2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo Nano build: help me get the weight down

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MadScientist

by MadScientist

Hi All,

Been using this bike since Spring last year, and have slowly changed a few things, but I really want to get it below 6kg ready to roll without going crazy. I have nothing "boutique" on this bike, and want to keep it that way, mainly from a cost perspective. Need to lose 177g.....where to start?? Don't want to make any large scale changes, so this is really about tuning what I have now....

Cannondale Supersix Evo Nano Black Inc.

Frameset: 2014 58cm Evo Nano frame and fork inc. mech hanger, cage bolts, seat clamp, ceramic BB and headset 1235g
Crankset: Cannondale hollowgram SIS2 490g
Shifters: DA9000 370g
Rear mech: DA9000 162g
Front mech: DA9000 66g
Cassette: Dura Ace 11-28 197g
Cables: Dura Ace 9000 175g
Chain: KMC X11-SL Gold 240g
Bar: Deda superlegerro 189g
Stem: Deda superlegerro 110g
Seatpost: Deda superlegerro trimmed 161g
Brakes: DA9000 299g
Saddle: San Marco Aspide Carbon FX 125g
Bar tape: Deda Traforato 30g
Bottle cages: Bontrager XXXL 30g
Pedals: Speedplay modified with ti axles, butterflys and screws 150g
Wheelset: Mavic Cosmic Carbon SL 1550g
Tyres: Michelin pro 4 comp 23mm (360g pair)/ Continental race light tubes (150g pair) 510g
QR’s: Planet X carbon/titanium 43g
Garmin mount: Kedge 31g
Chain catcher: Kedge 14g

TOTAL 6177g
TOTAL minus cages, Garmin mount and pedals 5966g

Can I do this without any huge purchases? Where are the marginal gains I haven't thought of??

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

A big gain would be the wheels. You could save 400 to 500g on a really light tubular wheelset that would send it down quite a bit south of 6kg. The downside is it will cost quite bit. The rest of the build looks in the ballpark for a very light build.

Delorre

by Delorre

An Extralite expander instead of the Cannondale stock boat anchor, TI bolts, other pad holders, Tune QR's (30 gr/ pair), lighter seat clamp, Stans or 3M rim tape. All small things, but things add up.

MadScientist

by MadScientist

I hear you on the wheels, but I am aiming to do it with these clinchers. I do have another alloy wheelset that saves 80g, and could fit Pro 4 comp limited tyres and supersonic tubes for an additional 80g, but that's not the challenge here!
I thought about changing the rim tapes, as I the stock ones are quite heavy, but I was concerned for warranty issues.

The top cap and expander in at the moment is a Cannondale hi mod item which weighs 16g, so not much to go there.

Lighter skewers are a good call, and I will look into them. I had looked at Tune Skyline but have since had some concerns on durability. This thing does a few thousand miles a year, and the roads here are rough.

cedced74

by cedced74

Maybe EE Brakes, instead of DA9000... Still powerful and reliable braking, but much lighter !
And why not an Extralite stem : very very light and (I think) stiff enough.

Have a good ride !

MadScientist

by MadScientist

I really do think I need some EE brakes in my life, as soon as they are available again! I realise that's a fairly bespoke/boutique item, but I have been looking for a while!

What about a titanium cassette? Anyone got any experience with omni racer? Although they look to be out of stock at the moment

jeffy

by jeffy

Reynolds attack clincher rims. CX Ray. 240s.

that will drop you +200g

MadScientist

by MadScientist

I really want to stay with these Cosmic's

Best wheels I've ridden.

AZR3

by AZR3

I've used a Bdop alloy cassette for the last 5k mi and it shifted great, just switched it when I replaced the chain. I have another I just put on my climbing bike (11/29 @ 120g including the lockring). While they shift fine I did notice a little more drivetrain noise but it's nothing horrible, just keep everything lubed up and you're good to go.

Plus they're cheap compared to SRAM Red cassettes that I use to run.
http://www.bdopcycling.com

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

SRAM Red calipers come in around 252g, and don't break the bank.
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

parleez1

by parleez1

KB wrote:A big gain would be the wheels. You could save 400 to 500g on a really light tubular wheelset that would send it down quite a bit south of 6kg. The downside is it will cost quite bit. The rest of the build looks in the ballpark for a very light build.

I purchased the same 2014 Black Inc.at the end of April, great bike! I am riding the Enve 3.4 Tubular wheels that came with the bike, they are simply the best wheels I have ever owned! Been riding regularly since April, no flats or any other problems with tubulars. Go back tubular wheels, yo will lighten the bike up considerably.
Good luck.

Trkorb

by Trkorb

Change the cables out to something like Jagwire elite link or another aluminium link set.

I use the Jagwires with dura ace and it works flawlessly, infact I kept downshifting two gears instead of one for a while because of how light the action was.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Not for nothing but the bike is already pretty light at sub 6kg even with the heavy Cosmics. Unless the wheels are swapped out, seem like there isnt much room to shave significant weight off without a huge penalty to the wallet.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: