Campagnolo Chorus Rear Mech Quality

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dave.chippie

by dave.chippie

Has anyone had any issues with build quality of them, just got my second from Merlin cycles (the 1st had a badly bent cage and the jockey wheels did not run in line) and now this one doesn't look right either.
IMG_2130.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mackers

by Mackers

I had one where somehow the top jockey wheel bolt managed to work itself loose after only five or so rides.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

When you set it like that on a completely flat surface, does it wobble at all? Or does it sit solidly without wobbling?
[Edit]: I didn't realize at first you didn't have the pulleys attached. Do the wobble test with the pulleys and the other half of the cage assembled.
Also, when you had the first one installed did the chain want to run off the lower pulley when it's in the small/small combo?
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

There is a small deliberate twist to the cage that I believe has been discussed here before. Not that there could not be a QC issue.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

There should be some twist and there was a batch if mechs that had too much
Only way to tell is to mount it up

dave.chippie

by dave.chippie

The first mech was quite bad in my opinion, the chain was rubbing on the upper part of the cage above the top pulley (in any gear, not just the extremes)and both the jockey wheels were noticeably out of line with each other. And the gears were way out, considering it was all new. Had me paranoid at first that I had been sold a set of old stock shifters but it's all compatable. It doesn't sit flat without the jockey wheels fitted, will try it tomorrow with them fitted to see. If is the case, will have to send this one back too. Don't like to complain, but I'm a long term Campagnolo user and have to say I'm disappointed in this new stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

What you describe does not sound like the issue I was trying to get at it my previous post. But if you say "the gears were way out" and the chain was rubbing on the top part of the cage "above" the top pulley, then that to me indicates a very poorly tuned setup, more of an adjustment issue than a faulty cage. Almost as if the high limit screw is set too far inboard to begin with, or... the cable is just too tight and not aligned with the sprockets, in any gear. Could that be at all possible? And all of this assumes your derailleur hanger is properly aligned of course and not contributing or creating the issue.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wedgie

by wedgie

I had a faulty one. The jockey wheels were significantly out of alignment resulting in a really noisy drive train. I understand there is a deliberate twist in the cage but mine was excessive. I sent photos to the retailer who passed them onto campagnolo and they agreed there was a fault. They replaced the derailleur but not before I returned the original one, resulting in a three week wait. The new one is better but by no means perfect. Shimano is definitely smoother shifting and quieter.

BRM

by BRM

You compare a certain model RD vs a brand

Chorus RD vs Shimano

:roll:

nd2rc

by nd2rc

I've had zero issues with mine. I did install SR pulleys wheels though

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com