Less laggy power meters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

petromyzon

by petromyzon

3 years on Quarq Elsa R/Garmin 500 and 510, set up to record 1 sec.

I get lag when starting pedalling and I'm pretty sure I always have done, I don't think it's related to the fact that I only bother viewing 10sec averages because of the inherent stochasticity.
My Powertaps are much quicker - presumably partly because they average per hub rev not per crank rev.

I note that Boysa feels differently.
I just live with it - I have to say that short intervals at 180% are HARD and I would barely even bother looking at the power, probably wouldn't bother pushing lap, would just come back and review the efforts in GoldenCheetah later.

I like my PTs but they are prone to over-reporting the max power in short (<5s) efforts when compared to a crank based device. There is no perfect solution - but it is nice to have both hub and crank to check they agree for longer threshold efforts.

I think you are over-thinking the issue and I certainly wouldn't buy a new Quarq or the new P2M NG with the expectation that it would be solved.

Just my opinion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

reknop

by reknop

I'm using a Pioneer SGY-PM910HL Dura Ace 9000 Single Leg Power Meter combined with the Pioneer SGX-CA500 Cycle Computer. Because the force and direction is measured 12 times per crank rotation, you have a pretty much real time view. Pioneer calls it HDpower metrics ... :)

http://www.remo-knops.com/5281/pioneer- ... em-review/

So far happy en can't complain about the system. :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

Darceking

by Darceking

I find my Pioneer is laggy compared to my Stages V2 when I use the Garmin 1000 unit. But if I switch to the Pioneer SGX-CA500 computer, the Pioneer updates faster and seems more on point.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Darceking wrote:I find my Pioneer is laggy compared to my Stages V2 when I use the Garmin 1000 unit. But if I switch to the Pioneer SGX-CA500 computer, the Pioneer updates faster and seems more on point.

... which clearly shows it is a head unit (usually Garmin ;) ) problem, not a power meter problem.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

warx

by warx

well i won't say the head unit does not factor but my tests (using Suunto stick and Mac & TR) show there is significant lag to the first reported power being transmitted. So all I could say was that perhaps the Garmin was responsible for 0.5 to 1 sec in lag.

I'll try another ANT USB stick (Garmin) and some debugging ANT software (PC only). I need the new stick as the Suunto does not work with the Mac and Golden Cheetah live training I guess.

boysa

by boysa

Anyone using P2M with a PC7 or PC8 head unit? Curious if it is different.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Geoff

by Geoff

I know this doesn't seem to be a popular answer, but you won't have a problem with SRM...

bungis

by bungis

mrlobber wrote:
Darceking wrote:I find my Pioneer is laggy compared to my Stages V2 when I use the Garmin 1000 unit. But if I switch to the Pioneer SGX-CA500 computer, the Pioneer updates faster and seems more on point.

... which clearly shows it is a head unit (usually Garmin ;) ) problem, not a power meter problem.

No it doesn't clearly show that. If anything it shows that it's a Pioneer problem if it can't record data fast on a non-proprietary head unit. The Stages doesn't seem to have a problem.

Also saying it's usually Garmin is silly because Garmin has the vast majority of use so of course there's more vocal problems. In fact, this post just added another despite not being an actual occurrence. The only thing that matters is incidence per operation.

Another thing that hurts Garmin, even though it should be the opposite, is that they're more public facing with youtube channels and a massive forum on their website. Pioneer doesn't even have a forum for cycling products, only DJs apparently. Therefore if someone has a problem you're much less likely to hear about it on the internet.

warx

by warx

Well the new bike (Venge Pro Disc) is ordered so settled on FACT Pro crankset. Holding off PM choice for the moment but would like to have it by the time the bike arrives in a month (can't imagine cycling without a PM!!). Choices available are:

- Quarq Elsa (Spezd Speedzone) as their new DZero platform is not going to be available for FACT
- P2M Type S. Awaiting word on the P2M NG.
- SRM. Concerned about Garmin 520 compatibility though.

I am now less excited about newer options like BLE. I sort of like ANTs ability to interoperate across bikes/head units etc. Pairing has always been contentious for me (even with my garmins, phone and Viiiiva).

warx

by warx

I think the P2M lag is mainly from their cadence accelerometers. The reported cadence is slow. The power is derived from the cadence (and torque). So when I start from 0W (and 0rpm) it does not report any power until there's some rpms. However, if I am spinning and step up the torque the power changes much more quickly so it seems the torque element of the equation is responsive.

Conversely in other tests if shift up a gear or two the power jumps up a lot since the torque goes up but it still thinks the cadence is the same. It falls to expected after the 5s lag. Likewise shifting down a gear or two the power drops and returns in 5s.

P2M Type NG is now reportedly Dec and 50% more in price which is a shame. On the Quarq front I suppose them dropping the FACT option means its easier to sell a full crankset for only $80 more. This might be a good option although the setup is so damned light I wonder about stiffness - especially going away from the Spec FACT cranks that are pretty stiff. This bike will see sprint efforts so stiffness wins over weight for me.

ave

by ave

One thing is for sure, my old GSC10 reports changes in cadence much faster than the P2M.
As power is calculated with that cadence value power must lag too. It's a minor issue for me when synching dashboard data with the camera footage for my race videos.
But for training I don't see this a problem. I certainly do not watch my Garmin every second during an interval. Anyway, I know quite precisely what sort of power I am pushing without looking.

dalex

by dalex

I run two SRMs (and currently borrowing another) with a Garmin 520 and a 510. No noticeable lag with any of them; one of the reasons I value SRMs. I tried a first generation Rotor Power meter (dual sided) and that had horrible lag.

Sacke

by Sacke

Rotor just updated their inPower power meters to be more responsive too.

"New INpower firmware offers faster reaction time to speed changes
The new INpower firmware version 2.202 feature a faster reaction time for faster displaying changes in performance data on your cycling computer screen. You can immediately see performance data changes, thereby allowing you to train and analyze your data more efficiently. "

chipomarc

by chipomarc

You need to set head unit to read out at 3" average or else the numbers will be jumping around so much as to be useless while riding

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com