EPS users need advice if I should switch from chorus to EPS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bantamben

by Bantamben

Thinking of switching from chorus to EPS. Any recommendations is it a noticeabley better product or just different?
Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

You mean mechanical Chorus to Chorus EPS? Some people swear by electronic shifting. Others thing it's a solution in search of a problem. Maybe you should try and ride EPS and see for yourself?

Miller

by Miller

EPS shifting is lovely. Well set up mechanical is lovely too. Good advice above, see if you can find an EPS bike to ride.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Eps is excellent if set up properly. You will not go back to mechanical once u have used electronic

RussellS

by RussellS

Is your question, change bike from mechanical Chorus to electronic Chorus? Replace the shifting components? No, that is stupid, dumb, ignorant, etc. Both work perfect. You're changing from perfect to a little bit more perfect. For a lot of money. No.

Are you asking, should I add an electronic Chorus to my stable of bikes to join my mechanical Chorus? Yes. Electronic is fun, great, marvelous. Shifting is fun with electronic. Little more fun than mechanical, but not a huge amount.

There is a cost benefit analysis involved. Electronic is "better", I guess. But its not a "HUGE" amount better. Its maybe worth a few dollars, but not a huge amount. So it makes NO sense at all to trade a perfect mechanical bike for a perfect electronic bike. Almost zero gain for a lot of money. But if you got nothing, or are adding a bike. Then consider getting an electronic.

nlouthan

by nlouthan

I love, love, love my EPS. It was very simple to setup and "tuning" with an iPad is fun. The shifting is amazing. I don't expect I'll every buy another mechanical bike.

RyanH

by RyanH

I wrote somewhere else that electronic vs mechanical is like the difference of a high end sports car kitted with paddle shifters or a great manual transmission. IMO, paddle shifters are great, but ultimately, I find myself just using the automatic feature of them (not an option on bikes atm). Manual transmission does the same thing but has a different feel. At the end of the day, it comes down to what you prefer. The only thing that electronic really provides over mechanical is auto-trim (Di2 and maybe EPS) or on the fly adjustments (eTap).

I spent quite a while setting up Super Record (Chorus FD) and I was blown away at how good the shifting was as well as how satisfying it was to use after being on eTap for over 4 months. I'll probably run eTap on the race bike and SR on the every day bike. With a race car, it'd be the same way.

Bantamben

by Bantamben

Thanks for your thoughts I'm gonna stick with mechanical. I love manual cars love the simplicity.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I've had mechanical SR11 for a few years before they came out with EPS. The biggest difference for me was the lack of maintenance with EPS. It works every day, exactly the same. Press a button and the shift is completed. It does not matter if you are fresh on the first part of the ride or barely hanging on while the team is pressing on.

I cannot say that with mechanical. Cable drag [the lack of] is important and will effect the shift. Colder days may be different than warmer. Rainy days are different that dry. The first part of the ride may be different than the last part.

The only thing I think mechanical does better is multiple shifting. EPS is slower. Performing a front and rear shift at the same time takes a bit longer and I have not mastered the proper shift to get the right gear like I did with mechanical.

c50jim

by c50jim

I bought one of the early SR EPS groups when they first came out. Loved it initially but it didn't work the next season. Checked over by LBS (for months) and couldn't find anything wrong. Ultimately noticed that the charger plug fell out so found a new way to make sure it stayed in and rode bike once or twice a year. Finally decided as part of my inventory reduction process (senior citizen now and realized there's no way I'll ever wear out all my bikes) to sell the EPS bike. It worked great when I tried it out worked well for the buyer on his first ride, then started sending rear derailleur not working signals, Tried another rear derailleur that a friend had removed in working condition. DIdn't work either. So, now the buyer is waiting for a DA Di2 group and I'm eating a SR EPS group that cost me several thousand dollars.

Stick with mechanical in my opinion.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

It's a known issue that the early v1 power units were not very well built.

If someone is going to throw away a SR EPS groupset, mail it to me, I dispose of it properly for you. I will pay for shipping too

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com