Is Campagnolo EPS reliable enough for a winter-long training camp?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vilegnus

by vilegnus

Hi, guys!

I'm a big fan on Campi EPS ergonomics and performance (rode an Athena EPS equiped bike in 2015), and have an opportunity to buy an SR EPS groupset for a pretty reasonable price.
But i have a doubt about long-term durability and reliability of this groupset.

Is it reliable enough for a long winter camp on Cyprus, or would it be better for me to stick with a mechanical groupset? Anyway i'm going to divorce with Red22

Ebruner

by Ebruner

I have over 20,000 miles combine on 2 SR EPS equipped with zero problems. I took one EPS bike to tally to ride the Alps, and would not hesitate to take it again.

-Eddie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

I have not read or heard of any 'reliability' issues with EPS.......3 years user here with no problems At All.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I have it on five bikes - three with V2 and two with V3. The V2 bikes will have two full seasons on them at the end of this one. No problems whatsoever.

ronderman

by ronderman

I got V1 - no issues whatsoever and the battery lasts way longer than a training camp.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have 3 v2 and one v1, the v1 had a power unit issue and I know more than one person that has had v1 power unit issues.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Like anything electric... Completely reliable, till it's not. Concurring with @Butcher, I've only heard of the V1 power units having some issues and one failed on my buddy's bike. But if you're getting new V3 stuff, should be good.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

cymans

by cymans

I too have SR EPS V3, and i have be caught on 4 occasions were the rain has been so bad that it was hard to see the road in front of me.
No issues so far......But, I'm still not 100% happy with the rear mech shifting. It is not as fast and precise as Di2 DA. The front shifting is a tad better on the EPS.
The SR chainset is a jewel.
If i had a choice again i would go for the DA for sure.

vilegnus

by vilegnus

thanks guys.
i think , i should try. in the worst case i'll have a great topic to discuss in the web ))

XCProMD

by XCProMD

In my experience EPS is the most reliable shifting system on offer and the best shifting too.

The V3 seems to shift even better at the rear but it could be a stiffer hanger or some other frame related improvement in my case.

My first V1 from 2009 has seen many km and is still going strong.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

fabriciom

by fabriciom

I've got a problem with EPS.

I can't afford it.

Ebruner

by Ebruner

cymans wrote:I too have SR EPS V3, and i have be caught on 4 occasions were the rain has been so bad that it was hard to see the road in front of me.
No issues so far......But, I'm still not 100% happy with the rear mech shifting. It is not as fast and precise as Di2 DA. The front shifting is a tad better on the EPS.
The SR chainset is a jewel.
If i had a choice again i would go for the DA for sure.

I can't image the DA shifting any better than EPS, but even if it was possible to be better, you could not pay me to mount those awful looking levers on my bars.

-Eddie

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I'm another early adopter, and have v1, v2 and v3 on multiple bikes. It's much more reliable than I expected. Thousands of miles between charges.
Also, EPS levers are the most comfortable levers aver made.

Geoff

by Geoff

No issue with 'reliability', both of EPS and Di2 are excellent. The battery for EPS does not last as long as Di2, but if you use the magnet to turn the system to 'standby' mode after riding, it will last much longer.

What do you mean 'winter-long'? Here in Canada, that would mean October to May (maybe early October to late May, too). For sure, I would need to recharge EPS in that timeframe. For Di2, I would just bring a spare battery. They do have electricity there, too...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vilegnus

by vilegnus

Geoff wrote:What do you mean 'winter-long'? Here in Canada, that would mean October to May (maybe early October to late May, too). For sure, I would need to recharge EPS in that timeframe. For Di2, I would just bring a spare battery. They do have electricity there, too...

I mean, that it is next to impossible to buy something more interesting than 105 derailleur in Limassol or Larnaca.
If something goes wrong, i'll wait about a week to buy a replacement part