What bikes look good in 'bigger' sizes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

I'm 193 cm so ride 61/62 CM bikes and they, well...always looks kind of big and unwieldy. I ride quite a sporty position but they never seem to 'look right' Anyone got any ideas what bikes size up well into the bigger frame sizes. I had a Pino Paris until a spill wrecked it and I thought that still looked a great bike in a 62CM frame size. Any pics there of bikes for the taller gentleman?

Nejmann

by Nejmann

I'm 195cm and have had a pinarello in 59.5, so maybe go for a smaller frame? I did ride a 58 cm tarmac with a long seatpost. But looked abit funny. I have had a caad10 as well. I think no sloping frames looks Best in bigger sizes. F8, supersix and so on

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xena
Banned

by xena

Its the big head tubes IMO that make larger bikes ugly.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

xena wrote:Its the big head tubes IMO that make larger bikes ugly.

I think that is right I do wonder if I could 'get'away' with a 58cm bike but I do like the stretched out feel of a slightly longer top tube. Even a CM or two shorter and I start to feel cramped. I run a 13CM stem and anything longer also starts to look odd as well.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Aaach... don't become the lady in a shoe store who thinks she's a size 6 when she's really a size 10. I'm not as tall as you but my preferred size in a colnago for example is a 61 Traditional. A lot of how it ends up "looking" has to do with setup. But there's nothing worse than being on a bike that's too small. I see too many big guys riding cramped on a small frame, probably because some kid in a bike shop told them that "smaller is better" without taking a whole gamut of other things into account, like how heavy you are and how aggressive your fit is. Weight distribution plays an important role in the ultimate handling of your bike and a waiflike pro racer who is 193 cm tall with no weight on top could probably "get away" with a smaller frame easier than a guy of the same height who is carrying some extra weight around. Forget for a moment that the pro racer will probably want a very low front end (which is the main reason they go smaller), but because they don't weigh much above the waist they don't alter the center of gravity nearly the same way a heavier fellow would in the same position, which could make a small frame handle even sketchier, especially on the steep downhills.
Anyway, first and foremost stick with a size that you know works for you, and don't get something that forces you in a cramped position.

Here's some Colnagos of mine, the C50 on the left being a 62 Traditional and the C59 and EPQ on the right both being 61 Traditionals. Saddle height on these guys is ~804mm to a straight edge across the top of the saddle. Oh, and I'm not a fan of the larger sloping Colnago frames as they do get a bit unwieldly looking to my eye. Leave the slopers to the shorter guys as they can look very good when built up nicely. And just as a disclaimer, yes, there are of course exceptions to all of this... nothing is carved in stone. Also, some bikes, even of the same model, just look better in some sizes than they do in others.

Last edited by Calnago on Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AJS914

by AJS914

It's hard to beat a traditional horizontal top tube for the larger sizes when it comes to looks and proportions.

simnorm

by simnorm

Nejmann wrote:I'm 195cm and have had a pinarello in 59.5, so maybe go for a smaller frame? I did ride a 58 cm tarmac with a long seatpost. But looked abit funny. I have had a caad10 as well. I think no sloping frames looks Best in bigger sizes. F8, supersix and so on

What size was your Caad10. I'm the same height. I have a 62cm focus with 205mm headtube

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Calnago wrote:Here's some Colnagos of mine, the C50 on the left being a 62 Traditional

Yes I am very reluctant to change my bike size. Hate being cramped on the bike. That Colango C59 does just look 'right' Maybe a trad frame rather than a sloping or semi sloping is the answer. Do you think colour helps as well? Maybe just one colour rather than a scheme that has lines and graphics helps to disguise things. Great bikes by the way!

BRM

by BRM

You are trying to select a new bikeframe on looks.
Wrong start.

You should start with the purpose and handling you have in mind for your new bike.

Second step is to look to your body proportions/measurements to get the right geo that matches both steps.

Third is to bring in your personal preferences like looks.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Maybe you should take a look at the Trek Emonda as well. They have nice lines I think and build up really well. I have a 60 Emonda SL and it has a taller headtube than the Colnagos above but the lines are nice. It looks "right". What is your saddle height and saddle to bar drop by the way as that has a big bearing on how things ultimately end up, determining how many headset spacers you'll need etc. Do you have a pic of your current bike? A larger Cannondale might work for you as well.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Carl Strong

xena
Banned

by xena

Hansen's bike's look pretty good.Image
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

fa63

by fa63

AJS914 wrote:It's hard to beat a traditional horizontal top tube for the larger sizes when it comes to looks and proportions.

+1. A little slope is OK too, like Cannondale Super Six / CAAD12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plag

by plag

All those Colnagos look perfect for their size .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

My son's Trek Madone 6.5 is a 61cm.