11 Speed crank with 10 speed?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

You don't need to use an 11-speed chain.

The inner width is the same as 10-speed, so the chainring doesn't know the difference.

I haven't tried running an 11-speed chain on an otherwise 10-speed drivetrain, but intuitively I believe it should run a little quieter, since there is fractionally less chance of chain rub on adjoining sprockets, and less chance at the FD.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

sawyer

by sawyer

I've run 11 speed Campag chains on otherwise 10 speed set-ups

It works fine. Can't say I find it much quieter but certainly isn't noisier. About the same

One difference I find is that it is slightly more picky about wear on cassettes than a 10S chain. That might be real or imagined to be honest as you'll appreciate there are a lot of variables going on

I've also used 11 speed crank on otherwise 10S drivetrains including chain, and again, works fine. Can't notice any difference in operation here
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fh8425

by fh8425

i had a velo(folding mini bike) a while back and ran a 11 speed DA(Crank, FD) on a 10 speed cassette & RD cos the 11 speed shifters (for flat bar) were not avail back then. I used a 10 speed chain without any issue except noticed some scratches on the back of the large chain ring. I suspect maybe the 10 speed chain is thicker and caused the scratches during shifting between large and small chain ring.

shuonz

by shuonz

Tried and tested on shimano, 11 speed crank works with 10 speed components and vice versa (unless you are super pedantic about shifting performance to single digit percentage performance differences).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kurets

by Kurets

Got a Rival 22 chainset on my CX bike with otherwise 10-speed components. Works well enough, but only about 400km on the rig so far. Lots of front shifting though, compared to a road bike around where I live (big ring all day every day).

Sent from mTalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kongbop

by Kongbop

There are no problems, using 11s crankset with the other 10s group