Chainstay direct mount brake experiences?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

njyeti

by njyeti

Hi, I'm strongly considering a Felt FR1 (http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2016/Bikes/road/race/FR/FR1.aspx )as my poor weather/winter bike. I live in an area that gets rain, but not much snow. My only hesitation in moving forward with this is the rear brake mounted below the chain stays.

I've read some poor feedback on this with grit accumulation, etc. - have you found it to be that much worse than a seat stay mounted brake? Thanks, really appreciate it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Consider what gets thrown at the bottom bracket from the front wheel on a cold wet day with fine grit all over the roads. Nuff said.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

njyeti

by njyeti

Ha, good point. Can't argue that.

cobrakai

by cobrakai

Considering that the majority of braking power comes from the front brake I haven't found it to be much of an issue. But yes it will probably accumulate more junk than a at the seat stays.

Hubert

by Hubert

I live in Southern California, but have been riding an FR prototype for the last 6 months and have not had any issues with the rear brake.

Set-up is a little more time intensive but not significantly.

I imagine that if you're riding in bad weather often that you're also washing/servicing your bike more often, but a chainstay mounted brake(s) will accumulate grit and so will pads regardless of where the brake is mounted.
Turn down the suck knob.

njyeti

by njyeti

Hi Hubert- after riding the prototype for the last 6 months- what's your honest opinion of the bike? Thanks!

ms6073

by ms6073

Wife and I ride Scott Solace\Contessa Solace with behind bottom bracket direct mount brakes for the past gear. As mentioned, setup is a bit more labor intensive but I fi d there is no difference in braking action, but I do tend to clean the bike more often.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Chainstay mounted brakes were stupid on '86 vintage MTBs and haven't got any less stupid since then.

Hubert

by Hubert

njyeti wrote:Hi Hubert- after riding the prototype for the last 6 months- what's your honest opinion of the bike? Thanks!

Hello njyeti,

The FR is a truly great bike. The geometry makes you feel as if you're sitting in the bike and not on it. This connection to the bike makes the descending confidence inspiring. The objective of the FR was to optimize stiffness to weight and efficiency which translates to the sensation of propulsion, forward motion, with every pedal stroke - you don't feel like you're giving up a single watt of power. Personally, and this is subjective, I feel that it's a beautiful bike as well. Because the objective was to optimize around an engineering result and not an aesthetic one function drove form. This means that the FR lacks any cosmetic shapes, stylized tubes or purely aesthetic themes and I feel that this revolution through restraint gives an object a very clear purpose and it's this purpose built form that flows out of function that makes it beautiful in the same way a Le Mans prototype or Moto GP bike is beautiful - it's meant to deliver a result and to is defined by purpose. I love it.

Below are my FR and FR Disc prototypes on a play date in the mountains:

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Best,
Hubert
Turn down the suck knob.

njyeti

by njyeti

Hubert wrote:
njyeti wrote:Hi Hubert- after riding the prototype for the last 6 months- what's your honest opinion of the bike? Thanks!

The FR is a truly great bike. The geometry makes you feel as if you're sitting in the bike and not on it.

Best,
Hubert

Thanks, I'm definitely strongly leaning towards the FR. Have you noticed any difference in handling between the disc and rim models other than the braking?

Appreciate it!

Hubert

by Hubert

njyeti wrote:
Thanks, I'm definitely strongly leaning towards the FR. Have you noticed any difference in handling between the disc and rim models other than the braking?

Appreciate it!

You'll love it!

Nope, no handling difference b/w the two as they share the same geometry.

You could argue that there could be some differences in road feel on the disc model as the fork is reinforced to deal with the added forces of the disc brake (same with the chain stay) but I have not been able to perceive a difference personally and I believe myself to have a pretty well calibrated ass-o-meter. :)
Turn down the suck knob.

njyeti

by njyeti

Hubert wrote:
You'll love it!

Nope, no handling difference b/w the two as they share the same geometry.

You could argue that there could be some differences in road feel on the disc model as the fork is reinforced to deal with the added forces of the disc brake (same with the chain stay) but I have not been able to perceive a difference personally and I believe myself to have a pretty well calibrated ass-o-meter. :)
[/quote]

Thanks Hubert. I've been racing on a F1x di2 this cross season and just ordered a Decree FRD yesterday so really loving what Felt has building as of late.

Any idea of weight difference between the FR1 rim vs disc?

Also- my LBS is telling me Jan 7 for leadtime for the disc..which is unfortunately halfway thru winter. I just realized your role within Felt, so hopefully you can shed some light on the accuracy of this statement?

Thanks- and looking forward to my next Felt!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

If it's a poor weather training bike why not go R785/Di2? Appart from the lead time it's the better option of the two, no cable maintenance, no rims being chewed up and concistent brake feel wet or dry.

/my 2c
Using Tapatalk

njyeti

by njyeti

Nefarious86 wrote:If it's a poor weather training bike why not go R785/Di2? Appart from the lead time it's the better option of the two, no cable maintenance, no rims being chewed up and concistent brake feel wet or dry.

/my 2c

I agree- I think Disc is the way to go w/ Etap (I'm biased to Di2 but not offered with FR1 Disc). That Jan 7th timeframe is just so far away....

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Wait for a bike that will be best for purpose and aesthetically pleasing to you or rush into buying whats available now? This probably wont be a short term ownership bike will it?
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com