Question to the aero gurus - "non aero" frame vs Cervelo S5 frame / fork / seatpost

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fa63

by fa63

You guys don't even bother watching the video...

Test was done with the same wheels and fit coordinates between the two bikes.

Also, the wind doesn't typically hit the bike head on. Not to mention, most aero bikes have "hourglass" shaped head tubes. Shape matters when it comes to aerodynamics, and a good old round tube is not a good shape for that.

RyanH

by RyanH

@beeseebee thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that before.

So, from my tests I approximated the difference between the Foil and Cervelo at roughly 0.01 CdA (about 8w @ 40kph). According to Tom's comparison in the wind tunnel of a Stinner vs Vias, he's showing 0.005 (4w, right?) with rider and 0.007 without rider...and again this is in the wind tunnel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@fa63: Sorry, I just read through it and saw "80's bike" and in the text they made no mention that wheels at least were the same. Went back and watched the video (seen it before). Wheels were the same, you're right. And over 40km they came up with a 50 second difference. Hmmm. Ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

RyanH yeah, that's about what I got, sorry I mixed up a number for the Stinner vs. Vias and overstated it as 15W, but ~7.5W on bike and ~5W with rider.

I'd love to see one of those English TT builds compared to a current TT frame.

kgt

by kgt

BeeSeeBee wrote:I'd love to see one of those English TT builds compared to a current TT frame.

Me too!

stk57

by stk57

mrlobber wrote:BRM, thank you for completely useless post.

BRM, biased, grumpy and not of any help ? I have no clue on what you're talking about ?! :noidea: He's usually so charming, just look at his posts.

Hmm, we may have just unlocked the beast, watch out !

jeffy

by jeffy

youngs_modulus wrote:
I can see from your thoughtful responses that you are a man unburdened by reflection. You're no slave to science or analysis; rather, you plow forward with all of the reflexive determination of a newly-gelded ox.

I can't believe people try to confuse you with facts. If the world had more people like you, people who insisted on easy answers to hard questions, we'd have a lot more easy answers. And who wouldn't want that?

this is fantastic.

*simplified to be less specific