New Specialized Headshok (Roubaix)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

willmac

by willmac

Just remember Matty Hayman won P-R last year on an aero Scott frame. there's a long way between that and this thing. Still trying to figure out if people really want this type of stuff of its a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Agreed, the manufacturers are really taking a "Build it and they will come" approach... (we hope with fingers crossed).
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Calnago wrote:I think comparing the Specialized to Trek's equivalent offerings is totally fair game in this thread. And let's face it, aesthetics is always a part of the decision. I happen to share @DavidMLee's view on the aesthetics of the two. I also prefer Trek's offerings as to their approach to suspension. The isospeed technology really works, although I'm not sure they needed to go to that "adjustable" system. While that funky seatpost on the Specialized is just god awful ugly and I don't really care if it does work. And the rubber boot up front... well... versus the internal pivoting design that Trek has taken on their latest Domanes... not sure which is better.... I suspect Specialized's approach has more "travel", versus Trek's approach has more "flex". But whether it's front or rear that we're talking about, Trek has certainly thought about the aesthetics more than Specialized seems to have. At least to my eye.

Wait, are you saying that someone could earn credibility for posting personal point of view about aesthetics that are completely useless? Let's call something ugly and call it a day without describing any details that don't please your eyes!

I'm not saying that I'm a big fan of new Roubaix, specifically what the did geometry (e.g., low headtube and 15mm rise handlebars). I take longer than 5 seconds to express my view on relevant threads rather than calling "ugly" and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It's got nothing to do with building credibility. He was just expressing his view, and a subjective one at that. That's all. I don't think he really needs to "describe in detail" what's ugly about it. The picture is out there for all to see.
Of course, if it's one of those random posters just trying to build post count then that's a totally different thing.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Calnago wrote:It's got nothing to do with building credibility. He was just expressing his view, and a subjective one at that. That's all. I don't think he really needs to "describe in detail" what's ugly about it. The picture is out there for all to see.
Of course, if it's one of those random posters just trying to build post count then that's a totally different thing.

Of course it's one of those random posters that is trying to build post count. It's very easy to spot those with abbreviated, pointless replies, just by looking at user history. Spammers!

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

euan

by euan

He is hardly randomly commenting. This thread is about the Headshok and by extension the Roubaix itself.

I would have to ride one properly comment but I would be concerned about dive under braking and specifically the drop increasing. It's definitely different from fork dive where are least your bars stay in the same place relative to your body.

So far the Cyclingtips article seems the most balance but it still comes across as Emperor's new clothes.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

mpulsiv wrote:
Calnago wrote:It's got nothing to do with building credibility. He was just expressing his view, and a subjective one at that. That's all. I don't think he really needs to "describe in detail" what's ugly about it. The picture is out there for all to see.

Of course it's one of those random posters that is trying to build post count. It's very easy to spot those with abbreviated, pointless replies, just by looking at user history. Spammers!

Ok, I went back and quickly looked at some of his previous posts... and yes, a lot are kind of short with nothing to add. But sometimes it looks like he's trying as well. I kind of assumed that with over 100 posts, then there's no incentive to be posting randomly like we see a lot of here. Nonetheless, I thought his post, brief as it was in this case, was relevant and thought you were a bit harsh on jumping on him right away. But yes, now I can understand where you were coming from. It's an international forum and for many English is not their native language and that plays into it a bit too.

JensW

by JensW

like 20 year after

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

euan wrote:I would have to ride one properly comment but I would be concerned about dive under braking and specifically the drop increasing. It's definitely different from fork dive where are least your bars stay in the same place relative to your body.

So far the Cyclingtips article seems the most balance but it still comes across as Emperor's new clothes.

That's a good point re. dive under braking. Not a pleasant thought, when you're stuffing it hard into a tight 10% Alpine bend.....

But then I am not on Spesh's intended customer list, and I'll be sticking with my Sworks SL5!

rpowell

by rpowell

i laughed when i saw that the cannondale has a lockout.

Dez33

by Dez33

mpulsiv wrote:
DavidMLee wrote:Spesh's new bikes.. Vias and roubaix look ugly.
Trek's Madone and Domane look better to me.

This thread is about cartridge suspension and innovation of new Roubaix not about what looks ugly to you.

If you make a purchase decision based on looks of the bike then power to you! If you have nothing intelligent to contribute then don't say anything.

His opinion is valid, it's not all cheer leading when a new bike or product gets released. The bike looks like a dog and I wouldn't exactly call the suspension innovation. It's all been done before.

Looks like a big marketing gimmick to me. And calling a big BS on the frame weight as well.

Bogan

by Bogan

The Cannondale is what I remember vaguely from back in the nineties.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Dez33 wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:

This thread is about cartridge suspension and innovation of new Roubaix not about what looks ugly to you.

If you make a purchase decision based on looks of the bike then power to you! If you have nothing intelligent to contribute then don't say anything.

His opinion is valid, it's not all cheer leading when a new bike or product gets released. The bike looks like a dog and I wouldn't exactly call the suspension innovation. It's all been done before.

Looks like a big marketing gimmick to me. And calling a big BS on the frame weight as well.

Wow, really?! Someone say "ugly" and all of a sudden, it's a valid? Based on what? Maybe you should call people like this a genius?! At this rate, we will reach human extinction in ~ 50 years.

Again, I don't agree that Roubaix is a beautiful bike. As a matter of fact, I'm a bit disappointed.

Sound like you were born yesterday because every bike manufacturer lure potential buyers with marketing B.S.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

mpulsiv wrote:Wow, really?! Someone say "ugly" and all of a sudden, it's a valid? Based on what? Maybe you should call people like this a genius?! At this rate, we will reach human extinction in ~ 50 years.

Based on its looks, it's ugly. Doesn't get much clearer than that. Of course, one man's ugly is another man's pretty. Sheesh... you'd think it was your sister or something.

Dez33

by Dez33

mpulsiv wrote:
Dez33 wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:

Wow, really?! Someone say "ugly" and all of a sudden, it's a valid? Based on what? Maybe you should call people like this a genius?! At this rate, we will reach human extinction in ~ 50 years.

Again, I don't agree that Roubaix is a beautiful bike. As a matter of fact, I'm a bit disappointed.

Sound like you were born yesterday because every bike manufacturer lure potential buyers with marketing B.S.

Of course an opinion about looks is valid, it's subjective and that works both ways. If someone likes it then that is their opinion and they are welcome to it, it's not wrong for them. But, I think it's a dog, so does the other guy (in different words).

There is marketing spin and fluff, then there is BS. This is BS. Probably hard to see that being a big S fanboi though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com