New Specialized Headshok (Roubaix)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Personally I have absolutely no desire to ever ride the Paris-Roubaix or equivalent. I can't think of anything worse than spending hours being bashed about by bumps. Not what I signed up to road biking for!

sawyer

by sawyer

cyclespeed wrote:Personally I have absolutely no desire to ever ride the Paris-Roubaix or equivalent. I can't think of anything worse than spending hours being bashed about by bumps. Not what I signed up to road biking for!

LOL ... I might do it one day, not least for the fun of adapting the bike

But the whole idea of a more complicated, heavier, more expensive bike, just in case one rides cobbles is utterly farcical

A cross bike / mountain bike and a normal road bike makes far more sense
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yinya

by yinya

Rode P-R on 28s at about 80 psi. Took 3 months for my right wrist to recover...wouldn't buy a new bike, but would take definitely something extra to smoothen things out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sawyer

by sawyer

yinya wrote:Rode P-R on 28s at about 80 psi. Took 3 months for my right wrist to recover...wouldn't buy a new bike, but would take definitely something extra to smoothen things out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch! Or just not do it again?

Tomstr

by Tomstr

yinya wrote:Rode P-R on 28s at about 80 psi. Took 3 months for my right wrist to recover...wouldn't buy a new bike, but would take definitely something extra to smoothen things out

A 28mm on ERTRO 13c or 19c rim makes a real difference. 5.5 bar is a lot by the way, even leaving the way you sit on the bike out of the situation. :)
Ride it like you stole it

CBJ

by CBJ

Or even better some 30c and 50-60psi. I have ridden 4 Season 28c with that amount of air on the rough streets of NYC without a problem. A 30c tire would be amazing but I have of course not ridden the PR course.

Steph26ne

by Steph26ne

Rode P-R Challenge (longest), GW, Omloop, RvV (all Flanders Classics -longest) with my Synapse HM ... I like cobbles and you really need a dedicated bike if you want to perform and keep care of your body. So this new Roubaix could be a good tool :wink: Need to test it before any conclusion, but my C'dale does already the job ... Not conviced that it's an all-round bike too :P

PhilippCX

by PhilippCX

maquisard wrote:
DartanianX wrote:It makes perfect sense for suspension on a road bike.

No it doesn't, not to anyone who [...] understands the frequency response of systems. :smartass:

This plus a million. It's the 101 of NHV and vehicle dynamics...

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Tom-B wrote:If you achin' on the bike I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but cobbles ain't one
Ride it like you stole it

kgt

by kgt

IMHO the placement of the suspension above the headtube is simply wrong. Handlebars constantly moving up and down makes handling feel insecure to say the least. I doubt the guys at Specialized did any serious research on the ergonomics. It just looks 'new' and 'innovative' and it will probably sell though.

sawyer

by sawyer

Steph26ne wrote:Rode P-R Challenge (longest), GW, Omloop, RvV (all Flanders Classics -longest) with my Synapse HM ... I like cobbles and you really need a dedicated bike if you want to perform and keep care of your body. So this new Roubaix could be a good tool :wink: Need to test it before any conclusion, but my C'dale does already the job ... Not conviced that it's an all-round bike too :P

Really? Strange then that most people do these events just fine without a dedicated bike but with a few mods

JensW

by JensW

rpowell wrote:i laughed when i saw that the cannondale has a lockout.

you have to remember this was 20 years ago, suspension forks wasn't what they are today :D I had one, and i can say, when lockout was on, you could feal everything from the road, and i mean everything.

Steph26ne

by Steph26ne

sawyer wrote:
Steph26ne wrote:Rode P-R Challenge (longest), GW, Omloop, RvV (all Flanders Classics -longest) with my Synapse HM ... I like cobbles and you really need a dedicated bike if you want to perform and keep care of your body. So this new Roubaix could be a good tool :wink: Need to test it before any conclusion, but my C'dale does already the job ... Not conviced that it's an all-round bike too :P

Really? Strange then that most people do these events just fine without a dedicated bike but with a few mods

Sure you coud do it with a few mods, but I never see a Venge on cobbles but a folding bike on the Tourmalet well :lol:
I'm just saying that most people use already endurance bike for this kind of race/use what Roubaix is ...
Believe it or not, I m'better on my Synapse on Flanders Classics road than with my BMC Teammachine ... but I prefer my BMC for Ardennes Classics/mountain stages.

sawyer

by sawyer

Steph26ne wrote:
sawyer wrote:

Sure you coud do it with a few mods, but I never see a Venge on cobbles but a folding bike on the Tourmalet well :lol:
I'm just saying that most people use already endurance bike for this kind of race/use what Roubaix is ...
Believe it or not, I m'better on my Synapse on Flanders Classics road than with my BMC Teammachine ... but I prefer my BMC for Ardennes Classics/mountain stages.

But most roadies have a road bike they can fit wider tyres to. So what's the problem?

Having another bike for the very occaisional time when it might be better seems daft to me. Too much under utilisation

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

kgt wrote: Handlebars constantly moving up and down makes handling feel insecure to say the least.

What's the difference between the fork moving up and down vs the handle bars. Either way, they both would feel different compared to a bike with no suspension. I suspect the body would not notice a huge difference between the two [fork vs handlebar].

I suspect we will see soon if the pro's accept this or not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com