Jagwire elite link vs jagwire elite sealed ??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

totally.. i replace the std cables with dlc or shop campag ones the black ones that come in the kit are rubbish
my recommendation is you stretch the hell put of you cables when you install them. easiest method is to start in the 11 and shift up the cassette very aggressively with out turning the cranks.. a couple of runs at this and you'll have to reset the pinch bolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wojchiech

by wojchiech

Segmented housing definitely requires a more refined break-in. Not only do you have to settle in all the stops, but also the links to each other. Using a fourth hand works wonderfully for this.

Add a couple drops of thin oil (not wax) based lube to every cable stop, set the fourth hand against the far end of the cable housing run (usually right under the barrel adjuster/anchor bolt), and give several spirited squeezes - about as hard as an emergency stop. If you watch the housing you can actually see it compress with every squeeze, and if it's a brand new set you'll hear very satisfying click sounds when the housing hits all the frame stops.

Adjusting the gears and brakes should be done before securing the housing to the handlebars. If you don't the housing won't have enough tension to keep it from squirming under the bartape. Going one shifter at a time to avoid cross chaining, shift into the gear that puts the most tension on the shift cable (big ring for left, lowest gear for right), then use a re-useable zip tie or rubber band to hold the brake closed. Secure the housing to the bars, release brake, shift back down, and repeat for other side.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

So it sound like
Elite Link for brake (since the Elite Sealed doesn't use XEX-SL cable)
pair with
Elite Sealed for shifting (since Elite Link's shifting use same housing segment size as braking and it is overkill while Elite Sealed use XEX-SL which weight less than Elite Sealed for brake)

is an optimal choice?

ArtV

by ArtV

Hexsense wrote:So it sound like
Elite Link for brake (since the Elite Sealed doesn't use XEX-SL cable)
pair with
Elite Sealed for shifting (since Elite Link's shifting use same housing segment size as braking and it is overkill while Elite Sealed use XEX-SL which weight less than Elite Sealed for brake)

is an optimal choice?

Wouldn't the Pro kit be the choice for shifting? It is listed as 50% lighter.

Of course the links allow for tighter bends and therefore less cable overall. At least I presume that is the case.

Either way, I think mixing link cables with non link cables would look funky but that is your call.

ArtV