2014 TCR ADV SL vs. 2016 TCR ADV Pro frame value...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Folks,

I have been offered an absolute bargain on a TCR ADV SL 2014 which is frankly too good to pass up. I was going to wait until spring for the ADV pro 2 full build as my climbing bike, but this is such a good buy, complete bike brand new for just £900.00. 11 speed, sl0 wheels, uncut mast, never been ridden and mint as boxed though, misfiled in a bike shop warehouse gathering dust :unbelievable: :thumbup:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bi ... 969/66528/

However, can anyone pass advice on if the 2014 frame is 'old hat' ? Had its day / been superseded.

I realise Giant trimmed away some of the fat and the 2016 onwards bike is marginally lighter, but would I notice a trickle down effect taking place on newer tech ? I know the SL is higher modulous etc but thats never been a deal swinger for me. My riding buddy thinks the 'beefier' frame suits my body shape better as not a carlos sastre, more a Jan Ulriich. I do like a stiff BB and I live in perhaps the hilliest part of the UK and need something to tap out the climbing on.

Any thoughts ? The one thing actually holding me back is the bang for the buck price of the 17 SL bike complete with those lovely carbon wheels though with the saving I can get the wheels in play post winter if I went SL route.

Thanks in advance. Really appreciate any input.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lemond75

by Lemond75

I rode the 2016 Pro Advanced 1 a couple of weeks ago and was blown away by how light, stiff and responsive it was, so much so I've decided to sell one of my bikes and replace it with the 2017 Advanced Pro 2. Whilst the ride is not quite as smooth as my Colnago EPS, the frame and wheels really are much more responsive and do mute the imperfections from the road surface, much more so than my steel Condor Super Acciaio.

Whilst I've not ridden the 2014 Advanced SL you've been offered I did own the 2011 model and never really liked the way it rode or handled, selling it on after a couple of years. The ISP was a pain the arse too as I tried a variety of saddles during the period I owned it and had to mess about with spacers to make fine adjustments to seat height. £900 is a steal however so that can't be ignored, even if you end up relegating it to a training bike in the future.

The new Advanced Pro has really shown me how carbon technology has moved on over the last few years as the complete bike costs less than my EPS frame did, however the Giant is lighter, much stiffer and more responsive than the Colnago. Can you get to test ride them both before making your decision?

lw11

by lw11

In my opinion, one of the best value bikes on the market right now is the 2016 TCR Advanced Pro 0. Advanced Pro frame without ISP (which is better if/when you sell it in the future), slimmed down frame, full Dura-Ace 9000 group set and the SLR 0 carbon wheels.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Not sure if you've read the cycling tips reviews, but the guys there have ridden both the 2014 TCR advanced (non-sl) and 2016 advanced pro. The jist of the review is that the 2014 is a real 'goldilocks' bike, and the 2016 advanced pro is just a slightly racier version, giving up some of the compliance for lighter weight and stiffness.

Based on that review I wouldn't say the 2014 is old hat, perhaps just a different bike for a different rider. Some would prefer the blend of comfort, stiffness and a racy position while others want something stiff and light.

From 2nd hand evidence, a few riding buddies of mine have had the ISP (advanced SL) and non-ISP (advanced) 2014 TCR and they reckon the ISP contributes a huge deal to the ride quality, which suggests to me the TCR advanced SL from that era is a great all rounder.

So I guess if you want an out and out race bike save for the advanced pro, but as an all rounder the 2014 advanced SL will be hard to beat. Also bear in mind I've never ridden either of the bikes, just collating some 2nd hand evidence/reviews, hope it's helpful though.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Thanks all. All valid input and mirroring my thoughts exactly. I suppose the real issue is ISP though once dialled in a non issue and I would keep it for a while - long term. That said, I am migrating from Bont to Sidi in the coming week and I believe something as simple as shoe stack height can alter seat post height, but I would get it cut post new shoes purchase. Food for thought and thanks for all the advice.

There is something I love about the 14 bike. Has been one of my 'lust' bikes since I saw it back in 14' and never expected to stumble upon one and whilst I love the new TCR for the all round value, I have to admit I think it looks a little brittle / anorexic, but paradoxically, stiffer with new vs. old at play here. Ultimately, an older frame is not redundant, it just becomes a veritable bargain. And the 14 is gloss so will clean up a treat.

I did find that chap on Youtube ranting about the TCR ISP 13/14 being the stiffest bike on the planet. Durian rider was the channel if I remember correctly. Thanks again.

MoPho

by MoPho

I have a 14 SL ISP and I really love it, but I have a 17 Advanced Pro disc coming any day now. I have been wanting disc brakes for years otherwise I would totally keep the SL. I did do an extended demo on the new bike and I can somewhat agree that it is a harsher ride, but the demo wasn't set up as nice as my current bike or the new bike will be, so it is hard to tell if the difference in ride was from the frame, ISP, my better wheels and tires, seat, or that I have carbon bars/stem (vs Alum on the demo). I am building the new one up somewhat custom so I will be able to better evaluate once I get it, but I will say to my surprise I was faster on a bunch of climbs on the demo despite it being 2lbs heavier than my SL.
I agree that the older frame is better looking too. The ISP wasn't a problem for me until now that I have to sell it. Since I am on the shorter side, the cut mast may come to haunt me on resale. I don't think I would do another ISP but if you are a taller rider it would be less of an issue. There is enough adjustment with the ISP mast topper and spacers to accommodate smaller changes that you may want to make from your shoes, etc.
If you like the looks of the older bike better, go for it, you will not go wrong. And the money you save can be put towards upgrades

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

MoPho wrote:I have a 14 SL ISP and I really love it, but I have a 17 Advanced Pro disc coming any day now. I have been wanting disc brakes for years otherwise I would totally keep the SL. I did do an extended demo on the new bike and I can somewhat agree that it is a harsher ride, but the demo wasn't set up as nice as my current bike or the new bike will be, so it is hard to tell if the difference in ride was from the frame, ISP, my better wheels and tires, seat, or that I have carbon bars/stem (vs Alum on the demo). I am building the new one up somewhat custom so I will be able to better evaluate once I get it, but I will say to my surprise I was faster on a bunch of climbs on the demo despite it being 2lbs heavier than my SL.
I agree that the older frame is better looking too. The ISP wasn't a problem for me until now that I have to sell it. Since I am on the shorter side, the cut mast may come to haunt me on resale. I don't think I would do another ISP but if you are a taller rider it would be less of an issue. There is enough adjustment with the ISP mast topper and spacers to accommodate smaller changes that you may want to make from your shoes, etc.
If you like the looks of the older bike better, go for it, you will not go wrong. And the money you save can be put towards upgrades

Superb post thank
s. All noted. One thing to ask, can the 2014 SL take 25mm in the rear ? I note the brake bridge not an issue, but the gap inside the chain stay looks tight - not a deal breaker as I ride 23mm anyway but know 25mm is where its at.

Thanks again. The shop put the bike aside today and I am making a decision tomorrow. Interestingly the 17 SL1 has slipped by 7 odd weeks in the UK but never a pressing decision to buy that anyway. :smartass: :mrgreen: I am a slow climber by the way, but realise a super stiff BB and HT will help.

MoPho

by MoPho

Yes, I run 25c all the time on Reynolds Assault wheels, no issue other than the very rare occasion that a pebble gets stuck between the wheel and frame

I ride with someone who has the white/green color way and a set of aero wheels and it looks incredible

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

MoPho wrote:Yes, I run 25c all the time on Reynolds Assault wheels, no issue other than the very rare occasion that a pebble gets stuck between the wheel and frame

I ride with someone who has the white/green color way and a set of aero wheels and it looks incredible

Superb thanks again :thumbup:

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

So I bought the SL today. Yes, ebbing towards three years old, but such a beautiful frame and having offered it up to the 2017, I simply preferred the bigger tubing profiles. Stripped and ready for my rebuild which is a combo of Dura Ace and Ultegra and at the minute Mavic Ksyrium elite + finishing kit. OD2 stem of course, but Zipp SL bars. Look forward to getting the ISP cut over the coming days....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com