Best light weight brakes for under $300

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sooperlite

by Sooperlite

I've been doing some research on new calipers for my bike and came across two that seem to be good values, and decent reviews. I wanted to see if there are any other choices I should be aware of.

I've been considering the following two.

KCNC CB9 220g for $170
Planet X 198g for $160

Appreciate any input.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Being someone who has owned KCNC brakes, spend the extra money and buy ee brakes. You'll be glad you did.

Sooperlite

by Sooperlite

ProfessorChaos wrote:Being someone who has owned KCNC brakes, spend the extra money and buy ee brakes. You'll be glad you did.

I was looking at those, however I want to stay under $300, not twice that amount :D

Which KCNC did you use? Obviously the first generation were not the best. I'd love to see Fairwheel have tests on the newer versions.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Sooperlite wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:Being someone who has owned KCNC brakes, spend the extra money and buy ee brakes. You'll be glad you did.

I was looking at those, however I want to stay under $300, not twice that amount :D

Which KCNC did you use? Obviously the first generation were not the best. I'd love to see Fairwheel have tests on the newer versions.

I had both the CB1, and the C7's. The problem I had was the guide pin on the C7's would get gummed up from time to time. The braking power was okay, but the ee brakes are next level. I can't recommend them enough. I know how you want to watch your budget, but the ee's are worth every penny. Maybe they will come down in price since Cane Creek purchased them.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I got the trp970's for under $200 used. Came in at 215g with pads. Seem to brake every bit as good as the ultegra they replaced.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Hi

I have some used (but good condition) EE brakes, latest version (I think) you could have for USD299 including world wide freight and Paypal fees.

Cheers
GJ

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

That is a hella good deal above. If I had another rim brake bike in need, I would buy them. Swoop those up OP, you won't be disappointed.

Sooperlite

by Sooperlite

Gearjunkie wrote:Hi

I have some used (but good condition) EE brakes, latest version (I think) you could have for USD299 including world wide freight and Paypal fees.

Cheers
GJ

Shoot me a message please! You don't have any contact info listed.

Thanks

Sooperlite

by Sooperlite

Gearjunkie wrote:Hi

Cheers
GJ

Just emailed you at the address you pmd me. The site won't let me pm just yet...

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

Don't go for light weight. I had Red22 and switched to DURA9000 calipers for the greater power and modulation. Safety first.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

BugsBunny7788 wrote:Don't go for light weight. I had Red22 and switched to DURA9000 calipers for the greater power and modulation. Safety first.

Safety first. Isn't that a different forum? :lol:

/a

xena
Banned

by xena

I had Cb1 and planet x. Planet x I thought was a wee bit better. The KCNC''s are a pain to clean [ dismantle completely] Dura ace 7800 were the best brakes I have ever used/had. I have Ax Lightness orions on both my bikes. You certainly lose performance for weight with these brakes. THM would be my preferred WW choice but they are bonkers expensive where as the AX brakes [ which are lighter] you can pick up for half the cost on Ebay etc.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

lewolive

by lewolive

BugsBunny7788 wrote:Don't go for light weight. I had Red22 and switched to DURA9000 calipers for the greater power and modulation. Safety first.

The modulation of the Red is a little bit reduced compared with Dura Ace, but considering that brakes should be checked regularly, and considering that Sram Red have different features that must be understood by the rider, we cannot say that riding Sram Red would not be safe. I haven't red any study on the stopping distance showing that this distance would be longer with Sram Red than Dura Ace.
Most of the brakes of the market, including light brakes, that are properly mounted with recommended pads, have a limit with the power transfer of the tire, and the rim that is heating.
Major brands like Shimano, are no longer communicating on the weight of components, except probably Sram. At the end, complete bikes for 2017 will cost $8000 and have now as heavy as 8kg with disc brakes. Will these bikes be faster than classic 6,5kg light bikes that you can buy for just $5000 ?

However, this is true that brakes are static, and the watts saved will be reduced compared with weight saved on the rim. But it makes sense to try to save 150g on this part as long as your are ready to accept that if you buy something else than Shimano, you need to understand first how they work and that you need to clean your brakes/rims regularly for a perfect maintenance.

xena
Banned

by xena

And in the case of Orions start breaking about 200yrds earlier :D
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

The ee brakes are on par with anything I've ever used power, and modulation wise.