.

super wide 30 strada biancha tubulars fit but lack a reasonable amount of clearance for road debris.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

coloclimber wrote:Madone 9: 28 Conti GP 4 seasons fit with plenty of room to spare on wide aeolus clincher rims.

super wide 30 strada biancha tubulars fit but lack a reasonable amount of clearance for road debris.

28mm Continental Grand Prix 4 Season is identical to 25mm in width but only heavier. Continental is aware of the mistake from their end and will release new batch in the near future.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

FIJIGabe wrote:I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't want to run them because of the aero penalty you'd suffer with them on

Totally. That bike would be impossible to pedal with all the drag from 28's.

TacoShoppe

by TacoShoppe

I'm running clx64 with 26mm sworks turbo pro in the rear on Madone 9. Balloons out to just under 30mm, Has plenty of clearance all around.

madik

by madik

FIJIGabe wrote:I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't want to run them because of the aero penalty you'd suffer with them on (I have a 5.2, same frame style, different carbon). I think 25c is probably the best balance between aero and comfort.

It depends... On the quality of roads mostly running on. The dissadvantage of increased drag with 28c might be smaller than what you gain with decreased rolling resistance on lower quality road surface with 28c's.
There is still a good option to opt for 25 on front and 28 in the rear. So you get the advantage of beter rollign resistance, increased comfort and pretty much unaffected aerodynamic drag.
Functionality > Performance > Weight

WhyZ

by WhyZ

I think that, 28c tire is too much on road bike.
And chainstay clearance is not cover to 28c tire.
And if you use the 28c tire, brakes also not covered.
Which brakes you using?? Please let me know.
I try to 26c tire, but zero gravity brakes covered maximum 25c tire.

johntc

by johntc

Hi,
It depends on a few things: tire, wheels, and brakes. The short background is that I wanted to upgrade my wheels from Dura Ace C24 to the new Bontrager Aeolus 4 xxx (BA4X). The problems started with the BA4X wheels sitting my 25mm tires much taller, where my Dura Ace R9000 brakes would rub the tire, unless I kept the brake pad clearance small. Also, I wanted to use my C24s for training and use the BA4X for fast training group rides and racing. The other part is that the latest publications tout that 25mm is now the racing standard, and 28mm also offers low rolling resistance.

Here is the base setup:
* Frame: Trek Madone 6 2014
* Tires: Conti GP 4000 S II, 25mm and 28mm
* Wheels: Dura Ace C24, Bontrager Aeolus 4 xxx (BA4X)
* Rear Brake: Dura Ace R9010
* Front Brake: Dura Ace R9010 -> R9110
Note: The new R9110 provides more tire clerance.

OK, I was able to achieve my goals:
* Provide more clearance for the BA4X with 25mm tire. And I will use 25mm for fast rides and racing.
* Allow my C24s the ability to use 28mm for training and cushy rides (older now and need cushy sometimes).

Regarding the tire clearance, the C24s with the 28mm tire has >5mm clearance in the rear and ~3-4mm in the front (a little tight). Also, I am a stikler to keeping my frame protected, so I did add some helicopter tape in the rear, for the leaves and debre that can get caught between the tire and the frame.

The BA4X will stay with the 25mm tires, and it would likely not fit with the BA4X + 28mm tire. But that's not my plan. From my experience, different wheels will position the tire hieght differently.

As I started with, "it depends". I was motivated to make my new BA4X wheels work out smoothly, which led me to buying a new front brake. The new front brake then allowed me to fit my old C24 wheels with 28mm tires. I believe the C24s pulls in the bead of the tire more, which makes the tire's profile lower than with the BA4X wheels.

Weresquatch

by Weresquatch

I run Conti 4000 28s w/ultegra rims just fine on a 2014 Madone 2.1. There are no issues with fit as I ran them on the stock wheels too. You can even run 28 tires w/a bit of knob as a gravel tyre too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com