Berk Lupina vs Romin vs Aliante

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stripes

by stripes

Does anyone have experience with these 3 saddles? I'm currently on an Aliante which I find comfortable and am considering a Lupina.

Previous saddles include a Specialized Toupe which ended up being too flat. From the pictures, the Lupina seems to have a slight dip, in which case, is it similar to the Romin (AKA allowing some degree of pelvic tilt to push back against the saddle while pedaling) or is it fairly flat?

Also, any recommendations on saddles that fit like an Aliante but are much lighter would be greatly appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I've tried the padded Lupina 132mm. A very interesting saddle - it somehow resembles Selle Italia SLR Carbonio, but is (and feels) longer. It gives in slightly in the middle, so I definitely wouldn't consider it flat. I like it.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

the BERK FTW.. though i like the non padded version as it lets the amazing carbon work shine..

ironman1

by ironman1

Have tried all 3 quite a bit. I usually prefer a saddle where I sit in one spot and has a rear upward tail to push against. I started with the "old Concor " and wore out 2 of them , then switched to the Aliante with carbon rails, thought I found the holy grail, it was similar shape and so much more comfortable, wore out 3. On a new build in 2010 just decided I wanted to try something different and tried a Romin Evo Pro in 143. Again thought I found the perfect saddle, you stay in one place, quite comfortable ( no problem on 100 mile rides ) and I enjoyed the cutout. bought another 1 for my training bike. After a few months on the saddle it seemed like when pushing hard the rear of my upper hamstring would hit the edge, not bad but at time annoying, that and they developed terrible squeaks. Specialized replaced 1 and I tried to fix the other one myself. About 2 months ago bought the Lupina 132 padded, hoping it would be as comfortable as Romin and save some weight, trying to hit 13LBS o n my VR-rIn the picture it looks like it had a little scoop. Well the scoop is minimal, not near the Romin, it is a much firmer saddle. My sit bones are still adjusting. Done 60 mile rides but sit bones are a touch sore at end. My legs do not hit the edge like on the Romin which I like, I'm sure partly due to the narrow width.

Rick

by Rick

ironman1 wrote:... then switched to the Aliante with carbon rails, thought I found the holy grail,

The older Aliante, with the slight cutout at the back, or the newer Aliante's, rounded at the back, or both ? Thanks.

ironman1

by ironman1

Had both, bought the original with ever so slight cutout in the back and the newer one.

stripes

by stripes

Thanks all!

ironman1, I'm in the same boat where I prefer a saddle with a scoop so that you can push against the rear tail. Given your experience with Lupina so far, do you feel that it has enough raise in the rear to push against? Any negatives so far?

ironman1

by ironman1

I don't feel like the scoop is deep enough to push against, not like the Romin or Aliante. Its half way between a flat saddle where you can move back and forth and a hammock where you stay put. When I'm just riding along I am right where I want to be but if I start pushing bigger gears or spinning more I find myself forward or backward on saddle without wanting to be, if that makes sense. As they say what 1 person thinks is great does not work for the next, especially with saddles. I would like to try a Romin in the narrow model but I believe 143 is the narrowest they make now or a SMP but they are a lot of cash to start experimenting with.

stripes

by stripes

Totally makes sense and just the opinion I needed, thanks! Sounds like i should find a used SLR for cheap to try before committing to a Lupina. Like you said, it's quite $$$ to experiment with these saddles.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Iron, give a narrow Power saddle a try if you can. They are a sit and stay saddle much like the Romin but shorter. Set it to 85° nose to tail and 10mm forward of where you ride your Romin.
Using Tapatalk

szazbo

by szazbo

Reviving a really old thread. Have been on carbon Aliante's with both carbon and Kium rails since I could no longer get any Turbomatic titaniums. Maybe 12 years? Have purchased all the ones that were worth purchasing on eBay over the last year or so. Now having to decide what to replace these with. Have many (9) bikes with the Aliante's. My weight is 90kg and tend to ride longer rides like 100-120 miles and 5-6k of climbing. Berks sound great as they are flexible, though confused about which width to try and whether to try the Lupina or Dila. Really appreciate any recent feedback from those that have been where I am.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com