Problem with wheelset on two different frames

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Selmer

by Selmer

Colnago C60 with Mavic CXR 60 (with Di 2 ,11sp cassette) -----> Smooth and quiet.

Cannondale Supersix HM (2010) with Mavic CXR 60(Sram Red, 10 sp cassette) ----> Smooth but noisy ( Noise happened especially going uphill, Pretty sure the noise was from the rear wheel spokes).

I need some opinions please, appreciate it! :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fordred

by fordred

What kind of noise?

Sram Red 10's cassette is known to be noisy.

Selmer

by Selmer

fordred wrote:What kind of noise?

Sram Red 10's cassette is known to be noisy.

rythmic noise from the spokes

mbrider

by mbrider

Still most likely the cassette. just multiplied because of the carbon in the rims. A KMC chain helps to keep some of the noise down.

What size tires and psi?

Ive seen wheels / tires rub on the chainstays with these bikes. Make sure the wheel is in straight too.

Selmer

by Selmer

mbrider wrote:Still most likely the cassette. just multiplied because of the carbon in the rims. A KMC chain helps to keep some of the noise down.

What size tires and psi?

Ive seen wheels / tires rub on the chainstays with these bikes. Make sure the wheel is in straight too.

Thanks.
The tyres are originally from mavic , I believe they are 23mm. I normally run 120psi.

For 11 sp. (Colnago) I had 6800 cassette.
For 10 sp. (Cannondale) I had Sram XG 1090 cassette.

KMC chain on both bikes.

The noise can heard loud and clearly only on the Supersix if I push the pedals harder.
8)

em3

by em3

...did u include the 1.75mm Mavic spacer when u installed the SRAM 10 cassette?

Selmer

by Selmer

em3 wrote:...did u include the 1.75mm Mavic spacer when u installed the SRAM 10 cassette?

Yes, of course. :)

McGilli

by McGilli

Silly question but - using the same skewers? I have a set that gives me a spindly sound that sounds like the spokes are rubbing or clicking together especially under pressure. Regardless good luck!

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Also silly question but have you eliminated everything else on the cannondale that might make noise? Is the cannondale silent when using different wheels?

If not it could be a BB, dropout, derailleur hanger, chainring, pedal thread and so on issue. Noises tend to migrate through a frame so it might sound like it's coming from a particular area only to have travelled from somewhere else.

It's best to rule out everything it could potentially be rather than focus on what you are sure it is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com