34/52T Campagnolo shift quality?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RedRacer

by RedRacer

I have a mutant combo of 2014 Campagnolo Comp Ultra 11 - Over-Torque crankset with 2015 Super Record shifters and FD. Currently running compact 34/50 with and 11-27 cassette but I would like a bit more top end so swapping to a 52T ring would be the easiest way. Can anyone that has tried this ring combo comment on the shift quality?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nothing wrong with running a pre 2015 crank with 2015 derailleurs, shifters, etc. But I'm not sure you can get a 52 ring for the 5 arm crank, can you? Prior to the new 4 arm carnks, you basically had to have two cranks if you wanted to run compact rings, versus standard rings. Not sure if there's a 52 Campy ring drilled for the pre 2015 compact crank. I'm also assuming that the Overtorque cranks still came in compact and standard versions.

As for shift quality, I can't see it being that great, as I don't even like the shift quality using standard compact rings of 34/50. Two reasons... and the first is more due just to the ratios than shift quality... 1) With a compact crank, I always found myself jumping between the big ring and little ring far more than on a standard crank, and it became very annoying. I used a compact for part of a season just to test it out, then switched back to standard rings. The only way I'd want the 34 ring now is if I was doing multiple days over a couple of weeks where I was spending the vast majority of my days on very hard, big climbs. 2) The distance between a 50 to a 34 ring that the chain has to drop is already big (bigger than on a standard 39/53)... and you will want a chain catcher for sure. When they first came out, people constantly seemed to be dropping chains on the inside, and that's about the same time the popularity of chain catchers really took off, apart from the now infamous Schleck incident. I'd imagine that issue to be even greater between a 52 and a 34.
Could you get by with a 36/52? I find that's a really nice combination. It behaves much more like a standard 39/53 crank in so far as having to shift between rings goes. I know it would entail getting a new crank, maybe one of the four arm jobs, but then you'd have the ability to change out rings to full standard, mid compact or full compact without having to swap cranks as well. With you being on Overtorque however, and using the 30mm spindle, switching cranks would also mean having to switch bottom brackets as well, but can be done.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Yes you can get 52 rings for the five arm crank. In fact I just missed out on a 52/36 set on eBay.

Ebruner

by Ebruner

You can put a 52 with the 34 but the ramps will be timed for a 36 inner, so upshifts may not be ideal.

-Eddie

WESTMOTORSPORTS

by WESTMOTORSPORTS

Don't know if you are talking mechanical or eps but, I have been using 52/34 and 12-27 cassette with super record eps for 2 seasons. It shifts just like it should. I notice no shifting difference between the 34 and 36. The only setup trick I can tell you is to size your chain in the small/small as Campagnolo recommends but, add (1) link. It makes the chain tension on the small/small ratio a little light but really helps when you are cross chained in the 52! And by the way, never used a chain catcher because I have never dropped a chain. Damn, my secrets out now......... :twisted:

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

To echo Calnago, it'll work but not great, I also found the 50/34 to be unpleasant but functional; the 52/36 is marginally better but the pick up is slow and a bit noisy.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

Kurets

by Kurets

No experience with Campy, but unless you are a monster of a rider, getting the extra two teeth in front wont make much of a difference. 50:11 is a taller gear than 52:12 if you want top end.

My personal preference for compact is 50/36 or 52/38 as the jump between big and small rings is too large otherwise.

Sent from mTalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com