New Specialized Headshok (Roubaix)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

Specialized Presents "Trolling the internet : The Unslammable Stem"

maquisard

by maquisard

Yeah, not quite sure how I feel about it or suspension on road bikes.

Road bike suspension is slightly different than MTB suspension. In the case of MTB susp. the fork has to handle significant changes in road surface, these will be step changes of quite a low frequency response. On the road, the fork susp. is trying to mitigate against smaller surface undulations and defects, but those occuring at a higher frequency. The issue being, the dynamics of a suspension fork, or steerer, doesn't really have a high frequency response. So a suspension fork or steerer is good when you go off a small drop or hit an edge, but it won't help much with the high frequency buzz from rippled concrete. At the end of the day tire choice and tire pressure are always going to be the deciding factors in mitigating against high frequency road buzz.

As for the tool box, good idea, but it is going to rattle. No one likes rattles!

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I hope you can lock that steerer suspension out! Otherwise no more wins on the 'sprint for the village sign' race....

REALLY not sure about that toolbox...would make a good croissant holder though.

Also that rider has VERY hairy legs.

peted76

by peted76

It's interesting, echo would love to have a ride on one.

Be interesting to see if it makes a difference next classics season, if you believe the hype anyone riding one of these will have a better chance of a win riding one of these... (apart from Mathew Hayman, who's frankly epic 2016 win will disappear into the history books by bike manufacturers as an anomaly).

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Maybe it works just fine but its profile looks like a quill stem on a thoroughly modern comfy carbon frame.

Bogan

by Bogan

I have a vague memory of something similar to this front suspension setup back in the '90's. Anybody care to chime in?
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

Broady

by Broady

DartanianX

by DartanianX

When I took the one we built for a spin around the store tonight, it was surprisingly solid when out of the saddle. Not a full out sprint, but will report more back tomorrow morning.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Also, built a Sequoia, was thinking of running a Roubaix as my gravel bike, definitely sticking with the Sequoia now.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

Toolbox is class, maybe even more aero. I just think the headset is a bit goofy looking. Shame, otherwise I do like the experimentation. I'm sure the ride is great too.

As goofy as I think the front end looks - out of all the most recent bikes I've seen for 2017 - this is the one I'd love a go on the most! :lol:

maquisard

by maquisard

One of the first Peter Denk designed Specialized since he left Cannondale?

trimenc

by trimenc

Not a big fan of the tool box, just more weight :D

Ritxis

by Ritxis

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CamW

by CamW

cyclespeed wrote:I hope you can lock that steerer suspension out! Otherwise no more wins on the 'sprint for the village sign' race....

Nope. Supposedly that would have added too much weight for not enough gains. :noidea: