Best light weight brakes for under $300

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

roca rule

by roca rule

I used to have some trp's some years back I believe the model was 920sl I don't remember the weight but they were considerable lighter than dura ace and perform very well for myself back then when I used to be 135lbs, then I got the cb1 which were about 175 grams more or less. The only thing I can say is thank God I had already a couple of years riding under my belt as they are not for the beginner. You have to learn not to rely on your brakes. The planet x brakes are no dura ace, but aren't as bad as the cb1's.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Flapmeat

by Flapmeat

I have used Planet X brakes and I currently use KCNC CB1s. Not sure why there is so much hate for the CB1s, they're well within your budget (I got mine for 190 new) and dual pivot which is way nicer and easier to set up. I have plenty of power at the end of the short descents we have around here (I am a bit daring with descents and try not to use brakes until I need to grab them hard to stop).

Miller

by Miller

I have a pair of the TRP 970SL Magnesium brakes which are pretty light. They're dual pivot and stiff and feel about the same as any other groupset DP brake, no need to be a beginner to use them! Think they are discontinued now. Price new is/was stupid high but a clean pair used at a sensible price would be a good buy, I got mine off this forum and well inside the OP's budget. Only usability downside is that the QR arrangement is basic. I've had them a few years now and they have held their looks.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

ee brakes are not $300 though. KCNC brake are not that great. I have had the CB1's and they were poor. I have anodised a set of CB7's in purple and are great because they are purple. Braking still is rubbish but since the brakes are on a hill climb bike well it does not matter. I could actually take them off I suppose.

Miche supertype brakes are 280ish grams and SRAM RED are a similar weight. DA 9000 and campagnolo SR brakes are all excellent and for 60g I would rather have the knowledge I will stop rather than the brown shorts moment when I realise I might not (that has happened nearly with KCNC brakes).

metalplease

by metalplease

I do like the PlanetX CNC brakes, @ 235g per set, but can understand how more powerful riders would doubt them. They are a joy when I'm pootling round - & they're fairly cheap (around £90 UK monies :) on the bay, as discontinued by the UK site).

stockae92

by stockae92

BugsBunny7788 wrote:Don't go for light weight. I had Red22 and switched to DURA9000 calipers for the greater power and modulation. Safety first.

Yep :beerchug:

If you never ride mountain or climb, which involves coming back down in a hurry, or doesn't ride with traffic which slowing down in a hurry will save you from a fall or two, then I guess getting cheap(er) light weight brakes that doesn't work as well may be fine. or you are building a hill climb machine which stopping is only at the top of the hill. but otherwise, i would sure taking stopping ASAP instead saving 200g. but hey, not my bike.

I have SRAM Force and I think they are budget brakes that's light and keep the weight in the wallet. I think they are cheaper than Ultegra by more than a few grams. :D

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

My TRP960's are set and forget and my shop told me they are were as good as Dura ace but lighter. They stop on a dime with SwissStop BXP pads in complete downpours.....The only downside would be availability but the TRP R879's are available.... https://www.amazon.com/TRP-R879-Caliper ... trp+brakes

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Used ee's probably the best option, but the calipers from Far & Near got good reviews from Fairwheel Bikes in their test. Those are listed at $290. Colors available.

JoeFlan

by JoeFlan

I've been using planet x brakes for a couple years now and like them a lot. They definitely do not have the same bite as new shimano brakes (5800, 6800, 9000). But they have plenty of power to slow you down, if installed correctly. My set with all the bolts and brake pads were sub 200g.
Current Steed
Supersix Evo 6.25kg
CAAD10 6.8kg
Giant TCR SLR 6.8kg
Past Lovers
Focus Izalco Pro
Cervelo S1

Marin

by Marin

While ee brakes are nice (if you like their looks), their $ to weight saved ratio is hard to justify on all but the most expensive builds, and for some reason these never seem to be particularly lightweight, at least the ones I see riding around.

I've got a set on Ciamillo Zero Gs on my light bike and they provide adequate stopping for me. 167g including pads.

brumbar

by brumbar

Hi,
Is any one have experience how PX brakes perform with newer style wider rims?
Thanks

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I'm on direct mount brake mounting frame so i only know about direct mount version.
But EE brake direct mount (76grams,260$ each) require more force and feel less powerful compare to Bontrager speed stop (119grams,179$ each).
Both accept 28mm tire (25c on wide rim) and 27mm rim width perfectly (seems like EE has more room to go wider)
Unlike Shimano 9010 direct mount which doesn't open wide enough for rim this wide without using very thin brake pad.
That's all i can contribute to this thread. :beerchug: