Any one-piece aero bars with 140mm stem?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Really couldn't find any this weekend when looking around. Thinking to use a Deda Superleggero stem 140mm and some aero compact bars instead now, any idea what bars might suit, aero would be preferable. Alu is fine too.

Want the cockpit to look like this:

Bottom part of the bars seem to swoop back nice and far. I like that. Any ideas appreciated!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

I sort of was in the same position and got to the point of picking up a 3T Aeronova which has a long reach and the bar shape you're after. You could probably go down to a 130mm stem with the 3T which opens up more options
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Shrike

by Shrike

Those are nice bars.. but blurb on a website says they can't be used with Dura Ace mechanical shifters. Weird!

Marin

by Marin

sawyer wrote:3T Aeronova which has a long reach

The Aeronova has a long reach on paper, but in reality it doesn't - don't base your calculations on the published specs before you've measured it. Excellent bar though.

Alternatives could be Deda Superzero, Bontrager Aero or Ritchey.

sawyer

by sawyer

Marin wrote:
sawyer wrote:3T Aeronova which has a long reach

The Aeronova has a long reach on paper, but in reality it doesn't - don't base your calculations on the published specs before you've measured it. Excellent bar though.

Alternatives could be Deda Superzero, Bontrager Aero or Ritchey.

Hi the Aeronova has a long reach on paper and in reality I can assure you. Though stated specs are often misleading I completely agree

Marin

by Marin

Yes? I have one and I had to swap to a longer stem.

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

^^ I have one and changed to a shorter stem (80mm from 100mm). Maybe it depends on the bar you are replacing (mine = C2 - 70mm reach vs AERONOVA - 104mm reach). I agree its awesome/excellent, quite expensive though.

Shrike

by Shrike

Damn that looks cool as f..

Can I see a side shot? Really interested in the compact shape.. think it suits my bike the best. Actually came with compact bars but sold them. 3 changes later and I'm going back :oops:

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Shrike wrote:Damn that looks cool as f..

Can I see a side shot? Really interested in the compact shape.. think it suits my bike the best. Actually came with compact bars but sold them. 3 changes later and I'm going back :oops:

See all the views you like here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0VZQoWNnAQ

The reach is long on paper and in reality, although obviously it's on the hoods you feel it most, less in the drops.

Shrike

by Shrike

Cheers cyclespeed, great vid as always, seen your stuff before. Pretty much sold on these now, do you know why they say Dura Ace mechanical shifters can't be used with them? Seems so odd to me. :x

Ravnsnaes

by Ravnsnaes

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dk/e ... -06-p-app1

Chainreactioncycles have the Deda Alanera in stock with the 140mm length, plus its on sale!

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Shrike wrote:Cheers cyclespeed, great vid as always, seen your stuff before. Pretty much sold on these now, do you know why they say Dura Ace mechanical shifters can't be used with them? Seems so odd to me. :x

I have no idea. Seems odd to me too. I use 9070 Di2 but as far as I know, the clamping system of the 9000 shifters is pretty much the same. And although it's a bit tricky to thread the cables through the bar, I see no reason why a wire gear cable can't go the same way an electrical one does. (The trickiest part for me was the brake outer).

Where did you get that piece of info, I don't remember seeing it?

Shrike

by Shrike

It's on retailer sites, seen a few of them repeating the same blurb, eg.

https://www.radialcycles.co.uk/3t-aeron ... -42cm.html

Tempted to try it anyway :P
Last edited by Shrike on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sawyer

by sawyer

Marin wrote:Yes? I have one and I had to swap to a longer stem.

That might be the case for you but it doesn't change the dimensions! Second longest I've used of maybe twenty odd. Long reach bars rock IMO anyway ... can't believe one can't use DA shifters with this BTW ...

@cyclespeed - nice vid! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Seems the concern IS threading 2 cable outers through the bar (brake and gear). But seems it can be done with persistence, and it may depend which outers you use as some are thicker and stiffer than others.

Here's how I did it; thread off cut 'dummy' cables (no nipples) through the sleeves provided. Remove sleeves. If doing 9000, then start with brake outer and thread that onto dummy inner. Pull through. Remove dummy inner. then do same for gear cable.

Doing all this with bar off the bike will make it easier. Needle nose pliers and my special hooking tool!! help too.