Sl3 crack

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

miltmaster2

by miltmaster2

It is the 2 frame that i have crack whating from specialized to see if the will replace it
ImageImage

in watt mode

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

miltmaster2

by miltmaster2

Near to crank set when the s works logo starts

in watt mode

miltmaster2

by miltmaster2

Still no news from them

in watt mode

miltmaster2

by miltmaster2

Almost 2 weeks with no answer......any one have same crack problem?

in watt mode

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

OK that's it ! "product bought and does not get extended over warranty replacements, so I’m afraid we cannot help you with this case since the warranty period of 5 years on the original frame is long finished. " By the way my 1 bike was 2008 model with lifetime warranty and the 2 replacement bike has only 4 years life . Any help would be great

in watt mode
πατα τραβα ρε

2old4this

by 2old4this

That is weird. Are they saying your original frame had lifetime warranty but replacement one had only X years?

mattr

by mattr

kgt

by kgt

I would also expect the warranty to follow the original frame and not its replacement. That sucks...

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

It makes total sense, the frame you bought has a lifetime warranty. The one you received under warranty is not the same frame and therefore the warranty is up.

I have a lifetime warranty on my water heater, it pretty much says the same thing. Funny thing is that I read that before I purchased the water heater. I buy and rarely ever sell, so when I read lifetime, I read the fine print.

Another loophole is if the part broke down 1 day before warranty ends and it gets replaced, then the new part breaks a few days later [outside the original warranty], there is no warranty on that new part even though it is only a couple days old.

So before anyone has a cow, it's pretty much a normal procedure which is why you should read the fine print.

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

The thing is that the new one is 4 years old ( the warranty is 5 years) it make no sense to me

in watt mode
πατα τραβα ρε

ergott

by ergott

You received a warranty replacement bike that had a 5 year warranty on it? That bike in turn cracked after 4 years and they won't honor it's warranty?

How did this one crack?

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

Yes.I don't know how it crack . Probably it is frame issued .

in watt mode
πατα τραβα ρε

BRM

by BRM

Are you sure the crack is in the carbon?
Maybe its only the paint?

In Europe you Always should deal with a seller/shop when possible instead of directly with a manufacturer.
Simply because as a consumer you have a legal agreement with the seller and not with the manufacturer. The responsibility of a seller goes much further than the warranty. When you arrange things aside the seller directly with the manufacturer, you lose the obligations a seller/shop has to you.

Dunno the options in your country, but best is to find a consumer (law) information organisation that can advice you in this. Or maybe you have other sources like law agencies you can ask for help for free. Maybe you have an Insurance for juridical help? Otherwise you can ask a lawyer what to do but then it will cost you money.

BTW
Lifetime warranty is just a term. Every warranty has its own rules and limitations. Also the so called lifetime warranty.
eg Lifetime warranty refers to the life time of a frame (under particular conditions, rules and regulations and limitations) and not your own life. :)

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

That is the next step ask a lawyer I nave no more money to spend for them

in watt mode
πατα τραβα ρε

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

miltmaster3 wrote:OK that's it ! "product bought and does not get extended over warranty replacements, so I’m afraid we cannot help you with this case since the warranty period of 5 years on the original frame is long finished. " By the way my 1 bike was 2008 model with lifetime warranty and the 2 replacement bike has only 4 years life . Any help would be great

in watt mode

Seems like someone's got it wrong. They are saying the original warranty was only for 5 years, but you are saying it was a lifetime warranty. If it was indeed a lifetime warranty, then you should be getting a new frame every time the frame you have cracks like that, regardless of whether it's a replacement frame or not. So long as the crack is real, and not just a crack in the paint. I knew a guy who went through three Cervelo frames under warranty, and while they had no problem replacing his frames (lifetime warranty), he got tired of the whole ordeal and lost confidence so he sold the last frame he got and moved on to a different brand.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ