Bike build advice: progress with or wait for discs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Courtly

by Courtly

Hi all

I've been putting together a new build Giant Propel SL and I now have all parts except for the rest of the groupset (Sram etap). I was planning on building it this weekend but all the press at Eurobike has now made me think rim brakes are now outdated, and I should wait until the etap hyrdo disc is released in early 2017 and build a disc-enabled frame.

I would use that bike for all weather as I like the idea of having a nice bike all year around, and am not bothered about having to replace components more often, as the discs should mean the wheels are more resilient.

If I proceed with the intended build, i'll get a second, cheaper bike for the winter (or downgrade my Canyon Ultimate CF SLX to a winter steed).

Advice welcome; i'm completely split!

corky

by corky

I think there are a lot of people waiting for a) UCI sanctioning b) some kind of standards to emerge vis a vis through axle and disc diameter dimensions and flat/post mount c) Campagnolo to bring their offering to market.

Maybe get through another winter and then decide?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

It's going to be a few years before all of this is sorted out. Just proceed with your build and ride. You have a frame. Why wait for a mythical 2017 group.

Shrike

by Shrike

Too soon. It's all just about to kick off now. We've seen a new BB standard and thru axle design just this week, and we know all the manufacturers are going to get lobbied to take it to market.

AJ above reckons a few years and that would be my guess too. Lighter more aero disc brakes will emerge around then also. I'd bank my cash for now. FWIW, I tried direct mount Ultegra this week and it's class. Way better than my Dura Ace.

Anything released this year will be dated as bad as rim brakes come 2019.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Ah, it's nice to be a fair weather rider and let all this disc craziness blow overhead while I enjoy a currently available very light and aero bike.

If I rode in rain and muck I'd get discs but there seems to be plenty of bikes available now with thru axles, flat mounts, and dual 160 rotors. That seems like a safe bet.

Courtly

by Courtly

I guess i'm torn between the options. My bike build will comprise:

- Giant Propel SL frameset
- Easton EC90 Aero 55 wheelset
- Zipp SL70 aero handlebar
- Sram eTap groupset
- Fourier Brakes

Or for the same money (I managed to buy the above at good prices), I could get the new Cannondale Supersive Evo Hi-Mod disc Ultegra Di2:

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale- ... e-EV280298

My head says the Giant as it's a great spec for the money and i'll have to sell the parts I've purchased (all unused), but I'm worried i'll regret not having disc brakes in the winter months, where the Giant will be almost useless with the carbon brake track.

For what it's worth, I don't race, but I do commute, cycle in evenings and weekends and do a lot of sportives.

Shrike

by Shrike

Well if you're interested I have a pair of new Reynolds Strike 62mms that came with a new Aeroad last week sitting here. Warranty still unregistered, brand new. UK too. Gonna sell them, looking around 1100 delivered.

Just throwin it out there!

FWIW, the Ultegra Di2 is class. Love how smooth and responsive it shifts. Pretty dreamy stuff.

lovemyway

by lovemyway

I'm kinda on the same page, I currently ride Specialized CruX with disc brakes (only road) and I really like the feel and the certainty they give me in different situations. And it's not like I'm riding some crazy descents - its mostly flats - but still, they work really fine (even though they make noise sometimes). One week ago I've had a test ride with both Sram Etap mechanical and Sram Etap disc and I didn't feel the rim option was not being able to stop the bike (even though I'm pretty big, 90kgs), but then again, disc brakes felt just better, maybe it's placebo effect.

Ideally I'd just get an S-Works Tarmac with discs (but not the etap version, I dislike the paint), maybe even the Venge disc, though it felt pretty inferior to me in comparison with Tarmac; I could feel the bottom bracket flex a little under load. I will probably wait for new Canyon disc models too see where this goes; it seems more refined, at least in comparison with Tarmac (through-axles).

If I were you, I'd at least consider the giant disc options (TCR/Defy), supersix evo, regular tarmac and domanes.

MoPho

by MoPho

You could get the "entry level" Giant TCR advanced disc (or similar) for a winter bike, and keep the Propel.

Personally, I did a 50+ mile demo on a TCR Advanced Pro disc and immediately placed an order, so will be selling my current TCR SL. Despite being 2lbs heavier and "less aero" than my current bike, I PR'd every climb we did on the ride. :noidea:
That said, I was already predisposed in favor of disc brakes from my previous experiences, and I do a lot of technical descending. I am not too concerned about standards changing, there will always be something new coming out, but for now there seems to be some settlement on 12mm thru-axles.

Jwab

by Jwab

Just speaking from my own experience - I recently moved to a hillier area and decided to sell my Propel Advanced SL because I found it uncomfortable after a few hours and also I wanted more of a pure climbing bike with rim-brakes. However, after seeing all the press about disc-brake bikes that's been coming out lately, I am going to hold off until spring and most likely get a disc-brake bike. I have a CX disc bike that will get me through the winter.

I was skeptical about road discs at first, but it seems like it or not, that's the way the market is heading. Another thing to think of - if in 1 or 2 years you want to sell your Propel, what will the market be like for that kind of bike if everyone is moving to disc brakes? My thinking was best to sell my rim-brake equipment while there is still demand, then use that money on a nice disc bike next spring.

Just my 2 cents.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Courtly

by Courtly

Thanks for all your advice, I've finally made a decision and pulled the plug on a Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Ultegra di2 disc. Now to sell the parts from the other bike build...!

I decided the disc brakes should allow me to enjoy the bike all year round, instead of just the summer. It won't be as aero as the giant, but should be just as much fun.