Freehub exploded, how bad is it? [PIC]

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

The thread that holds the cassette lockring has a chipped off part. Chipped off part is about 40% of the top thread or two. Technically you can still get some purchase on the lockring and tighten it a bit. After a turn it just spins free again..

Was gunning it on the smallest sprocket and suddenly it felt like something snapped. Thought was about to die, but was okay, just the smallest sprocket was spinning freely. Shifting up to easier sprockets got me home.

I've just now managed to get the lockring to bite by pushing hard down on it while turning it slowly. Even managed to get a lot of torque on it after I was sure it had bit properly. Should be fine right?

Can that part be replaced? Had a look online for Shimano 11 speed freehub body and didn't see any. 10 speed etc yes.

I need to be back on the road tomorrow so.. really want a home fix tonight if possible, even if temporary until I can get new parts and think I've got it sorted.

Fulcrum Racing 5 LG, shimano 11 speed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

snaaijer

by snaaijer

If you can get the lockring to stay on I'd say ride it if you must, just don't use the smallest gear. And get a new freehub body asap. I'd be surprised if there is a reliable quick fix that will allow you to use the smallest cog without changing the body.

Shrike

by Shrike

Cheers guys! 75 Euros on a post-Brexit exchange rate though!