Time X-presso 12 vs Look KéO BLADE 2 Premium Carbon Ti vs Dura Ace PD-9000

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Juanmoretime wrote:
Hawkwood wrote:
Juanmoretime wrote:Over 4 years on my Xpresso 12's. I did have to replace the bushing once so far and will probably be ready to do again this winter. Other than that over 20,000 miles of issue free pedaling.

Did you replace the bushing with bearings, it works a treat?

Went bushing since Time USA did it for free. Mdeth1313 did the Mavic version of the Xpresso 12's recently with the three bearings and said the job was pretty easy and he's pretty pleased with how they work.

The job is very easy. I now find I get no problems from the outboard bearings, though the inboard ones are still susceptible to water damage in very wet conditions. Still being able to service the pedals is a big plus considering some reviews say they can't be serviced.

In response to the original question, as others have posted it's about what type of float and engagement you prefer. Time works for me, Look doesn't.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

I've extensively used Look and Shimano over the years.

Look are lighter and have improved their platform with the Blade 2. Bearings are hit and miss though.

Shimano as others have said are fit and forget and more consistent quality but heavier. I like having light pedals and ride Campag so am happy using Look for the time being
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

tmr5555

by tmr5555

Time cleats are made of cheese

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

tmr5555 wrote:Time cleats are made of cheese

Must be tough cheese then!

Maelochs

by Maelochs

I just started using Expresso 10s---for the money, they cannot be beat. Lighter than most everything else (190 g/pair,) $120 US delivered, and above all, really easy to clip into. I ride roads but do not race so for me, clipping and unclipping is more frequent, and I find the Expressos are A.) really easy to connect with and B.) can be pedaled securely unclipped in an emergency ... like if I Need to get out of an intersection in a hurry and cannot mess with clipping in.

I read about wear, but most people seem to say they still work even when the cleats are worn. I got cleat covers for whenever I need to walk.

eric01

by eric01

Dura ace. Have tried look, speed play, time. Rode the old rxs for a number of years but then the upgrade bug got me. Then I cycled through all the others. Didn't consider dura ace initially because of the weight but all sorts of problems with the others finally put me on dura ace. Been 4 years and never looked back. Running dura ace on all my bikes now
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

2old4this

by 2old4this

I have a different point of view. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, buy both.

I have a few Xpresso 15s and a few DAs.
For the ease of mounting and unmounting, and great feeling float, and for the weight, go with Xpresso. Where I live, it does not rain a lot. Still, I have to re-grease them once in a while. Plus, if you are a big guy, I do not know if I would trust them. They look very fragile...
For durability and maintenance freeness, go with DA. They are heavy but solid. I have one pair that I had done no maintenance for the last four years.

RussellS

by RussellS

Many decades ago I had the original Look and original Time pedals. Back in the late 80s and early 90s. Got a new road bike in 1998. Got Dura Ace SPD-SL pedals. Happily used them ever since on all road racing bikes. Ultegra and Dura Ace models. Use regular SPD Shimano mountain pedals on the bikes I need walking shoes. Weight may not be spectacular. But there is no arguing with performance.

defride

by defride

I'm doing about 6000m a year on the Time's. I've had to replace one set of 6's on the winter bike after about 2 years and have about 1500m on a set of 12's. I like the function and the weight but do go through more cleats than I'd like, 2-3 sets a year

rsiv

by rsiv

I'm running Look's on my venge, about to pick up some Xpresso 15's for my climbing bike, for what it's worth.
S-Works Venge 54cm 7245.62
Etap & Quarq DZero

jobvisser

by jobvisser

using time XPresso 2 right now, feels very good as it has much play in it. Very good price/weight ratio
---> :oops: Send me a pm to order world's lightest low carbon fiber dust covers! (1g) :oops: <---

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Running Xpresso 12 and 15's....both excellent but do take some time to get accustomed to granted the generois amount of float. My only gripe is how rubbish the cleats are as I'm ripping through two sets a year, even with cleat covers...
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: