What bikes look good in 'bigger' sizes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Marin wrote:
4ibanez wrote:My Supersix is a 58cm. Wish the headtube was lower but I've lost all the steerer I possibly can!]

With negative setback on the saddle and the super slammed bars, you should obviously be on a smaller frame!

There's actually hardly any room on the rails to move the saddle much further back, maybe 1cm max. I'm 6'3, I have long arms and legs, so I personally don't think I want to be on a smaller frame than a 58cm. If anything I need more reach! I may experiment moving the saddle back that extra cm, which may help. If I thought I could get away with a smaller (lighter) frame then I would.

Seedster

by Seedster

Skylon and 695 look great in bigger sizes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Two 61's and a 62 below.... a lot depends on the build. I've seen farmgates and great builds in all sizes, big or small (they have small farmgates too). However, it's been a lot easier to build a great looking larger bike since the adoption of thicker tubes etc. From there, it's all about proportions and choices and fit. It's all for not if it doesn't fit, so that's always gotta be the overriding factor. But I've seen some really ugly looking builds and the owner says something like "well, it has to be that way because of such and such anomaly". Usually, a couple of tweaks and it can look much better without compromising fit in the least. And some geometries work better for some than others. There are frames which I like but know I would have a difficult time getting them to "look right", even though I may be able to fit on them. The key is to find frames that work for you. Pros have to ride what the sponsors provide, and they can really make anything work. It's just a tool to them. To many of us on this forum, the bicycle is much more than a "tool", and not something we want to throw away and replace year after year.

Image[/url]IMG_0698.jpg
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

russianbear

by russianbear

I think the things to look out for are shapes of headtube that minimise their size (not too thick front to back). I think the XXL Scott Addict looks pretty good as well.

Edit: I'll also add BMC SLR to the list of good looking 60cm frames.

Here is my size 60 (h2 geo) Trek Emonda SL

Radiokopf

by Radiokopf

A Bianchi Oltre in 61. I am 193cm...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

4ibanez wrote:There's actually hardly any room on the rails to move the saddle much further back, maybe 1cm max. I'm 6'3, I have long arms and legs, so I personally don't think I want to be on a smaller frame than a 58cm. If anything I need more reach! I may experiment moving the saddle back that extra cm, which may help. If I thought I could get away with a smaller (lighter) frame then I would.

Looks like a 2.5 cm shorter top tube with a 2.5cm setback post should work fine. The saddle seems to limit setback too.

With the corresponding lower stack you'd be able to run a normal -17° stem too.

Treelegs

by Treelegs

The problem with sloping top tubes is the required seat post length. I'm 6'4" and use 87cm from bb to seat rails. While most bikes have around 73-74* st angle, when you go up 87cm you get pretty far back for a setback seat post.

Many 61cm to 62cm frames really stretch me out a bit much. While 58cm frames have only 55cm CTT, necessitating a 420mm seat post.

Looking balanced while on the fringe of large bikes is a definitely challenging.

jever98

by jever98

Treelegs wrote:The problem with sloping top tubes is the required seat post length. I'm 6'4" and use 87cm from bb to seat rails. While most bikes have around 73-74* st angle, when you go up 87cm you get pretty far back for a setback seat post.

Many 61cm to 62cm frames really stretch me out a bit much. While 58cm frames have only 55cm CTT, necessitating a 420mm seat post.

Looking balanced while on the fringe of large bikes is a definitely challenging.

I have been in the same position, even had 89cm saddle height. In the end I moved to mid-foot cleats, as I don't sprint anyway and it allowed me to drop my seat by about 3cm (with thin soled shoes). The improvements in bike handling (lower center of gravity, lower lever lengths overall) were palpable.

Have a good amount of exposed seat post is not something I am averse to - it gives some good compliance on big bumps if set up right.

Re the setback - I personally don't mind an in-line post (it's lighter and I like the look). If you do, some manufacturers, like Canyon, don't reduce the seat tube angle in big sizes, so you will get a bit less set back (for reference - at 87cm a 73.5deg SA instead of 72.5deg moves you forward by about 1.5cm).

Cheers
Jever
----
No longer in the industry

moonoi

by moonoi

I just picked up my Madone 9 in a 60 H2 fit, can't make up my mind if it looks good or not, although I think some deeper profile wheels will help, it just looks a little bit too tall and squashed up to me in the picture, but it doesn't look that way in person.

Delorre

by Delorre

moonoi wrote:I just picked up my Madone 9 in a 60 H2 fit, can't make up my mind if it looks good or not, although I think some deeper profile wheels will help, it just looks a little bit too tall and squashed up to me in the picture, but it doesn't look that way in person.

I'm a big fan of the new madone, but compared to your (I suppose?) c60, this one looks a little "dull", cheap, and less into proportions. 50mm wheels would look a lot better, and of course, ditch that bartape, please :shock:

Seedster

by Seedster

Something just doesn't work well with the Madone in that size, but it's still a great frame from what I hear.

Wonder if it's due to the matte color? Perhaps the factory red color would help.

moonoi

by moonoi

Maybe, will see if the deeper wheels help.

Definitely my C60 works much better visually.

Bartape was free, so giving it a try (Bontrager Cork Gel), generally most tapes only last a few months for me, so plain black will be going on soon [emoji4]

1415chris

by 1415chris

I think the angle the picture was taken from doesn't help and definitely deeper section wheels would improve bike's perception.

moonoi

by moonoi

Now it looks better, stole the wheels off my Allez Sprint [emoji6]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

Venge's looks goodthe new or the older ones but only with deep wheels profile