Veloflex Record vs Conti Supersonic - durability

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I know both are probably not everyday tires :lol: BUt when it comes to durability and puncture resistence, which is probably better?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Some data on the Record is provided here. The Corsa performed better than the Conti GP 4000 on the puncture test. However the thread depth of both the Record and Corsa point to a very low mileage tire. The maximum tire thickness of the Record is only 1.5mm, but it's insanely fast.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/veloflex-corsa-2016

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Puncture protection is (at least slightly) overrated - people - including me - are riding Compass and Grand Bois tires which don't have any, and they don't flat that much more.

roox

by roox

The Veloflex is an amazing tire, just doesn't last that long as its paper thin. I would pick a different tire if you are going to be doing lots of descending and cornering though. But depending on your weight, pressures and road surfaces you'll get a few good races out of it. I cannot imagine the conti to be better, it can't get more supple than the veloflex in my opinion.

Alumen

by Alumen

Marin wrote:Puncture protection is (at least slightly) overrated - people - including me - are riding Compass and Grand Bois tires which don't have any, and they don't flat that much more.

+1

That's my personal experience as well.

If you talk about puncture protection anyway, it is more the thickness of the rubber than the puncture protection layer itself that protects.

But in case of a thin rubber layer, any extra protection might help indeed. So I vote for the Veloflex.

(btw. what will be the purpose of the tire ?)
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

RussellS

by RussellS

I have the Supersonic tires. They last quite awhile. Not as long as regular tires. But they are not a change every other ride tire. Have not had many flats with them. Not much worse than regular tires. No complaints with them, other than they do wear out quicker. But still last awhile.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com