Light weight integrated bars on ebay. Anyone have experience with these?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fabriciom

by fabriciom

Wookski wrote:Really? Roll the dice on these pieces of $h!t for the sake of saving a couple of bucks?

A couple of bucks? The original bontranger xXx go for like 500€.

Sooperlite

by Sooperlite

Roni1 wrote:I have been using these on my road bike and cross bike for past 6 months. Mine are 120 mm and weigh 276 grams. I love them.

Good to see someone using this. Can you provide more detail as to its stiffness, quality, etc?

Also, would you mind posting a picture of it?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

dgasmd wrote:What is Ali? Link?

Ali is short for https://www.aliexpress.com. Cheap Chinese products from A-Z, anything for women underwear to bike parts. Another competitor is http://www.madeinchina.com
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Until someone makes an integrated bar in 130mm/40cm, I'm not buying!

Fixie82

by Fixie82

^^^^ this +1000

djel

by djel

I have Yishun handlebars and stem on my CAAD10 and they have taken quite the abuse....but every time I'm about to hit a bump or I'm descending, I can't help but clench my butt cheeks and hope for the best. They have proven to be solid so far but I think I will always be worrying.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Speaking of missing combinations I've just seen that Vision are releasing the Metron 5 Intergrated bars which come in all combinations. First ones I've seen with a 130mm length and 40cm width.

http://www.visiontechusa.com/products/h ... handlebar/

Marin

by Marin

Yea but they're way heavier than a normal stem + 3T aerobar combo so you would only buy them if you're either overwhelmed by the adjustment options of a classic setup or like really weird shaped drops / have really weird shaped fingers :D

stockae92

by stockae92

djel wrote:I have Yishun handlebars and stem on my CAAD10 and they have taken quite the abuse....but every time I'm about to hit a bump or I'm descending, I can't help but clench my butt cheeks and hope for the best. They have proven to be solid so far but I think I will always be worrying.

You are a brave man sir.

That's no a good feeling and not what I want to think about when I want to keep the rubber side.

Having no assurance on quality for light weight parts is scary. I can probably go with a beefy carbon frame from china from known and proven sellers. its going to be a little heavier but at least they are not try to take away material (without good R&D and QC) in order to hit a low weight target.

glepore

by glepore

My issue with these ( and I have a bunch of made-in-China unbranded stuff) is that Trek had issues with the layup and qc on theirs, so I can't imagine anything good about the stolen mold stuff. Glad to see someone has had a positive experience.
I know that the 340g overbuilt bars I had on the FM066 were fine.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

djel

by djel

stockae92 wrote:You are a brave man sir.

That's no a good feeling and not what I want to think about when I want to keep the rubber side.

Having no assurance on quality for light weight parts is scary. I can probably go with a beefy carbon frame from china from known and proven sellers. its going to be a little heavier but at least they are not try to take away material (without good R&D and QC) in order to hit a low weight target.

...and that's exactly why I will switch to lightweight alu bars (~250g) when I receive my new bike. It's a 60g penalty I'm ready to accept as I want to have 100% confidence in my bike.

McGilli

by McGilli

OP - Looking on my Strava page right now - I currently have ~46,000km on Cheap China bars. That's on 2 different bikes. That doesn't take into account the 2 other bikes I've recently sold which would add another ~10,000.

There was a link posted near the beginning of this thread - and reading through it was funny because I had posted in that thread (and I didn't remember this) talking about the only pair of bars that have ever broken on me were my name brand, legit Deda carbon bars. I loved those bars. Cost me $400 and cracked after 500km if I remember correctly. That was when I decided to try bars from China and they've been excellent.

BTW the combo bar/stem from China I have is what I'd call the most solid of all bars I've ever used. Heavy yeah, but solid.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

McGilli wrote:OP - Looking on my Strava page right now - I currently have ~46,000km on Cheap China bars. That's on 2 different bikes. That doesn't take into account the 2 other bikes I've recently sold which would add another ~10,000.

There was a link posted near the beginning of this thread - and reading through it was funny because I had posted in that thread (and I didn't remember this) talking about the only pair of bars that have ever broken on me were my name brand, legit Deda carbon bars. I loved those bars. Cost me $400 and cracked after 500km if I remember correctly. That was when I decided to try bars from China and they've been excellent.

BTW the combo bar/stem from China I have is what I'd call the most solid of all bars I've ever used. Heavy yeah, but solid.

Random Chinese handlebars from random source is like flipping a coin. Just because you have been lucky with yours it doesn't mean that other buyer will. Quality Assurance is non-existent, there are no product supervisors on duty and there's no equipment to stress test the products. Also, what is the purpose of buying heavy carbon handlebars? Many should admit that purchase decision is solely based on aesthetics.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

ride1970

by ride1970

To me it's not worth the risk on cheap Chinese

Calvaroz

by Calvaroz

Sooperlite wrote:I've come across a very light set of integrated bars on ebay. I'm quite skeptical of the quality, however I haven't written them off as I have no information to validate my hunch.

Here are the bars in question. Claimed weight of 250g for 40cm width and 90mm stem length.

Anyone have these and would care to chime in?

Thanks

i just got one from aliexpress. 260g for a 40cm 90mm.
they seem pretty solid on the handlebar side, i haven't install them on a bike, so no clue yet for the stem rigidity.

i might try them on the trainer this winter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com