Praxis pf30 weight? Is there pf30 that's light but not to expensive?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Allen254

by Allen254

So I'm wondering if anyone knows how much the praxis pf30 BB weighs,can't seem to find a weight for the Shimano version?? Praxis pf30 is around $75 which is fair for me.

Also do you guys know of a good, cheap, but light PF30 that's good? Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I would argue that much more important than the actual PF30 bottom bracket you choose, is the installation. Make sure the cups are aligned (threaded halves such as Praxis take care of this as well). Use Loctite 609 retaining compound and Loctite 7649 primer. Use a proper press.
If someone wants to just install it using a bit of grease, you are asking for problems. Preventing, not facilitating movement between the BB and the Frame shell is what you're trying to achieve. I have had success with any PF30 BB I've installed, including FSA PF30cups, SRAM cups, Praxis, Wheels Manufacturing, and Chris King. They have all held up fine to this day without a single failure. Prior to that, they were constantly in and out of the shop trying to get rid of the creaks etc., which always seemed to return.
Get the installation right, and you should be good. Not trying to say that PF30 is great... on the contrary.. compared to a nice threaded BB I hate it, but it's what the industry stuck us with.
Sorry for the rambling... but when I see someone thinking that simply purchasing a quality PF30 BB will solve their problems, I have to stress that's just the first step, and the easiest one.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

springs

by springs

My scale says 145 g.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Sram pf30 seems to be the lightest and maybe the cheapest but it doesn't seem to get good reviews. So I went for F1 ceramic

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

My Praxis PF30 Sram adapter weighs 156g. Probably the most heavy adapter out there but for sure the most reliable. For those who are unfamiliar with the Praxis adapters they use a collet design to ensure the BB will stay put for the life of the frame. The extra weight actually comes from the oversized bearings and not from the collet. The large bearings are smooth and provide a solid support for the crank axle. I'm a happy customer here.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Not that it matters, PF30 Campagnolo OSBB version is 95g, complete with the plastic sleeves [without the included wavy washer].
Last edited by Butcher on Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allen254

by Allen254

pdlpsher1 wrote:My Praxis PF30 Sram adapter weighs 156g. Probably the most heavy adapter out there but for sure the most reliable. For those who are unfamiliar with the Praxis adapters they use a collet design to ensure the BB will stay put for the life of the frame. The extra weight actually comes from the oversized bearings and not from the collet. The large bearings are smooth and provide a solid support for the crank axle. I'm a happy customer here.

im ordering a praxis pf30 shimano tomarow it seems like a very soild BB i hope i can get fast lol. is yours s ceramic version or just the regular BB? .

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have the steel bearings. Do they make a ceramic one?

They have an excellent video tutorial on the installation procedure.

The BB is very solid. There's no chance the BB could move or 'walk out' of alignment.

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Hi, add 20g to Praxis adapter for the plastic sleeve. Overall it is a big chunk of weight but bombproof and easy to install/remove. Alan

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

On mine there's no plastic sleeve. The entire unit is machined aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

SRAM make the best one, in my opinion.

It is light, not too expensive and lasts forever, if properly installed and you don't wash your bike with running water.

Ceramic BB; lol, why?

alanmclean

by alanmclean

pdlpsher1 wrote:On mine there's no plastic sleeve. The entire unit is machined aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the bb is alloy but the supplied sleeve is needed for pf30 conversion as in op.

Regards
Alan

motorthings

by motorthings

TheDarkInstall wrote:SRAM make the best one, in my opinion.

It is light, not too expensive and lasts forever, if properly installed and you don't wash your bike with running water.

Ceramic BB; lol, why?

My first and only SRAM PF30 BB lasted 2k miles before starting to talk, while the Chris King BB that replaced it is going on 10k without any issues. The SRAM came installed from cannondale, so i'd hope it was not an installation issue.

I agree on the ceramic BB not being worth the $$, but my experience is only with the cdale ceramic bearings for BB30 that i replaced under warranty 5 times (each set lasting less than 1k miles) before getting crunchy.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Maybe ceramic BB does not work for you guys, but my Campy SR version surpassed the Energizer Bunny a few years ago.

nickf

by nickf

Hawk racing PF30 all in is 91g. With the new style sram crank you dont need the shims or wavy washer so it will be sub 90g. Bulletproof BB.

http://www.hawk-racing.com/products/show/17

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com