Pinarello F8 vs. Madone 9.....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

albertop07

by albertop07

kgt wrote:The 54 F8 is actually a bigger size than the 54 Madone.

F8 Size 53cm: Top Tube 545 mm - Head Tube: 139mm (don' t forget to add the headset)
F8 Size 54cm: Top Tube 550 mm - Head Tube: 147mm

Madone 9 Size 54cm Top Tube H2: 543mm
Madone 9 Size 54cm Top Tube H2: 544mm (Madone is shorter, but reach on the bars is 90mm - reg in 80mm)

H1 Geometry is made in little quantities for pro riders (like Domane Koppenberg was made in the past). It's more expensive and only available in P1 or RSL.

kgt

by kgt

F8 Size 54cm: Top Tube 550 mm - Head Tube: 147+4=151mm - Reach: 386mm - seat angle: 73,4
Madone 9 Size 54cm H2: Top Tube 543mm - Head Tube: 155mm - Reach: 381mm - seat angle: 73,7

Not that similar IMHO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

4mm lower and 5mm longer. Now compare that Pina to the H1. It's crazy how much difference there is. I fit most 53-54cm bikes with less than 20mm spacer and a neg6 stem. That's within the operating range of a race bike.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

albertop07

by albertop07

Another good comparison is with Specialized Venge Vias or Scott Foil.

Venge Vias Size 54cm headtube: 150mm (Madone H2 is 155 and H1 is 120)
Scott Foil Size 54cm headtube: 150mm

H2 is not upright, it's just like the other bikes

Trek resellers only have H2 in stock. H1 is special order only (and special models).

The regular Madones 9.2, 9.5 and 9.9 and only available in H2 (no H1 on those models).

kgt

by kgt

Scott Foil 54 has a 550mm tt and 54 ViAS a 547mm tt. Reach is longer as well and seat angles smaller (especially in the case of the Foil).
So Madone is maybe close but certainly it's not 'just like' the others. Foil is certainly more aggressive.

If an H2 Madone with a slammed stem is as low as one can go, that's ok. But certainly there are frames that put the rider in a much more aero position.

JHY

by JHY

kgt wrote:If an H2 Madone with a slammed stem is as low as one can go, that's ok. But certainly there are frames that put the rider in a much more aero position.

The point of an "aero frame" is to serve as an aerodynamically optimized frame - NOT to modify the rider's position. As ergott has been saying, the position is dependent on bio-mechanics and can be optimized by a bike-fit. The frame needs to simply fit underneath the rider's optimized position. For many, the H2 geo can offer an extreme position (while still working within optimal bio-mechanics).

Compromising bike position to fit onto a more "extreme" fitting bike frame is very possible, and may look rad. It's also doing it wrong, IMO.

kgt

by kgt

I can accept that but it reminds me of 90kg riders looking for the 'marginal gains' offered by a 5kg bike.

An H2 Madone gets you in a less aero position than most racing bikes. If that's the lowest one can go in terms of his 'bio-mechanics', that's ok. But for most competitive riders that is certainly not low enough. Just my two cents...

Epic-o

by Epic-o

kgt wrote:I can accept that but it reminds me of 90kg riders looking for the 'marginal gains' offered by a 5kg bike.

An H2 Madone gets you in a less aero position than most racing bikes. If that's the lowest one can go in terms of his 'bio-mechanics', that's ok. But for most competitive riders that is certainly not low enough. Just my two cents...

Don't you get tired of giving stupid arguments and being wrong?

sd5500

by sd5500

oh man, can't believe my research didn't include this useful thread before ordering my F8 ;)

Kongbop

by Kongbop

Perfer Mardone! which is H1 fit. :)

MalibuCANE

by MalibuCANE

I have been riding every version of the Trek Madone for the past 15 years or so in H1 fit size 58 and I am a big fan of Trek. I recently had a crash and got a crash replacement Émonda frame in the same size because I spend most of my time climbing and don't have a need for an aero frame. For whatever reason, even though the geometry numbers are the same, I couldn't get the right fit on the Trek. Well, the black Pinarello F8 that I have been eying on the wall of the bike shop was screaming my name. I ride a 56 in the F8 and it fits me like a glove. The ride quality is absolutely amazing and I couldn't be happier.

jeffy

by jeffy

spartan wrote:madone frameset module is a better deal. includes frame/fork/seatmast/brakes/integrated stem bar combo.

AFAIK frameset does not include include integrated stem bar combo, or at least they told me that on the trek chat support, odd as you cant use any other bar - and the integrated bar/stem is expensive.

VengeSWrks

by VengeSWrks

MalibuCANE wrote:I have been riding every version of the Trek Madone for the past 15 years or so in H1 fit size 58 and I am a big fan of Trek. I recently had a crash and got a crash replacement Émonda frame in the same size because I spend most of my time climbing and don't have a need for an aero frame. For whatever reason, even though the geometry numbers are the same, I couldn't get the right fit on the Trek. Well, the black Pinarello F8 that I have been eying on the wall of the bike shop was screaming my name. I ride a 56 in the F8 and it fits me like a glove. The ride quality is absolutely amazing and I couldn't be happier.

:thumbup: I love my F8 as its an awesome all-around workhorse especially with enve 4.6 ses wheels. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I had a 9.9 H2 in a 56 and sent it back.

The bike is beautiful but the frame is just oddly sized.

For instance, the max seat post height for a 56 in 760mm. I'm 183cm and have short legs, and had to have the seatpost set to max, so can only assume a similar height rider with long legs would not fit at all well on the bike.

I threw my leg over a 58 H2 but it was like sitting on a barn door.

If you're in the market for a Madone, buy the H1 fit. A 56/58 H1 would be my next bike, but I have a Cervelo S5 now.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop