Jagwire elite link vs jagwire elite sealed ??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Allen254

by Allen254

what is the difference, is one for road and one for another ?? is one heavier than the other ??

what do you guys think about jagwire pro cable kit any good? is it much heavier than the elites??

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Havent tried any Jagwire elite, I have studied them though....

Elite link is unlike regular cable in that it uses aluminum links. Inside runs a clear liner tube for the actual wire.

The weight is around 30g/m (24link,6liner) which jagwire writes as 50% lighter than "conventional housing". It is half the weight of their cheaper CGX-SL housing at 61g (supplied with road standard kit is it?)

The elite sealed one does look like a conventional cable housing but is not as light. I think they specify 30% lighter which puts it at around 42g/m extrapolated.

For shifting housing the difference in weight is a lot smaller. Because regular shifting housing like Jagwire LEX-SL is already pretty light at 33g/m. They can't do as much there and at most offer 20% lighter. What the baseline is here I have no idea.

I ended up buying noname aluminum stranded cables that are 20/26 g/m (shift/brake). Work fine and are undistinguishable from classic cables by the look. Some might argue they don't work as well but I had jagwire cgx/lex previously and can't notice the difference really. They were just 2$ per meter too, best bang for the buck.

Note that jagwire elite links can only be purchssed in a kit where each bike needs two kits. Other jagwire products are usually available as complete kits or sold individually at length demand.

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Allen254

by Allen254

alcatraz wrote:Havent tried any Jagwire elite, I have studied them though....

Elite link is unlike regular cable in that it uses aluminum links. Inside runs a clear liner tube for the actual wire.

The weight is around 30g/m (24link,6liner) which jagwire writes as 50% lighter than "conventional housing". It is half the weight of their cheaper CGX-SL housing at 61g (supplied with road standard kit is it?)

The elite sealed one does look like a conventional cable housing but is not as light. I think they specify 30% lighter which puts it at around 42g/m extrapolated.

For shifting housing the difference in weight is a lot smaller. Because regular shifting housing like Jagwire LEX-SL is already pretty light at 33g/m. They can't do as much there and at most offer 20% lighter. What the baseline is here I have no idea.

I ended up buying noname aluminum stranded cables that are 20/26 g/m (shift/brake). Work fine and are undistinguishable from classic cables by the look. Some might argue they don't work as well but I had jagwire cgx/lex previously and can't notice the difference really. They were just 2$ per meter too, best bang for the buck.

Note that jagwire elite links can only be purchssed in a kit where each bike needs two kits. Other jagwire products are usually available as complete kits or sold individually at length demand.

/a
yeah i just noticed they are sold separately and making it more expensive to lol

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

I would assume the sealed is for offroad or where contamination is a concern.

I have Elite Link on my bike and the brake feel is much firmer.

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

I have the elite because of the the blue "color" option. :thumbup:
I've had mine for a couple of weeks now. Still needs to be installed on my other bike. Hopefully I get can get to it soon.

thedonnydino

by thedonnydino

Just wondering whether anybody with the Jagwire Elite Links have an issue with the RD losing tension gradually over time? I've had to pull the RD wire through after barrel adjustment to introduce more wire tension and it's needing barrel adjustment again.

There appears to be either constant stretch of the wire, or compression of the links.

I ride approximately 300 kilometres a week, and use the RD quite a bit (stop start traffic and up and down topography).

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I wouldn't use the Std cables they are totally crap

CAAD997

by CAAD997

Allen254 wrote:what is the difference, is one for road and one for another ?? is one heavier than the other ??

what do you guys think about jagwire pro cable kit any good? is it much heavier than the elites??

Elite Link and Elite Sealed should be available for both Road and Mountain bikes and the Elite Sealed is, well, sealed to keep out the gunk.

I bought the Elite Link for the first time earlier this year for a road bike. I like their flexibility and looks:

* Flexible - literally since they bend so well
* Flexible - since changing the length is so easy. Changing the housing length is easy, but you still do have to be careful with cutting the cable length. I prefer to cut the cable long, ride it a few times, adjust as necessary, and then make a final cut.

I could probably remove a few links on two of the runs since they are so bendable. I made them a little long on purpose just to try out as previously mentioned. I have not had to adjust the tension like another poster mentioned.

I ride about 200 miles per month for pleasure, so take it for what it is worth.
Two wheelers rock!

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

thedonnydino wrote:Just wondering whether anybody with the Jagwire Elite Links have an issue with the RD losing tension gradually over time?

Sorry... eTap.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

thedonnydino wrote:Just wondering whether anybody with the Jagwire Elite Links have an issue with the RD losing tension gradually over time? I've had to pull the RD wire through after barrel adjustment to introduce more wire tension and it's needing barrel adjustment again.

Opportunistic bragging aside, no, not after the first ride once the links have settled and even then just a quarter turn at most. There's something else going on with your setup.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

thedonnydino wrote:Just wondering whether anybody with the Jagwire Elite Links have an issue with the RD losing tension gradually over time? I've had to pull the RD wire through after barrel adjustment to introduce more wire tension and it's needing barrel adjustment again.

There appears to be either constant stretch of the wire, or compression of the links.

I ride approximately 300 kilometres a week, and use the RD quite a bit (stop start traffic and up and down topography).

Have you checked the liner lenght with the chosen number of alu bits?
Is it something that is not lining up?

I have Elite on my bike and i have no tension loss at all.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Pan

by Pan

Elite Sealed "XEX Shift Housing" advertises 30% lighter than traditional housing.
Elite Link advertise 20% lighter than traditional housing.

The Elite Sealed Brake housing does not use the XEX technology and uses polymer coated cables. They don't advertise how much lighter this is ...
2017 Pinarello F8 Dura Ace 9100 @ 7.5kg
2013 Bianchi Infinito 105 @ 8.2kg
1982 Colnago Super Single Speed @ 8.6kg

2lo8

by 2lo8

Anyone have the weights in grams for KEB-SL and XEX-SL per meter compared to the normal stuff?
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Sounds like cable stretch what cables?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thedonnydino

by thedonnydino

sugarkane wrote:Sounds like cable stretch what cables?

They actually ended up settling in after a bit of initial stretching and I've had months of fuss free shifting and they feel so much more amazing than the shimano cables.

The jagwire's replaced alligator cables that lived on my bike for all of one month. They were horrendous. Constantly adjusting, and then the finish started to chip!