Looking to buy a New frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aj

by aj

I'm off to the cycle show in Birmingham next weekend :thumbup: to anyone who's been before do the big brands sell frames there and if so do you think/know if you can get them at a good price :?:

wingguy

by wingguy

No, not really. The big brands go to cycle shows to exhibit, not to sell. Mostly they'd direct you to your local dealers if you wanted to buy a bike or frame. There will be bike shops there too though, and they may be offering some discounts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Yeah you won't really find the manufacturers having things actually for sale, bikes, frames etc are more just there for exhibition purposes really.
From my previous experience (although a good few years ago now) going on the last day of the show is usually the best way to negotiate a good deal. Some retailers become very flexible with price rather than package things back up to take back to their shop.

AJS914

by AJS914

If you want a deal, find a used in like-new condition frame.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

burglarboycie wrote:...From my previous experience (although a good few years ago now) going on the last day of the show is usually the best way to negotiate a good deal. Some retailers become very flexible with price rather than package things back up to take back to their shop.

That's exactly how this frame was acquired. From Interbike 2010... First M10 in the country and I believe the only year they made it in matte black with the 3k weave. I think it was a difficult finish to produce in the molds without creating a crease in the 3k finish at the middle seam where the mold halves meet. But yeah, this was a friend involved with Mad Fiber at the time who showed up and I can't remember if I purchased my C59 after seeing this finish or if I had already ordered it at the time. Didn't even finish the taping or steertube, was so excited to get it out on the road. But on the whole, it's pretty hit and miss to get a frame this way because it has to be your size, take it as is, and be hush hush about any deal you may have gotten. But it does save the manufacturer from shipping it back home.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ