Shimano 9070 firmware updates for customizing ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ironman1

by ironman1

About 2 years ago connected internal battery charger to EW-90A 3 port junction box and e tube to change/reverse shift lever blade. Everything worked fine. Rear derailleur quit and received a new one through Shimano warranty. The ne one is continuous shift and I want to change rear back to 1 shift per lever push. Connected charger to junction box as before and uploaded latest firmware. Will connect and all systems are green but will not let me scroll down to customize feature. With the latest firmware do you now need the new diagnostic checker to customize ???
Will downloading a older version allow me to get to custom feature? Or is this just a finicky and try over and over till it connects ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ironman1

by ironman1

Any idea ?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Is the RD still not a single gear per discrete push? Isn't the continuous shift only activated if you hold the shift button in?

glepore

by glepore

I suspect that you need to have the same version of firmware on all, and you may not have loaded it to everything. New rd likely has a later version than everything else. You can run a check and it will show firmware on each component.

Customization is still possible afaik. Notes page for firmware is http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/firmware/
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

ironman1

by ironman1

Ghisallo, yes pushing discreetly You will get one shift at a time, would like to change the continuous shift because sometime I hold the levera tad to long and get multiple shifts when I want one....usually on the downshift.
When I run a connection check everything is OK. Then screen comes up....checking for latest firmware.....screen states latest firmware installed.
Screen will not let me do anything after that but change bike type or exit.
Shouldn't you still be able to make changes through charger with out the buying the diagnosis package ?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

You should be able to update the firmware without the PCE1.

What I have had to do in the past when things weren't updating correctly was erase the Etube software from my computer and then download and install it again. Things worked fine after doing that.

glepore

by glepore

^Yes. The etube software doesn't automatically update. It is possible that you have an rd with a later firmware than the etube on your computer thus it thinks everything has the "latest" version but the rd is actually a gen ahead. Reinstall the latest etube and try again.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

ironman1

by ironman1

Well I uninstalled and re-installed e-tube software 3 times on my laptop. I installed the latest software from Shimano's website direct. Each time e-tube recognized bike and checked for latest update and reported that I had the latest firmware. Software recognizes SMBTR and runs connection check, all is fine but still does NOT allow customization. Tried software on completely different computer with same results. I am wondering if with the new updates that you now need the diagnostic checker to customize.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I customised my new shifters round my mate's house just the other day (I only have Macs).

Just used my normal basic charger, and fine, was able to customise anything I wanted, including rear cassette change speed.

However, I turned down it's offer to update 2 components firmware having had my system die on me last time I tried this (2 years ago). If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

ironman1

by ironman1

Just an update. I uninstalled everything again and then installed an older version of e-tube. Declined several requests for updates. did connection check and then program allowed me to go to customize and everything went perfect.D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com